What Made Your Hair Thrive or Take Off?

koolkittychick

Products: Sticking to my Paul Mitchell products. Anytime I tried something new, my hair reacted badly, though not to the point of causing a major setback.

Consistency: Washing weekly, and stretching for 3 months or longer between relaxer touch ups. And no heat except during salon visits for touch ups.

Technique: Learning to style my hair between shampoos primarily through finger detangling. Excepting the fact that I didn't have to be able to run a comb completely through my hair from root to end for it to be detangled and styleable did a LOT for my retention.

All of these things combined helped in me retaining about 5 of the 6 inches I grew last year, going from just APL, where I stagnated for about 2 years, to just MBL. Knowing what I know now, I will be WL by the end of this year, if I stick to the plan. :yep:

SweetlyCurly

Product: JBCO, whey protein shakes, switching from oils to butters

Consistency: have to wash twice a week or once at the least. My scalp does not do well if I don't wash often. LOC method.

Technique: covering hair at night with Loc soc. finding a good balance between moisture and protein.

AgeinATL

1. Keeping it simple.

2. Learning my porosity, strand size and density

3. Banding

4. ACV

5. Limiting my cone usage. (I'm Low to no Cone)

6. Layering my products (liquid, creams, oil, butters....in that order lol)

This ^^

Discovering that I had Low Porosity hair changed the game for me because I was able to learn how to keep it moisturized which increased my retention.

Keeping my scalp clean. I have an oily scalp, so to prevent buildup, I wash my hair twice a week. Keeping my scalp clean has really helped my growth rate.

Using all-natural deep conditioners, leave-ins and moisturizers have helped keep my hair manageable, soft and moisturized. I follow a modified curly-girl method.

Minimizing heat usage. I rarely have split ends or need trims because I keep heat usuage to a minimum.

Leave my hair alone between wash days. Too much manipulation means breakage for my transitioning hair. The products that I use leave my hair moisturized for about 3 days and after that, it is time for another wash anyway.

Products:
Camille Rose JAI Twist Butter
Jessicurl Too Shea
Curl Junkie Beauticurls Leave-in
Shea Moisture Purification Mask