Dominican blowout or relax?

blackberry815

Would u use a Dominican blowout to stretch relaxers? I got one this weekend and it looks and feels like a fresh perm... Should I keep this up to stretch or should I just relax? I get breakage and shedding usually when its time to relax and my breakage and shedding stopped after the blowout... Now there's no hair in the comb... The only downside is its sooooo much heat. Which makes me feel like it will do damage if i keep it up. What do u think? Relax or Dominican blowout?

Sent from my ADR6400L

Lovelylocs

I wouldn't because when I have a lot of new growth my hair gets really tangled and the fine tooth comb would rip my hair out.

lilsparkle825

As long as you felt like it wasn't too much heat or detangling....I'd go with the DBs. Just ensure that you've got a great heat protectant and you're staying on top of DCing since you're relaxed. I actually transitioned with them for about 6-7 months....so maybe I'm biased. LOL

pbuckley

I have been transitioning with DB for over a year now. I have not seen any damage to my hair. I bring in my own products, get a deep conditioner every time, wrap my hair and use no heat in between the blow outs. I probably have 6 more months to go before I chop off the rest of my perm ends and my hair is currently neck length as I have been chopping off perm as I go. Good Luck w/ whatever you choose.

blackberry815

I have been transitioning with DB for over a year now. I have not seen any damage to my hair. I bring in my own products, get a deep conditioner every time, wrap my hair and use no heat in between the blow outs. I probably have 6 more months to go before I chop off the rest of my perm ends and my hair is currently neck length as I have been chopping off perm as I go. Good Luck w/ whatever you choose.

Do u think its too much to do it weekly? How often did u blow it out?

Sent from my ADR6400L

blackberry815

The other thing is that she used a finetooth comb to blowout my roots instead or the usual roundbrush....that was unusual cuz I'm used to them using the brush for this.... I'm not sure which one is more damaging between the two.

Also I should add that I have very fine strands..

Sent from my ADR6400L

kupenda

I love going to the Dominicans but I went every two wks. Always got their prepoo. And left my scalp alone the first week after. I would not go every week personally. But it's def great for stretching relaxers. I did it from October til April with no issues. But blowouts don't work for me with this heat and sweating. So I'm gonna relax and go back to strictly blowouts in September

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Luscious850

If it were me, I would relax because:

1. I prefer the ease of having my hair straight and not having to worry about reversion

2. I don't have the $$ to dish out weekly or biweekly to go to the salon

3. I work out often and its extremely hot where I live so I would end up sweating out the blow out

4. I think its unnecessary amounts of heat and manipulation being placed onto the hair

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE DB but to use it for the sole purpose of stretching out a relaxer... for there would be more cons than pros.

How long are you trying to use it to stretch?

Solitude

I stretched my last relaxer out for an additional 2 weeks with a Dominican blowout. If I ever transition, it will probably be with the help of rollersets.

They smooth the hair into one texture and the straightness makes moisturizing and maintenance easier once I hit the 12 week+ mark. If heat causes breakage for you, then it would kind of defeat the purpose, though.

naturallygoldie

roller sets and blowouts (via the dominicans)/ rollersets and flatironing (via moi) helped me fully transition...if ur not having any ill effects of the direct heat...keep stretching (see how long u can). What helps me keep my hair straight is coconut oil and a blend of coconut oil/olive oil on my roots. I have fine strands too.

btw the comb just helps them get a firmer grip on the hair