~**What is a Press-n-Curl?**~

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Okay, I don't want to sound simple, but I truly don't know...what does this "Press-n-Curl" consist of? I'm in the South, so I'm wondering is this just a vernacular phrase, or what? Or is this a technique - different from "Pressing"? I didn't want to sound basic and ask the lady who mentioned it....please help a sista out! TIA, TIA!

okay, i gotta get specific....
curling with what? A marcel iron, magnetics, what? Big, full curls all over the head? Or just bumping the ends? Will this look more like a relaxer and less like a press (i.e. bone straight hair)? Do you rollerset the hair and then press it? What? What? :spinning:

I'm just wondering is there something different to this, because when I asked the stylist about it, she was like, "Oh, you don't want a press-n-curl?" And I'm thinking, what the heck is that? What's different? I merely explained that I would wash, detangle and dry my hair at home and she could do the finishing touches by pressing it (I don't trust just anyone washing and detangling my transitioning hair) and she responded with the aforementioned phrase...that threw me...(mind you, I haven't gotten my hair pressed since I was 7 :ohwell: - so don't mock me, people) *grin*.

okay, i gotta get specific....
curling with what? A marcel iron, magnetics, what? Big, full curls all over the head? Or just bumping the ends? Will this look more like a relaxer and less like a press (i.e. bone straight hair)? Do you rollerset the hair and then press it? What? What? :spinning:

I'm just wondering is there something different to this, because when I asked the stylist about it, she was like, "Oh, you don't want a press-n-curl?" And I'm thinking, what the heck is that? What's different? I merely explained that I would wash, detangle and dry my hair at home and she could do the finishing touches by pressing it (I don't trust just anyone washing and detangling my transitioning hair) and she responded with the aforementioned phrase...that threw me...(mind you, I haven't gotten my hair pressed since I was 7 :ohwell: - so don't mock me, people) *grin*.

Umm...yeah, its just a typical press (via flat iron, marcels, or an actual pressing comb, but I know of few beauticians who still use them and they're all 50+) . Sometimes the ends are bump or the stylist will create "candy curls" using a curling iron :yep: Where are you from btw?

Press N Curls are known in the South and everywhere else LOL!! Once they press your hair, they curl it with a Marcel Curling Iron. Or she could have just Pressed it straight and bumped the ends.
Don't worry no one is gonna mock you LOL!!

Last edited:
Thanks kblc06 and SignatureBeauty for responding to my very very basic question...

Umm...yeah, its just a typical press (via flat iron, marcels, or an actual pressing comb, but I know of few beauticians who still use them and they're all 50+) . Sometimes the ends are bump or the stylist will create "candy curls" using a curling iron :yep: Where are you from btw?
Born and raised in Houston...roots in Creole Countray!

Press N Curls are known in the South and everywhere else LOL!! Um. Sorry. kinda embarassed, here....Once they press your hair, they curl it with a Marcel Curling Iron. Or she could have just Pressed it straight and bumped the ends.

Well, I got my hair pressed and I know of others who did too, and no one ever, never put curls in our hair! It was always just straight and flat and greasee...later, we'd all use a million of those pink sponge rollers to get some curlzzzz. Maybe it was because we were younger, but I just don't recall that.

I get my hair flat ironed and I was wondering if it would be a really different effect. Right now, my hair is just totally bone straight, no curl, no nada. So I was hoping/wondering if my hair would be full with more body, or if she'd put a weak lil' flip on the end of some stick-straight hair... I hate that look :perplexed.

Okay, I don't want to sound simple, but I truly don't know...what does this "Press-n-Curl" consist of? I'm in the South, so I'm wondering is this just a vernacular phrase, or what? Or is this a technique - different from "Pressing"? I didn't want to sound basic and ask the lady who mentioned it....please help a sista out! TIA, TIA!

Where I live it's just a technique were the hair is pressed with a pressing comb than curled with a marcel curling iron. Many of the younger stylists considered it "old school" and prefer to flat iron.

i used to get a press and curl every two weeks. i still get it once every two - three months. she presses with a pressing comb and then curl it in spiral curls with a curling iron. its really pretty. then i go home and pluck the curls out and wrap in like a roller wrap and then curls stay for two weeks if i dont wash it.

i wish i could find someone who could flat iron with full curls and not just bone straight and flat...hmm, i'm thinking out loud, here...the supa straight thing is getting old for me...anyone have referrals for stylists in Houston that don't charge a grip? I get my hair done weekly, I might add...those 40+ bucks could add up -quick-

niiice...that's what i'm looking for...or big bouncy curlz, maybe? you wouldn't happen to be in houston, would you? if you are, could you give me a referral? you could pm the info to me....

i used to get a press and curl every two weeks. i still get it once every two - three months. she presses with a pressing comb and then curl it in spiral curls with a curling iron. its really pretty. then i go home and pluck the curls out and wrap in like a roller wrap and then curls stay for two weeks if i dont wash it.

They call it a press because the back of the comb is pressed against the hair to get it straight.

Did I answer your question correctly or were you looking for a different kind of answer?

Where I live it's just a technique were the hair is pressed with a pressing comb than curled with a marcel curling iron. Many of the younger stylists considered it "old school" and prefer to flat iron.

That's how I use it, too. Only to refer to a pressing comb press. That's the only way I've ever had my hair straightened.

uhm, you press the hair and then you curl it....

well duh!!! but that really doesn't explain what it is :lol:
OP, you don't sound simple at all. i didn't know what a press and curl was either, until i came to this site. and can y'all blame me? every black woman i knew had a relaxer... to be honest, i had no idea there were natural folk out there who straightened on a regular basis. i didn't even know anyone who WAS natural.

one of the many reasons i love LHCF; you learn SOOOO much!!!

Pics of a press and curl.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tayarijones/sets/72057594101743240/
from: http://www.tayarijones.com/blog/archives/2006/04/press_and_curl.html
125091202_44b62ff201.jpg

Child:
DSC04117.230162609_std.jpg

Press n Curl is a technique used a long time ago to straighten (press) natural hair, and then curl (style) the hair with grease and marcel curling irons. As a child, I remember how the ability of the stylist was determined by how loud and fast she could make those irons clack when curling the hair!! :drunk: Most of the time, the curls would be small, tight, and to the scalp. I remember the stylist would section your hair off into no less than 50 small curls placed all over your head. Even after combing, the curls would hug your head so tight, the only way to get them to drop or comb into a stlyle would be to sweat them out. :lachen:This was the way to go, before perms became popular. I use to love them, tho! Back then, we didn't know what a flat-iron, or bumping was, cause it didn't exist!!:blush:

Press n Curl is a technique used a long time ago to straighten (press) natural hair, and then curl (style) the hair with grease and marcel curling irons. As a child, I remember how the ability of the stylist was determined by how loud and fast she could make those irons clack when curling the hair!!

Had forgotten about that sound. There was kind of a trick to how they turned the iron. The aroma of the hot hair and grease will always be with me, though. You're really taking me back.

:ohwell:I'm from Houston too and I didn't know what it was. I think I read a thread about a press and curl messing up someone's hair and so I thought it had something to do with chemicals.

no sweety im not in houston but you could search the net for a salon. every salon knows how to do a press and curl. now whether thw curls last oor not is the question.

well duh!!! but that really doesn't explain what it is :lol: Smack! *big kiss thrown at Poookie* Thanks for that girl...*smile*
OP, you don't sound simple at all. i didn't know what a press and curl was either, until i came to this site. and can y'all blame me? every black woman i knew had a relaxer... to be honest, i had no idea there were natural folk out there who straightened on a regular basis. i didn't even know anyone who WAS natural. Exactly. I thought my question was valid, but then....ugh

one of the many reasons i love LHCF; you learn SOOOO much!!!
exactly. I'm in it for the long haul

Pics of a press and curl. Girl this is awesome, no way did i expect a press-n-curl to look this beautiful. Thanks a million! I am so inspired! Your baby girl is flossin' and tossin' them curls...gorgeous.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tayarijones/sets/72057594101743240/
from: http://www.tayarijones.com/blog/archives/2006/04/press_and_curl.html
125091202_44b62ff201.jpg

Child:
DSC04117.230162609_std.jpg

:ohwell:I'm from Houston too and I didn't know what it was. I think I read a thread about a press and curl messing up someone's hair and so I thought it had something to do with chemicals.
okay, so it's not just me...I'm telling you, I was thrown...and I thought I knew a lil' bit about hair...just a lil'.

I appreciate all of you and your responses, thanks and keep 'em coming...especially these cool pix!

They call it a press because the back of the comb is pressed against the hair to get it straight.

Did I answer your question correctly or were you looking for a different kind of answer?
No, this is good, but i was also curious about the application of curls to the hair while pressing and how it's done, what it looks like...

That's how I use it, too. Only to refer to a pressing comb press. That's the only way I've ever had my hair straightened.
so you never apply curls with an iron, or anything? My hair is always stick straight and I was wondering what other options there are with pressed hair...or with flat ironed hair, other than stick straight, like mine, which i'm not feeling right now...:ohwell::perplexed:nono:

Had forgotten about that sound. There was kind of a trick to how they turned the iron. The aroma of the hot hair and grease will always be with me, though. You're really taking me back.

There was something mesmirizing about that sound, when they turned the irons. I always wanted to be able to do that with my curling irons, did you, DarkVictory?

When I lived in cali, most women were natural, and did a press, flat iron and bump with the stove and marcel irons. Very little product is used to prep the hair and your hair had that swang! Since I've moved to NC, no one really know what I am talking about everyone does roller sets (which I thought was really old school). My stylist now flat irons my hair with a FHI, she refused to use the marcel flat iron on me! I have a stove and flat iron and pressing comb, but I am currently out of practice and now fear it! But I do miss that swang! The last time I had my hair done cali style was for my wedding by Ms Rubye in Las Vegas! She is from LA!

In Houston, and many places in the South, many do use grease when they do "press and curls". In Cali, they don't use grease. Your hair is blow dried then pressed with NO OILS. If your hair isn't holding a curl it could due to all of the grease.

In Houston, and many places in the South, many do use grease when they do "press and curls". In Cali, they don't use grease. Your hair is blow dried then pressed with NO OILS. If your hair isn't holding a curl it could due to all of the grease.

Yea when someone does use grease we call it a GREASE PRESS. Thats when the hair is heavy and hanging flat. And just greasy.

I was a relaxer and now I'm natural. But, all my friends get their hair pressed.

I'm looking for a person now who knows how to handle natural hair and uses a ceramic flat iron to straighten hair. I might not find the ceramic flat iron, but I definitely want to find someone who knows how ot handle natural hair.

Back