What is the point of prayer ...

ndidirod

... if the answer is sometimes "no"? I feel like when I pray, sometimes God answers yes and sometimes he answers no. Sometimes I wonder if God is even answering my prayers. I feel like if I don't pray, the outcome would be the same regardless. What keeps you motivated to pray?

TraciChanel

ndidirod,
That's very true. The answer is not always yes. But, I am motivated to pray because I seek God's direction in my life. I know that He will never lead me wrong. Never. Even if I can't see where he's taking me, even when He doesn't answer me the way I thought He should have or would have, I know that whatever the answer, it's for the best. Seriously, I cannot go wrong seeking God first in whatever I do.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
ndidirod,
That's very true. The answer is not always yes. But, I am motivated to pray because I seek God's direction in my life. I know that He will never lead me wrong. Never. Even if I can't see where he's taking me, even when He doesn't answer me the way I thought He should have or would have, I know that whatever the answer, it's for the best. Seriously, I cannot go wrong seeking God first in whatever I do.

Agreed. I do NOTHING w/o asking God first. Nothing.

Sent from a land where women rule.....

sidney

Hey lady, I would respond but I fear it might turn into a thread! But prayer is very vital, and it's how we fellowship with the father. There are so many scriptures in the bible that tell us to pray continually. So it must be vital if God warns us to. And I do think there are consequences for failing to pray. I think its always a good idea to take some time and study and read about prayer until you get more understanding. I have asked some of the same questions and blogged about them, there is one called "The cost of prayerlessness" but I am sure the ladies here will give you some good answers.

Iwanthealthyhair67

Look at God from a father perspective, a loving father does not give his child everyhting that he/she asks for or want, sometimes he says no, trusts that he always knows whats best for us and sometimes what we want will hurt us, he's trying to protect us ...

what keeps me motivated to pray is knowing that prayers is 'communicating' with God

joy2day

ndidirod I like to think of prayer like this: even in those times when it is a "no" there is always a "yes" from God when I pray for His perfect will for me. So yes, He does say no to some things that are of my design, but He always has a yes, when you seek Him.

I hope that makes sense.

LucieLoo12

Its always good to go into prayer without a agenda or a mindset already formed. We want God's will in our life, and that why we go into prayer for direction and for God to lead us. If God tells us no in prayer...rejoice, because that means God has something better...We may know what we want, but God knows what we need...

God bless..

BostonMaria

I used to pray and get frustrated when my prayers weren't answered. What I realized was that I wasn't praying correctly. I then realized I had to ask in the name of Jesus and it made a huge difference. I also realized I would pray in fear and not faith.

Sent from my fancy iPhone using LHCF

Sarophina

For me, I found it significant that Jesus always took the time to pray. The Son of God thought that prayer was a necessity. He would leave the disciples and rise early in the morning for prayer.
This was a great example for me. I don't start my day without praying to my Father.

hair_rehab

It's also important to not only talk to God when you pray, but spend time listening to Him as well. It might be during that time that He wants to reveal some things to you about what you are praying for. There are times when I prayed for someone who was sick to be healed and when I stopped to listen He showed me why they were ill in the first place (sometimes it was sin/disobedience). Go to God boldly when you're in need but also be prepared to boldly wait for Him to respond.

gn1g

Pray IS a conversation with GOD. a relationship. Talk to him about your day, your hopes and your dreams. Pray the scriptures because when you do that all of the answers are all ways YES and AMEN. So when you are in constant communication with the CREATOR OF ALL you will be in alignment with his will for your life. otherwise you are maligned and the enemy can have his way with you.

SummerSolstice

I feel you and I understand what you are saying. I believe that prayer just keeps me in connection with Christ... that is really it. I don't really expect much from Him anymore, and I just thank Him for keeping me safe through my stupidity. Thats all I have.

LilMissSunshine5

Thanks for the post ndidirod! Great feedback so far ladies! I've definitely struggled (& still sometimes struggle) with having a fruitful prayer life. I grew up as a PK and prayer was always very formal in my household...so I thought that how all prayer should be. But it doesn't have to be a big production or some eloquent speech to God with just the right words to be heard by Him. It is simply a conversation. When I reframed how I thought about prayer, I wasn't as fearful of it. For me, it is means honest communication with God. I don't have to be on my knees (sometimes I am), it doesn't have to be said out loud, and it doesn't have to be for extended periods of time. In the past, those were excuses I used to use not to pray. Now I may be in my car driving for ten minutes and have a silent convo with God...I can be working out, it doesn't matter where I am. I just need to be connected to Him constantly. I didn't really get that concept until I several years ago even though I was born and raised in the church :nono: I guess I got it when I was ready :giggle:

When I was going through tough times, my spiritual mentors advised me to always keep talking to God, no matter what. I thought it was disrespectful to talk to God in a casual way or even feel angry with Him, but they told me to honestly express my feelings to Him (He knows what I am thinking anyway :lachen:) and always keep talking to Him no matter the circumstance. And it has helped me grow tremendously in my spiritual walk! When I am disappointed and upset, I tell Him about it...if I feel like He isn't giving me what I need (a job, dependable friends, a husband :look:), I express that and ask Him to change my outlook, give me a right attitude (centered in gratitude) and please help me to fully submit to His will. It is a constant battle because sometimes I still want control over my own life, but praying for guidance helps in that arena :yep: I am striving to get to the place where I only desire God's will for my life and I simply trust He will take care of me, no questions asked. Not there yet, but I am much closer than I used to be :look: And I heard something that really touched my spirit years ago "God only has two answers for His children: Yes or I have something better in mind for you" :yep: In my experience, His "no" was really a yes to something much greater in my life, beyond what I could even think to ask for...when I think on that, it keeps everything in perspective :grin:

ETA: Sorry for the long post :lol: