What do you expect from your First Lady/Leading Lady

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
My dh and I are going back at his home church to help them out because they are without a Pastor. Right now he is just there to assist but there is a chance that they could ask him to take the Pastorship which would make me the First Lady/Leading Lady. Nothing is for sure yet but I wanted opionion on what you expect from your first lady at your church.

TIA

PaperClip

Love
Character
Integrity
Wisdom
Common Sense
Participation
Awareness
Discretion (no gossiping!)
Positive attitude
Approachable

bludacious

I have learn not to expect anything of anyone because we are all human. I have two things that I think 1st ladies should possess...

1. woman of God
2. Stand by her husband

mrsmeredith

I agree with the first reply. Approachability and Confidentiallity are a must. Also, to have the mind of God, heart of your husband and a love for people. Learn to speak the word of God not your emotions, experience or opinions when dealing with other peoples problem. Let your marriage be an example of Gods greatest union.

firecracker

RelaxerRehab said:
Love
Character
Integrity
Wisdom
Common Sense
Participation
Awareness
Discretion (no gossiping!)
Positive attitude
Approachable

I totally agree with the above. I expect the same from all people no matter what the title though.

PaperClip

mrsmeredith said:
I agree with the first reply. Approachability and Confidentiallity are a must. Also, to have the mind of God, heart of your husband and a love for people. Learn to speak the word of God not your emotions, experience or opinions when dealing with other peoples problem. Let your marriage be an example of Gods greatest union.

I was trying to think of the word confidentiality when I wrote discretion. I agree with your post and the other one re. supporting your husband and helping him in ministry.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Thanks ladies,

I ask because I was reading somewherere where are first lady was asked could she play the piano, sing and she stated no and the members was like " Well what do you do then". It sounds funny but sometimes that is what people are thinking and expecting.

PaperClip

LadyR said:
Thanks ladies,

I ask because I was reading somewherere where are first lady was asked could she play the piano, sing and she stated no and the members was like " Well what do you do then". It sounds funny but sometimes that is what people are thinking and expecting.

Well those members were out of order and hopefully that gave that first lady a sense of what she was going to have to deal with so hopefully she got a (GODLY) game plan in place....

cocoberry10

The only thing I expect from a first lady is that she be a woman of God.

I almost feel like you should only seek to be an ambassador of the Lord in this position. People have stereotypical views of what the first lady should be like, but God will use you for His glory.

Ask the Lord to show you how to be the greatest helpmeet to your husband you can be (if he is in the Pastor position). And also ask God to show you how to serve in the church. The first lady at my old church helped lead women's Bible study. She wasn't the timid type, and the women of the church truly loved her. Yes she did sing and play piano, but she also had a Ph.D which showed she was a strong woman on her own.

Maybe you can lead women's ministry or help create a ministry based on your God-given gifts and talents. Be blessed sister, not stressed!

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
The first lady of my church sings and plays the piano but that's not what makes her stand out. She is EXTREMELY approachable and friendly. If she sees someone that she doesn't recognize before service starts, she introduces herself and offers to have them sit next to her during the service. Very humble, down to earth and sweet. :)

Another thing is - Although she's the bishop's wife, the chuch as a whole doesn't make this big "hoopla" over her just because she's the first lady. Of course she gets her due recognition but it's not a whole bunch of "extra" piled onto her profile.

Honey6928215

LadyR,

Just in case you become a First Lady here are some pointers. Be honest and true to yourself as well as to the congregation. Like someone said don't be the pilar of gossip in the church and always make sure that the congregation can trust you with the issues or problems they may have in their homelife. They will need someone to confide in and the last thing they need is someone to tell others their business.

I feel that the best you can do is try to contact some of the First Ladies of other churches and ask them what they do as a First Lady. If anyone can get a first hand account of being one it's them.

HTH.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Honey6928215 said:
LadyR,

Just in case you become a First Lady here are some pointers. Be honest and true to yourself as well as to the congregation. Like someone said don't be the pilar of gossip in the church and always make sure that the congregation can trust you with the issues or problems they may have in their homelife. They will need someone to confide in and the last thing they need is someone to tell others their business.

I feel that the best you can do is try to contact some of the First Ladies of other churches and ask them what they do as a First Lady. If anyone can get a first hand account of being one it's them.

HTH.

That is already done. My first lady is the prime example of what I expire to be. I also belong to an association for Minister's Wives and Widow so I have manywomen to see for an example, both good and bad. I really wanted to see what your would look for.

Honey6928215

LadyR said:
That is already done. My first lady is the prime example of what I expire to be. I also belong to an association for Minister's Wives and Widow so I have manywomen to see for an example, both good and bad. I really wanted to see what your would look for.

Well one thing you have t look out for is the ones who will try to get close to your husband and also will try to be your friend because of who you are. You and your husband will encounter some opportunists for namesake. I would say they you keep your friends minimal and be careful of the ones who try to 'hang' out with you.

If you want more you can pm me and I can tell you some stories.

Sweet C

Me, I look for the First Lady to be a woman of God who can set an example for the women of their church body and others outside (being another church or unsaved) of how to live holy and righteous before God. I would only expect her to be obedient to God's Word (Logos and Rhema). All those other expectations(i.e. run the children's ministry, lead Praise and Worship Team, etc.) that people try to put on the first lady and even the pastor are MAN-INSPIRED.

So I encourage you, if that is what God is calling you to, go ahead and walk in it. Remember the word requires the preacher to give their attention to prayer and ministering the Word (Ac 6:4), and to properly shepard the flock according to 1 Peter and John 10. As long as you are doing these things and whatever else God gives you to do, then you are in right standing with the most important person, Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

live2bgr8

bludacious said:
I have learn not to expect anything of anyone because we are all human. I have two things that I think 1st ladies should possess...

1. woman of God
2. Stand by her husband

I agree... Your first priority is to love God and reflect His light.... Secondly stand and support your husband... Then your kids (if you have any)...

Everyone who's in their right spiritual mind in the congregation won't be putting too much pressure on you to "perform". They'll be concerned with God's mission/message for their own lives... :)