What is an Essential Oil

A

AmilLion

Essential Oils, or essences as they are also called, are highly concentrated substances extracted from various parts of aromatic plants and trees. They are usually captured by steam distillation, a process whose origins can be traced back to ancient Mesopotamia. Unlike ordinary vegetable oils, such as corn and olive, plant essences are highly volatile and will evaporate if left in the open air. The chemistry of essential oils is complex. Most consist of hundreds of components, such as terpenes, alcohols, aldehydes, and esters. For this reason a single oil can help a wide variety of disorders. Moreover, due to their tiny molecular structure, essential oils applied to the skin can be absorbed into the bloodstream. They also reach the blood as a result of the aromatic molecules being inhaled. In the lungs, they pass through the tiny air sacs to the surrounding blood capillaries by the process of diffusion. Once in the bloodstream the aromatic molecules interact with the body's chemistry.

Penetration
The penetrating characteristic of essential oils greatly enhances their ability to be effective. Essential oils will penetrate into the body when applied to the skin. Essential oil placed on the foot will be distributed to every cell in the body in 21 minutes. They will even penetrate a finger or toe nail to treat fungus underneath.

Different Types of Oils Used for Hair
[*]Essential Oil - a non-oily and highly fragrant Essence which is extracted from a plant by distillation and fast evaporates.
[*]Base (Carrier) Oils - base, or Carrier Oils are vegetable, nut or seed Oils, which has to be used to dilute the Essential Oil (s). These Oils themselves have therapeutic Properties and presents a good source of Nutrients and Energy.

WITH HAIR, WE GENERALLY UTILIZE A CARRIER AND ESSENTIAL OIL. THE CARRIER OIL IS USED FOR DILUTION OF THE ESSENTIAL OIL BECAUSE OF IT'S CONCENTRATED PROPERTIES.

Where they are Found
Essential oils may be found in different parts of the plant: in the petals (rose), leaves (eucalyptus), roots of grass (vetiver), bark (cinnamon), heartwood (sandalwood), citrus rind (lemon), seeds (caraway), rhizomes (valerian), bulbs (garlic), the aerial or top parts of the plant (marjoram) or resin (frankincense), and sometimes in more than one part of the plant. Lavender, for instance, yields oil from both the flowers and the leaves, while the orange tree produces three different smelling essences with varying medicinal properties; the heady bitter-sweet neroli (flowers), the similar though less refined scent of petitgrain (leaves) and the cheery orange (rind of the fruit).

Although sometimes denigrated as 'waste products' of plant metabolism, studies have shown that plants utilize essential oils for such purposes as attracting pollinating insects, repelling predators and protecting themselves from disease - quite a significant survival mechanism.

Essential oils accumulate in specialized plant tissues, harboring oil glands. The more oil glands present in the plant, the cheaper the oil, and vice versa. For instance, 100 kilos of lavender yields almost 3 litters of essential oil, whereas 100 kilos of rose petals can yield only a half a liter. Essential oils are highly concentrated substances and therefore rarely used neat, though certain essences, such as lavender and tea tree, are sometimes used undiluted as an antiseptic. For aromatherapy massage, however, they are diluted in a 'carrier' oil such as sweet almond or olive. As well as being soluble in ordinary vegetable oil, essential oils will dissolve in alcohol, egg yolk and waxes (melted beeswax or jojoba for example). However, they are only partially soluble in water - and a little more soluble in vinegar.

Different Essential Oils
I have far too many listed, but if you would like information regarding a specific oil, please reply or send me a note. If you don't know too much about essential oil, you could send me the problem you're attempting to attack and I could see which oil corresponds and send that information.

What you should know when Purchasing Essential Oils
What You Should Know About Essential Oils
Unfortunately, not all essential oils are created equal. Most of the essential oils on the market are what is called "perfume quality" or "fourth & fifth quality" oils. This includes oils found in health food stores.

To maintain all of the therapeutic qualities, it must be extracted by steam distillation using extremely low pressure & low heat so as not to defile the quality of the oil.

Many people think that when they buy an oil that is labeled as "pure" they are getting good oils. This is far from true.

There are 4 levels of therapeutic oils:
<ul type="square">[*]PURE - This means the oil was not diluted with a lesser quality essential oil. For example: lavender oil is often cut with lavendin, which has very little therapeutic quality. "Pure" does not mean it has no chemicals added to it. In the U.S., all you need is 5% of essential oil in the bottle in order to label it "100% pure."
[*]NATURAL- This means the oil was not adulterated with vegetable oils, propylene glycol, SD Alcohol 40 or other chemicals.
[*]COMPLETE - This means the oil was distilled at low heat &amp; low pressure so that all the therapeutic properties are there. They have not been rectified or purified (which means stripped or redistilled.) Essential oils are often redistilled to make a small amount of oil go farther. They can make more profit that way. The problem is, when you redistill the oil you lose the therapeutic properties. It's like using a tea bag over &amp; over again. An example: France is the number one producer of lavender oil. In 1997 they produced 25 tons of lavender and 67 tons were shipped to the U.S. alone. What is wrong with this picture?
[*]GENUINE or GRADE A - These are the cream of the crop. Great care is taken at every step of the process. Seeds- not from hybrids, soil- organic soil that never has chemicals put on it. Chemicals are never used on the plants in the field. Distillation by steam at low pressure &amp; low temperature in upright containers &amp; no chemicals are ever used in the process. Must have clarity of definition (one plant could have 200 species.) The time in the distiller is also important- cypress oil needs to be distilled for 24 hours. Many companies will distill at higher temperature for a shorter time. This will destroy the quality of the oil. The distiller must be no more than 50 miles away from the sight where the plants were harvested.

They must have Gas Chromatograph readings with an embossed seal that does not come from their own lab. Then &amp; only then can they have the words "Grade A" on the label.

Dilution of Essential Oils
  • Normal Dilution by 2.5%.
    You’ll need (x) ml carrier oil/2 = total drops of essential oil.
    Sample Blend - (Essential) 5 drops Sandalwood, 3 drops lavender, 2 drops orange in 20ml apricot kernel oil (Carrier)
  • Low Dilution by 1% (for sensitive skins)
    You’ll need (x) mil carrier oil/4 = total drops of essential oil
    Sample Blend - (Essential) 3 drops Sandalwood, 2 drops lavender in 20 ml apricot kernel oil (Carrier)
  • Extremely low Dilution by 0.5% (very sensitive skins)
    You’ll need 1 drop essential oil per 10ml of carrier oil.

CONVERSION
1ml = 20 drops of essential oil
5ml = 1 teaspoon
30ml = 1 fluid oz
600ml = 1 pint

THIS POST WILL FOLLOW WITH CARRIER OILS.

hairfanatic

Thanks AmilLion,

It's really nice when someone posts information like this...everyone doesn't know what some of this stuff is. I know when I joined the forum I was clueless. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlkMane

Great information! You know, Amilion, that I'm going to have to print that out and put it in my "Hair" binder! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had no idea that 100% pure wasn't the cream of the crop! I wonder how all the different essential oil brands compare? Does anyone have Grade A essential oils with the stamp/seal? What brand are they?

Jade21

Wherever you buy your essential oils, you should be sure to ask for the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) and even more, learn how to read one. If any merchant ever indicates that this is not available, move on.

And, as I have learned, organic essential oils, unlike some things, are not always the best!

~Jade~

A

AmilLion

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
BlkMane said:
Great information! You know, Amilion, that I'm going to have to print that out and put it in my "Hair" binder! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had no idea that 100% pure wasn't the cream of the crop! I wonder how all the different essential oil brands compare? Does anyone have Grade A essential oils with the stamp/seal? What brand are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

BlkMane all I can say is the USFDA is tricky....If your into oils and etc....really do your research. I read that even meats labeled organic aren't 100% Organic!!!!!