What does it actually mean to pray?

SweetTea

What is the definition of prayer? Does it mean praising God, asking God for something or just communicating with Him? I pray/give thanks before I eat, but at night, I just silently reflect/tell God what is going on in my life. I used to write Him letters. How do you ladies pray?

LovingLady

I learned that praying is the way that we communicate with God. I pray first thing in the morning, before I go to sleep, and throughout the day. The formal prayers occur at the beginning and end of the day.

Prudent1

Pretty much a combination of all of what is listed above by both of you. I try to make sure all of my prayers are scriptural though. Prayer is so ingrained in my being at this point in time and yet I still have room for improvement in this area.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
It's more than just asking for the desires of my heart..I have learned to acknowledge Him in everything I do (Prov 3:6) One of the ways I acknowledge Him is to actually SPEAK to Him. That is prayer. I believe it's important to speak things into the atmosphere, so our words penetrate the spiritual realm, where they have power. I thank Him when I wake up (prayer). I ask Him to bless my food (prayer). I tell Him good night (prayer). When I read the Bible (prayer)

Ever hear of someone being an accident and simply yelling out Jesus' name and being saved from death? Even that, is prayer...

HTH!

chiconya

Prayer to me is communicating with my creator.

I pray according to Jesus instruction found at Mattew 6:5-10.

I thank him and ask for his name Jehovah,YHWH (Psalms 83:18 KJV "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.) to be sanctified, his Kingdom and his will to take place in heaven and on earth, holy spirit, forgiveness of sins, and pray for those persecuting me. That I may forgive them, besides all this I talk to him, tell him how I feel, really pour out my heart. Ask for the strength to carry on my ministry and praise him. And may make other petitions or ask for specific help.

I always end every prayer somehow respecting Jesus name. Amen

Mattew 6:5-10
5 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.

6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.

8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9 "This, then, is how you should pray:
" 'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.[a]'

14 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I found this in this little book called How To Develop A Powerful Prayer Life by Gregory Frizzell:

A Simple Pattern for Powerful Prayer

I. Begin with a period of praise and thanksgiving (5-10 minutes)

a. Give thanks for past, present, and future blessings.
b. Praise God for who He is (His characteristics and names).
c. Freely worship and adore Him.

II. Continue with confession and repentance (5-10 minutes)
a. Ask God to search your thoughts and attitudes.
b. Carefully examine your speech.
c. Ask God to thoroughly search your relationships.
d. Confess any sins of commission (sins we did that we should not have done) and be sure to forsake the sins God reveals.
e. Confess any sins of omission (sins of not doing what we should have done, James 4:17) and make a definite commitment to obedience.
f. Resolve to fully repent of any known sin of thought, word or deed.
g. Ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit.
h. Be sure to utilize a thorough biblical tool designed to search all ideas of your life with God’s Word.

III. Prayers of Personal Petition (10-15 minutes)
a. Pray for the development of character and holiness. Pray through the specific fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) or other character words.
b. Pray for your ministry and service to God. Be very specific in your prayers.
c. Pray for physical, emotional, spiritual, and financial needs.

IV. Prayers of Intercession (10-20 minutes)
a. Pray for needs of family and friends.
b. Pray for your pastor, spiritual leaders, and church.
c. Pray for specific lost and backslidden people.
d. Pray for missionaries and mission efforts.
e. Pray for revival and spiritual awakening.

V. Meditation and Assessment
a. Reflect on key points of your Scripture reading and prayer time.
b. Assess what God has impressed to your heart.
c. Write down key impressions in a daily journal.
d. End your time with thanksgiving for God’s presence.