What do you think my hair needs right now?

ShiShiPooPoo

I know a picture would work wonders right now but I am at work and will do my best to describe what's going on.

My hair is all over the place today. It is very poufy and flyaway. It is very, very soft- almost too soft kinda like it has very little structure to it if that makes any sense. I used Aveda DR last night and did an Aphogee trtmt. about a week ago because I had breakage. That really seemed to help but now my hair is soooo soft. Could protein make it too soft? I always follow with a good moisturizing conditioner. I carusoe'd this morning and my hair didn't hold the curl at all. It almost looks like a loose afro it's so wild- you know like a clown or something. When I did the protein trtmt. I hadn't done one in a loooonnnnggggg time. I don't normally pay attention to protein but I did because I was breaking. What should I do at this point? Moisturize? Protein again? Please give your rec. as well as the product that you feel would deliver a good result. Thanks so much ladies

Moroni

Shishi, I don't know a whole heck of a lot, but ....when was the last time you clarified? The Nexxus Aloe Rid did wonders for me when my hair was acting crazy. I remember reading that when your hair doesn't respond the way it should, it could be product build-up on it. HTH

gymfreak336

Shishi, I don't know a whole heck of a lot, but ....when was the last time you clarified? The Nexxus Aloe Rid did wonders for me when my hair was acting crazy. I remember reading that when your hair doesn't respond the way it should, it could be product build-up on it. HTH

Yep, product build up will make your hair act crazy. If its not product build up I think it could be too much moisture. When hair doesn't hold a curl it could be too much moisture. Try conditioning with something that is a nice mix of both. ORS replenishing is a mix of light protein and moisture, silk elements cholesterol is nice mix of both. You could also use a protein condition for just 5 minutes and follow with a moisturizing one for half the normal time you usually do.

seeminglysweet

I think you may need some porosity control. When hair won't hold a curl, or color, it's too porous. I personally wouldn't clarify if my hair was breaking, I'm sure others would but not me.

gymfreak336

Exactly,

I'm not a huge believer of clarifying on a continuous schedule. I clarify twice a year, maybe.

I think people should clarify based on what they have been using. I stopped having "set" clarifying dates. Many peoples so called moisturizing shampoo really is more like a clarifying shampoo anyway.

*Muffin*

Today my hair felt great...but oily. I think I went a little crazy with that EVOO. But it feels soft and looks shiny, so I'm happy with it. I just need to massage my scalp before I go to bed and probably spray some moisturizer on my ends, but that's it.

fluffylocks

That sounds like my hair, when you said poofy, flyaway and soft, you mean its really light and feathery right? Like fluffy?....have you been using a moisturizer or conditoner with glycerin?
You might want to try a weekly light protein. Sometimes protein treatments can help your hair retain moisture better, but i dont think the aphogee treament made it too soft to answer your question.
Using oil, like oil rinses and hot oil treatments helps to give my hair weight and for it not to be so light.

If her hair was porous wouldnt it be more on the dry and frizzy side since it couldnt hold any moisture in?

Last edited:

ShiShiPooPoo

That sounds like my hair, when you said poofy, flyaway and soft, you mean its really light and feathery right? Like fluffy?....have you been using a moisturizer or conditoner with glycerin?
You might want to try a weekly light protein. Sometimes protein treatments can help your hair retain moisture better, but i dont think the aphogee treament made it too soft to answer your question.
Using oil, like oil rinses and hot oil treatments helps to give my hair weight and for it not to be so light.

If her hair was porous wouldnt it be more on the dry and frizzy side since it couldnt hold any moisture in?

That describes it to a "T". It reminds me of one of those mulitcolored fluffy light things that you see at those specialty shops. You know, the ones that light up and you can fan your hand through it.
I know that you guys will think I'm crazy, but I did a DuoTex last night (see my siggy). It did help some. My hair definitely feels a lot stronger and structured. It is very shiny and smooth. Now I will dip it lightly with Castor Oil and pin curl.