What is the S-Curl Method?

honeycomb719

I'm fairly new here and have seen the s-curl method mentioned a few times. What is that?(Forgive my ignorance)What is the benefits from using it? I currently have braids in to help me get to my 12 week touch-up, I use curl moisturizer to add moisture to my braids.(This isn't the method is it)? I know I have a lot more to learn. Somebody school me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Relaxed 4a Thin Hair
Current Length: Different Ranges from 3-7inches Front shortest /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Goal: Even Healthy Shoulder Length

sweetcocoa

This is a regime that Adrienne uses with great success. I'll bump this to the top. I'm not sure but she has her regime posted here. Also check her homepage by clicking on her name.

She has her routine posted in this thread. Also you can try paging(opening a post to her)if you have more questions.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Women&Number=2653&Forum=Women&Words=s-curl&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=2405&Search=true#Post2653

adrienne0914

thanks for bumping, sweetcocoa! it's been so hard to get in here lately that i don't come here as regularly. i'm so frustrated... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

anyway, honeycomb, don't apologize for asking questions. it's why we're all here! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

the S-curl isn't really a method. it's just one of my favorite products to use. as sweetcocoa said, i've had great success with it in helping to retain more length.

i really advocate the use of any curl activator, not just that one. what curl activator does is keep my hair moisturized so that it's less prone to breakage. i particularly like using it with braids. which product (curl moisturizer) are you using? check the ingredient list on it. if glycerine is one of the first few ingredients, then you're in business. lol!

adrienne

adrienne0914

okay, i hope my response answered all of your questions. for those that would like to know here, i will repost it...

i've played around with both kinds of curl activator (gel and spray). the spray is easier to apply, but the gel gives a more substantial coating. so i just started using that. since curl activator sets my scalp on fire (itchies), i steer clear of it. what i normally do is just grab a scoop in my hands, rub my palms together then grab sections of braids and run the actvator down the length of the braids. i try to focus on the area where i think my own hair ends vs. down to where the braid ends. to be honest, who cares if the end of some fake hair is that moist. plus, as you may or may not know, curl activator can mess up some clothes if you use it too heavily. lol!

adrienne

Ennyaa

Just wanted to tell you Adrienne that I have been using your method with S-Curl spray for about 2 months now on my braids and I'm LOVIN it. I do it basically the same. Spray down to where I think my hair ends and then kinda massage it in with my hands. My ends are doing really well. Some nights I switch up and use a leave-in or hair oil instead of the S-Curl but for the most part I spray it every night. I can't tell you how grateful I've been for this tip. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

free2bme

The curl activator makes my hair so much more manageable closer to touch-up time. When I was texturized I used to use curl activator all the time. After I relaxed I forgot all about it. Thanks for the tip Adrienne!

honeycomb719

Thanx, Adrienne for your help on the topic. I did what you said and checked the ingredients on the bottle(Lustrasilk RightOn Instant Moisterizing Conditioner) and Glycerin is third in line after water,and Propylene glycol. I asked about the s-curl method originally because I'm trying the "hairladies" crowning glory tech, But I have afew more questions for you or anyone who can help. I had these braids(plaits) put in on Dec 21st and I was trying to hang in there for 2 months but I don't think it's going to happen /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm experiencing some tenderness on the edges of my hair. I had them put in so that the immediate edges are left out so that the braids won't pull it out, and the section that the braids are applied to are larger then the braids itself(hope you all are following this /images/graemlins/grin.gif) Do I need to take these briads out now? I have anywhere from a 1/2 inch to 1 inch of new growth thus far, but then again my hair was pretty kinky at the roots when they were put in /images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't want to remove them too soon, I want to be able to see some type of growth from my efforts. My hair type is 4a and I don't usually let my braids stay in for longer then 2 weeks, because the roots look so bad. Plus my past experiences w/ braids have not been favorable(alot of breakage etc...). But, then I was not washing weekly, or moisturizing. Once I remove these braids (planning on removing them on the 21st of this month, If you all don't suggest otherwise) can I continue to use the Lustarsilk as a daily moisturzer? Would any of you suggset this? Because I will still have 2 weeks to go before I can relax again. This would put me at 13weeks since my last relaxer, which was my first one in close to 4yrs. I know I'm going on&on but I want you all to understand my stituation as good as possible so that your suggestion are made w/ all the facts.

Thanx in advance for any and all response /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Relaxed 4a thin hair
Current length: Different lengths 3-7inches w/ the front and sides being the shortest
Goal: Even Healthy Shoulder Length Hair

Current Vitamin Regimen:
2 GNC UltraNourisher
2 GNC Women's Ultra Mega(as multi-vitamin)
2 Evening Primrose w/ Vit. E 500mg
1 CVS Brand MSM 1000mg (I think these are causing my migraine's)

honeycomb719

One more thing /images/graemlins/grin.gif Adrienne, what do the Mii next to your 4a hair type mean? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

keke

Well now i have both World of Curls get curl activator and S-Curl activator spray should i use both?

keke

lol. this is funny. i no im late but i just noticed that adrienne your hair pic is the 1 that is on the homepage of this site its just stretched out somemore to make it look real long. hehe

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I think the software that resizes the photos stretches them out. The photos next to my posts always look a little different than they do in my own photo album.

AZJeepgurl

Actually keke and Sassygirl, the pic you are looking at is from 1/2003 (check out Adrienne's picuretrail journal). The home page pic is from 2/9/2002.

How do I know this? Because she is my main hair idol

But yes, the pics do get stretched out. Probably if you saved a pic with the same dimensions that the forum uses, the quality would be more "true to life".

HTH,
AZ

adrienne0914

dang, i don't know how i missed this post way back when. sowwy, honeycomb!
i feel really bad because you were having problems with the braids on your hairline. how did things work out? and what did you end up doing? the Mii next to my hair type is based on another typing system that someone had posted. i can't remember what the site was. i can't remember what it all means. i wish someone would post the site again...

keke, i think sassygirl is right. that pic turned out that way when the owners added it to the homepage. like azjeepgurl said, that pic is from early last year, many inches ago.

adrienne