• I pray often/everyday

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I believe it in my heart

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 20 32.3%

• Total voters

Sweetyb

Do any of these define what makes you a Christian?
More than one? All, or none at all?

I was baptized at a somewhat young age, but I was not "taught" how to be a Christian. I was told to pray for my sins to be forgiven, but never read a word of the Bible. It wasn't until years later that I would pick up the Bible and begin to read and slowly come to understand some of God's words. Does this mean that because it wasn't my will to be baptized, and that I still did not know His word afterwards, does this mean that I have not been a Christian? Does it also mean that my baptism wasn't real?

What do you feel makes you a Christian? What makes you not a Christian in your opinion?

mrselle

I was never baptized as a child, but I chose for myself to be baptized when I was an adult. I go to church every Sunday and I attend bible study occasionally. I have a relationship with God, I pray often and I believe in my heart, but I think what really makes me a Christian is that I try my best to live my life the way Christ would have me to live my life. I try to make sure that I am living what I believe.

I think all the things you listed are aspects to being a Christian, but I don’t think doing one, two, three or all of these things necessarily makes anyone a Christian.

MomofThreeBoys

Yes, your baptism was real. Just because the "light" of the importance of reading His word was not revealed to you at that time does not mean your experience and love for HIm was not genuine at baptism. Now that you know, you are responsible for this "light". You are only responsible for the "light" God has shown you through the Holy Spirit talking to you or his human messangers.

The only thing that makes you a Christian is accepting Jesus Christ as your saviour.

When you accept, you are claiming you love Him and because you love Him you do the following...

get baptized
pray
attend church
obey His commands
read His word
Love your neighbor
etc.

These things are only the result of truly accepting Christ and loving Him.

sithembile

natalied said:
Yes, your baptism was real. Just because the "light" of the importance of reading His word was not revealed to you at that time does not mean your experience and love for HIm was not genuine at baptism. Now that you know, you are responsible for this "light". You are only responsible for the "light" God has shown you through the Holy Spirit talking to you or his human messangers.

The only thing that makes you a Christian is accepting Jesus Christ as your saviour.

When you accept, you are claiming you love Him and because you love Him you do the following...

get baptized
pray
attend church
obey His commands
read His word
Love your neighbor
etc.

ITA, very well explained!

star

Once you become saved or born again you are a Christian. This means you have admited you were a sinner and need a savior, believed Jesus Christ died on the cross for you sins and confess Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior of you life. After you do this publically in Church, at home, etc. then a symbolic representation to the world is shown through baptism the washing away of old sins and becoming clean spiritually. Read Romans 10:8,9,10 which gives the plan of salvation. Remember ABC's -admit, believe and confess everything else follows to strenghten your relationship with God and helps you to grow. :)

Sweetyb

natalied said:

get baptized
pray
attend church
obey His commands
read His word
Love your neighbor
etc.

I believe that too, about accepting Jesus Christ as your savior.
But what if you don't know what that means but you're saying it anyway?
Or, for babies, or young kids who's parents had them baptized... they're only doing it because their parents want that for them. Does that still make them a Christian? Or do they have to learn, grow, and read the word for themselves before they can be a true Christian?
Are people who go to church for spiritual fulfillment and know Jesus is their Lord, but have never picked up a Bible, also Christians?

(Not picking on you :), just really interested to see what others Christians feel makes you, or doesn't make you, a Christian. So thanks for your response)

Sweetyb

star said:
Once you become saved or born again you are a Christian. This means you have admited you were a sinner and need a savior, believed Jesus Christ died on the cross for you sins and confess Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior of you life. After you do this publically in Church, at home, etc. then a symbolic representation to the world is shown through baptism the washing away of old sins and becoming clean spiritually. Read Romans 10:8,9,10 which gives the plan of salvation. Remember ABC's -admit, believe and confess everything else follows to strenghten your relationship with God and helps you to grow. :)

Great scripture. I've never read it before, so thanks for sharing it. Is salvation the same as baptism?

Do you believe that if a person has already been baptized, yet they falter (or their relationship with God lessens later on in life), that they need to repent, get baptized again, and send their sins into remission?
If so, what if being baptized again that the person falters again... does this mean that the person still has not been a Christian?

Sweetyb

I've noticed that every church has their own way of teaching the Bible to their congregation, and that many do not share the same beliefs. Often, I hear that "you're not Christian if..." or just plain "you're not Christian". I personally am tired of hearing this because I don't think anyone is more worthy than the other, and that no one person's translation of the Bible is better than anothers. I think anything otherwise would be judging.

I have been told by one group of Christians that I am not a Christian if I got baptized as a child because I had not sinned and because I did not choose to get baptised--my parents chose that for me.

They also said that my baptism wasn't "real" because according to Acts 2, I have to feel a "cut to the heart", then be baptized for the remission of my sins, and then I shal receive the Holy Spirit. They said that if it didn't happen like that, then I'm not a real Christian. This definitely made me quite upset that even devoted diciples of God could attempt to tell me who I am and what I'm not without knowing me.

Do you ladies agree or disagree with this? Is there any real "specific" way you become a Christian?

Thanks for all of your responses :).

phynestone

Sweetyb said:
I've noticed that every church has their own way of teaching the Bible to their congregation, and that many do not share the same beliefs. Often, I hear that "you're not Christian if..." or just plain "you're not Christian". I personally am tired of hearing this because I don't think anyone is more worthy than the other, and that no one person's translation of the Bible is better than anothers. I think anything otherwise would be judging.

I have been told by one group of Christians that I am not a Christian if I got baptized as a child because I had not sinned and because I did not choose to get baptised--my parents chose that for me.

They also said that my baptism wasn't "real" because according to Acts 2, I have to feel a "cut to the heart", then be baptized for the remission of my sins, and then I shal receive the Holy Spirit. They said that if it didn't happen like that, then I'm not a real Christian. This definitely made me quite upset that even devoted diciples of God could attempt to tell me who I am and what I'm not without knowing me.

Do you ladies agree or disagree with this? Is there any real "specific" way you become a Christian?

You know, I've had several people tell me the same thing as well. I like the fact that there are several denominations due to variety, but I can't help but feel that whenever someone steps to me and says such things that they are trying to project how they feel about me being a Christian. The word says that we are to help and correct each other in love and I don't think they were doing that at all.

I believe a Christian is not only someone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, but the way they live their life. To be a Christian is to be Christ-like, but we are not perfect, God knows this, but our goal is to always strive to be more like Him.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
Sweetyb said:

As Nat said, which was VERY well said, being a Christian simply means excepting Christ and doing what He says because you love for Him.

The "specific" way I became a Christian was excepting Christ's sacrifice and making him Lord over my life...and that's it. :lol: I think the Bible makes it very clear what salvation is. When people are telling you "do this, this, and this...then you're a Christian." It can become legalistic..Especially since REAL Christianity is about RELATIONSHIP with Christ and not about what you've "done".

A "real" Christian is simply someone who's excepted Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, and makes Jesus Lord over their life.

shunemite

Sweetyb said:

ITA with the ladies responses to your question! I don't think there's a specific way at all. God sees our hearts and as sophisticated as we humans like to be, it's as simple as believing in Jesus. 2 more verses come to mind concerning this issue.

Remember the thief who died on the right hand side of Jesus? All he said was: "Jesus, remember me when you come to your kingdom". Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you shall be with me in paradise." (Luke 24: 42-43). This man had no time to be baptized, or have someone lay hands on him. He just believed on Jesus, and he was saved.

The other verse that comes to mind was when Paul and Silas were in prison and the Lord shook their cell and the prison doors flew open. The jailor was so frightened he almost killed himself. He got on his knees and asked: "sirs, what must I do to get saved?" They replied, "believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved". (Acts 16: 30-31). This man's family, in the passage, was later on baptized, but the actual believing is what saved them.

If you believe in Jesus, and have accepted Him as your personal saviour, don't let ANYONE tell you you're not a Christian, because the bible says otherwise!

shunemite

Sweetyb said:
Do you believe that if a person has already been baptized, yet they falter (or their relationship with God lessens later on in life), that they need to repent, get baptized again, and send their sins into remission?
If so, what if being baptized again that the person falters again... does this mean that the person still has not been a Christian?

Good question! I think I have a verse for this too. 1 John 1:9: If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
We don't need to get rebaptized EVERY single time. We all sin and continue to sin even after salvation. The difference is, when you have a personal relationship with Jesus, the Holy Spirit convicts you, and you truly try to change. The fruits of the spirit will show in your life (Galatinas 5:22). Sometimes we rebel against God, (look at Jonah), but that doesn't mean we're not Christians any more.

Miosy

I would participate in the poll but I fit all the descriptions so can I say all of the above. :)

Last edited:

fivefoursweetie

i feel as though some of the ladies brought up beautiful points, with scriptures. i think a lot of what "people" try to do is to "act" a certain type of way that we were socialized to believe represents a "christian". a little off topic, but for instance, "people" say that someone is trying to act "black". well that is said with the assumtion that certain characteristics define "black", well i do not agree. to be a "christian" in the original meaning of the word, is to be a follow of Christ. Now, once you begin following Christ, you should begin to yearn for a deeper relationship with him, and with that yearing, it may be satiated by you fellowshiping with other believers, reading your bible, having a prayer life, following his commandments, and being Christ-like in your interactions. Other things like baptism are a physical representation of a spiritual arena...basically, you are physically representing the washing away of your sins and becoming a new creature.
please anyone let me know if im off base...this is just how i understand it. pray that this helps
peace and blessings

Sweetyb

shunemite said:
Good question! I think I have a verse for this too. 1 John 1:9: If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
We don't need to get rebaptized EVERY single time. We all sin and continue to sin even after salvation. The difference is, when you have a personal relationship with Jesus, the Holy Spirit convicts you, and you truly try to change. The fruits of the spirit will show in your life (Galatinas 5:22). Sometimes we rebel against God, (look at Jonah), but that doesn't mean we're not Christians any more.

I agree. Thank you for the scriptures :).

Sweetyb

fivefoursweetie said:
i feel as though some of the ladies brought up beautiful points, with scriptures. i think a lot of what "people" try to do is to "act" a certain type of way that we were socialized to believe represents a "christian". a little off topic, but for instance, "people" say that someone is trying to act "black". well that is said with the assumtion that certain characteristics define "black", well i do not agree. to be a "christian" in the original meaning of the word, is to be a follow of Christ. Now, once you begin following Christ, you should begin to yearn for a deeper relationship with him, and with that yearing, it may be satiated by you fellowshiping with other believers, reading your bible, having a prayer life, following his commandments, and being Christ-like in your interactions. Other things like baptism are a physical representation of a spiritual arena...basically, you are physically representing the washing away of your sins and becoming a new creature.
please anyone let me know if im off base...this is just how i understand it. pray that this helps
peace and blessings

I agree. Those who are ignorant will believe that you're not really "black" if, for example, you speak a different way. Same with Christianity. There are some christians or churches who set their own standards on how to define you as a Christian. No other churches' way of doing things is as good as theirs. I don't believe in any of that. I don't believe anyone can know your personal relationship with Jesus and God.

fivefoursweetie

exactly...dont let anyone else tell u if THEY believe u are a christian or not because of THEIR perception of YOUR personal relationship with God!!!

star

Sweetyb said:
Great scripture. I've never read it before, so thanks for sharing it. Is salvation the same as baptism?

Good questions:

Unconfessed sins is the only thing that can hinder you later in life. Although we can reap what we have sown all of this is totally up to God. This is why having a relationship with Him is so important. God does not just look at the action but the attitude. We all make mistakes and our mistakes are to make us better not bitter. Romans 8:23 or 8:28 says "All things work together for the good for them that love God and them who are called according to His purpose". When He said all He meant, the good things, the bad things and the ugly things. This is the miracle of being God's child He can take the worst things about our lives and turn them around to become the sweetest blessing. This is why daily we should confess our sins so we can remain under the blood of Jesus. God is only one who makes a desicion on how or if we should be punish about something. You do not need to get baptized again but you can "rededicated" your life to Him either private or public while confessing every sin and really being sorry about what you did it. Some Churches called it reinstatment if you have been gone or out of fellowship for awhile.

If a person keeps falling in a specific area is only indication that need to get closer to God through reading the word, prayer, fellowship and supporting a ministy to occupy your time. Also this is why I started a fasting and praying team on the forum to help bump up our power in God. Fasting and praying gives you the ultimate power over the enemy. Once a Christian always Christian unless you denounce the Holy Spirit or say He does not exist is the only thing that will take away your Christianity. Making mistakes does not say you are not a Christian but it shows an area of weakness where you need deliverance. God Bless Hope this helps. Encourge the person to join us in our weekly fasting and praying team GURANTEED RESULTS from God.

Sweetyb

star said:
You do not need to get baptized again but you can "rededicated" your life to Him either private or public while confessing every sin and really being sorry about what you did it. Some Churches called it reinstatment if you have been gone or out of fellowship for awhile.

{..}
Making mistakes does not say you are not a Christian but it shows an area of weakness where you need deliverance. God Bless Hope this helps. Encourge the person to join us in our weekly fasting and praying team GURANTEED RESULTS from God.

Thanks so much for your reply. I agree with what you said. I don't think anyone has the right to say whether or not someone is a Christian, nor tell you that you need to be baptized again in order to really be a Christian. I wish all Christians believed this.

melodee

I like the relationship category except for one thing--not adding Christ, thus the label Christian.

melodee

fivefoursweetie said:
exactly...dont let anyone else tell u if THEY believe u are a christian or not because of THEIR perception of YOUR personal relationship with God!!!

I agree we shouldn't judge.

But the Bible calls for us to spread the message of Jesus's sacrifice,love, and he offer to us to accept him.

So if a believer comes up to you and asks if you know Jesus, or if you've accepted Jesus, don't automatically think they are judging. Some may be in their heart, and you can tell by the way they word things--as if they are speaking down to you. But believers who are truly genuine evangelists are just trying to add folks to the kingdom.

melodee

Sweetyb said:
Do any of these define what makes you a Christian?
More than one? All, or none at all?

I was baptized at a somewhat young age, but I was not "taught" how to be a Christian. I was told to pray for my sins to be forgiven, but never read a word of the Bible. It wasn't until years later that I would pick up the Bible and begin to read and slowly come to understand some of God's words. Does this mean that because it wasn't my will to be baptized, and that I still did not know His word afterwards, does this mean that I have not been a Christian? Does it also mean that my baptism wasn't real?

I think God has been keeping you in His care for a long while. Have you personally invited Jesus in your life? Or was it someone else who put words into your mouth?

I believe that a believer's baptism is a way fro sinners saved through Christ's gift to express their willingness to obey and follow him. It is a wonderful step, but it isn't what brings Jesus in your heart. It's simply in the ask!

Now...because it wasn't your will to baptize doesn't mean that if you truly beleive Jesus saved you, that you are not. I'm not gonna say the baptism wasn't real, but if you are now committed to Christ when you weren't before, you can go for it again and show the world that you MEAN it this time. I think that is fine.

Sweetyb

melodee said:
I like the relationship category except for one thing--not adding Christ, thus the label Christian.

Opps! How did that escape me. Other religions believe in God, so it should have said "Have a relationship with God through Christ". Thanks for pointing that out.

Sweetyb

melodee said:
Now...because it wasn't your will to baptize doesn't mean that if you truly beleive Jesus saved you, that you are not. I'm not gonna say the baptism wasn't real, but if you are now committed to Christ when you weren't before, you can go for it again and show the world that you MEAN it this time. I think that is fine.

It was something my parents wanted for me and my siblings to do. So you believe that it wasn't real because I didn't choose to be baptized for myself?

melodee

Sweetyb said:
It was something my parents wanted for me and my siblings to do. So you believe that it wasn't real because I didn't choose to be baptized for myself?

Sweety, It's not for me to tell you whether or not your baptism was "real". It is a step of obedience, so it;s between you and the Lord.

What is real, is that you know that you're a sinner and that you believe that Jesus paid the price for those sins and you accept it. This is what is most important.

As I said, since I beleive that baptism is a step, there is no problem in doing it nagain now that you're in total control of your actions. But if you feel that you were saved and aware of what a baptism meant back then, than worry no longer.

Sweetyb

melodee said:
As I said, since I beleive that baptism is a step, there is no problem in doing it nagain now that you're in total control of your actions. But if you feel that you were saved and aware of what a baptism meant back then, than worry no longer.

Thanks Melodee, I'm just interested in everyone's opinions on the matter.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I think it is a mistake to be baptized as a young child. You don't have the knowledge at that time how to do God's will. Jesus was baptized as a public example- he always did God's will before that, but it was to show those around him that he was dedicating himself exclusively for God's will. So all christians follow this example today. It is important that we have a relationship w/ God...as christians at times we focus on Christ, but it is important not to forget God is the source of salvation....and this is only thru Jesus sacrifice on our behalf. Matt.3:14-14....Jo.3:16-16-18....

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
natalied said:

get baptized
pray
attend church
obey His commands
read His word
Love your neighbor
etc.

I totally agree. Baptism is a symbol of your belief in Jesus. Going to church, evangelizing, reading and doing His word, loving others, having a relationship with God, and etc are all things we should do as Christians. Since we all have fallen short of God's glory (by sinning), we must also be convicted by the Holy Spirit when we do wrong and repent from our sins.

Good thread! :)

1Specialk

melodee said:
I think God has been keeping you in His care for a long while. Have you personally invited Jesus in your life? Or was it someone else who put words into your mouth?

I believe that a believer's baptism is a way fro sinners saved through Christ's gift to express their willingness to obey and follow him. It is a wonderful step, but it isn't what brings Jesus in your heart. It's simply in the ask!

I agree :) . Also, I would like to add that in the Bible shows where people that was baptized into John's baptism were baptized again in the name of Jesus. (Acts 19:1-5)