What is a Dominican blowout?

AnnDriena_

I've been hearing about it and seen some pics of lovely hair with dominican Blowout. Do they use a Special technique? Can someone give me the 411. Thanks ladies.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Welcome AnnDriena!

Since I got mine done recently the details are still fresh in my head. Any stylist can do this, it's just that it is very popular with the Domicans.

First they wash your hair and apply leave in conditioner. You hair is set on large rollers or rollers needed for your length. You sit under a hooded dryer until dry. They take the rollers out and proceed to blowing out your hair to a very straight silky finish.

They do this by using some sort of blow drying brush and a very hot blowdryer. The grab the hair with the brush and blowdry up and down the hair shaft usuing tension. The heat is incredible but so are the results.

HTH

kitchen_tician

hi again dontspeakdefeat, i was wondering if you knew what type of leave in conditioner they put on the hair and do they curl or flat iron it after they blow it out. also, who do you know in our area (atlanta) that does it? thanks.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
hi again dontspeakdefeat, i was wondering if you knew what type of leave in conditioner they put on the hair and do they curl or flat iron it after they blow it out. also, who do you know in our area (atlanta) that does it? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
They use Salerm 21 as far as I know. They usually don't curl or flatiron you hair with any appliances. They mainly use the blowdryer to achieve this.

The one i went to is called Lilly's Hair Plus on Jimmy Carter BLVD.

sunnydey

Hi kitchen tician!
I am also located in the Atlanta metro area. I also have visited Lilly's Hair Plus Beauty Salon. The Dominican blowout is awesome!!!
I went on the Saturday before Mother's Day. This was my first time going to a Dominican hair salon and first time trying the blowout. The stylist that did my hair is named Nena. If you would like to try her whenever you decide to go just ask for her at the check-in desk. Lilly the owner was at the check-in desk and I made sure I asked for Nena. Another member of this board named Mocha1111 referred me to Nena.

Hi.....I'm another one who just recently went to Lilly's.

The stylist I had (Luchy) also used the Salerm before setting my hair. However, she spritzed each section of my hair with something in a small bottle (maybe a gloss/serum type product) before blowing it out. Another lady told me that sometimes they'll use Hot 6 Oil before blowing the hair out.

I think next time I go I'll also try Nena. Luchy was a bit too heavy handed for my taste.

Let us know your experience if you decide to go!

AnnDriena_

Is it better for them to use the brush and then use the dryer up and down the hair shaft than just using a comb attachment, I know it can get it straighter because of the tension but is it healthier for hair than regular blowdrying.

webby

Think Slim
[ QUOTE ]
AnnDriena_ said:
Is it better for them to use the brush and then use the dryer up and down the hair shaft than just using a comb attachment, I know it can get it straighter because of the tension but is it healthier for hair than regular blowdrying.

[/ QUOTE ]

The comb attachment will not give the sleek look that most desire. A round, boars-hair bristle brush gives the best results. I think that it's best to blow only the roots, as not to put too much tension, strain on the hair. This is particularly important for longer hair. This also helps to maintain the ends of the hair, by not applying too much heat to them.

If the hair is properly wrapped, you should have a great amount of body and sheen.

ETA: the temp of the heat is going to be the same regardless to whether or not you use a brush or a comb. So, you may as well use a brush to acheive the desired straightness. Otherwise, you may end up passing the dryer over the hair more times by using the comb.