WHAT IS THIS IN MY HAIR? Their tiny balls everywhere causing breakage!!HELP

genesis132

Okay. When I look at my hair there are these little balls of lint or something that are all in my hair. Mind you, someone standing next to me will not notice, but I do. Here are my stats--

* I sleep on a satin pillowcase err-night religiously...so the lint can't be coming from that.

*I dont use a lot of products...I was alternating between BT, and MN mix of MTG and MN. But have slacked off. Could it be coming from the them??

Where the heck are these tiny, irratating lint balls coming from. They cause me pull them out which results in hair loss. Ususally, other strands of hair get caught in them and I end up pull them out as well.

I am truly surprise after detangling w/ a Denman, that I have any hair left. It seems like I'm losing a palm size ball of hair everytime I touch my hair..(ok..ok, every time I wet my hair)

Oh yeah, I've been natural for about 5 years now. I never had this problem before. I don't like using shampoo on my hair but when I used it, the balls were still there...IT"S DRIVING ME CRAZY...it's got me thinking about texlaxing..

Any ideas??
Have you experience this before?

It could be a few things. Either there is too much protein in your hair, product build up, or damage. When hair forms small balls that don't come off with washing, that usually means that the cuticle has split.

You may not be able to mend them, but you can try some moisture locking treatments to see if that will help, if not then you should go and see a trichologist rather than a hair stylist, because a hair stylist may just want to cut it off. A trichologist can study what is going on and possibly suggest a treatment or regimen to remedy it, but they will be able to tell if in fact the situation can be remedied at all!

HTH and keep us updated! :)

It could be a few things. Either there is too much protein in your hair, product build up, or damage. When hair forms small balls that don't come off with washing, that usually means that the cuticle has split.

You may not be able to mend them, but you can try some moisture locking treatments to see if that will help, if not then you should go and see a trichologist rather than a hair stylist, because a hair stylist may just want to cut it off. A trichologist can study what is going on and possibly suggest a treatment or regimen to remedy it, but they will be able to tell if in fact the situation can be remedied at all!

I wonder if this could be what I experienced last night when trying to detangle my hair........:ohwell:

Thanks for the information. You mentioned a few things I haven't thought about. Just to clarify though, my hair is not forming balls. Or, the ball is not made up of my hair. The ball is lint. Weird. I'm thinking either I need to start back washing my hair with Shampoo (CON) or begin clarifying once a week with ACV or baking sode, to see if it gets better. Although, I've always had color in my hair (AVEDA) before this started happening, i don't contribute the color is causing this. I've slacked off MN and BT to see if they disappear.

Thanks for posting this. i never heard of it before, and i am sorry this is happening to you. i currently get small tangles that form knots on the ends of my hair and that is a little frustrating but it doesnt sound like what is happening to you.

what i usually do is when i feel a knot i single the strand out and just clip that one. saves me trimming my entire head.

if you did see the Tric doc i would like to know more about this, if you don't mind.

You need to shampoo your hair, I think.

Are you sure these are balls of lint? Could they be lice nits? Is your head itching a lot?

Back