What Not To Wear...

I don't like the way they always make it seem like they MUST chop their hair in order to be chic but the two ladies on the show have LONG hair. :perplexed

I was going to mention that. I didn't think he did a great job on the natural hair, but he did work with it.

And there was one episode where he did try to take some horrible weave out and the woman refused. :ohwell:

Most of the time the ppl who go on that show have seen it before and should know that Nick is all about the cut and color.

I remember that episode. Her weave was a hot mess, but she wanted to keep rather than "deal with what was underneath". So given that he was working with a weave that should have been removed MONTHS prior he did a good job of making it look presentable.

there was one episode, the time when they took someone to France with a $50,000 budget, where the woman was natural and they kept her natural. Nick Arrojo does do curly hair very well IMO, but i havent seen him do very good work witht he black women in the show. Usually though, they have weaves or really short hair, so it's not like he has a whole lot to work with. You can't rule out the chance that some of the BW refuse to NOT wear their weaves.

I concur...I watch WNTW all the time. I've seen him do a beautiful coil out on one young lady's hair. :lick:

He has the talent and skill. He lacks creativity.
Like the stylists on the show he's become a one trick pony. There is only about so many times you can put women in the same Banana Republic-esque trouser, pointy shoe, blaze and bright clutch outfit, nice as it may be. Similarly there's only about so many times you can expect me to believe all 30 women have the same facial features as to merit the same hair length.
He's an impish elf of a man who isn't interested in making them look nice so much as he's interested in getting "his" way, his thing just happens to be short hair.

I much prefer the Tim Gunn show by far!

i didn't like the "why did you wait so long" question at all

Neither did I.
I'm pretty sure he could've done the same hairstyle with a blowdryer and flatiron. He should've taken into consideration the fact that the woman will probably not take care of her relaxed hair :ohwell: Hopefully she kept it up. If not, hope she finds this thread and pays the $6.50 to join LOL

He's an impish elf of a man...

I think he looks like a hobbit when he wears his hair curly. :giggle:

But anyway... I didn't know they relaxed her hair- I dozed off. However, my gripe was how they kept making her feel bad about the scarf. Yeah it was the saaaame scarf over and over but still.

My friend and I were wondering what they would have done if she (or any other participant) wore the scarf (or any other head covering) for religious reasons. It seemed like they think covering the hair destroys a "look".

I like Nick but the past year or so he's been chopping everyone's hair off. There have been some episodes where I CRINGED at the poor victims' hair!

I did see an episode though where he styled a natural. She had 4b mostly (some 4a) hair dyed Koolaid red and he gave her a normal color and finger-styled it. It looked nice. He made some comment though like "hair like this gets better the more you work with it." :ohwell:

I watched that last night too and I was fuming when he asked her how long she was natural and she said 5-6 years and he actually asked her "WHY have you gone so long w/o a relaxer?" like it's just natural for every black woman to have a relaxer.

I have natural hair but I'm not a natural hair militant, but I hate on these makeover shows how they don't respect that we have options and beautiful hair does not equate with straight only...but you know what a lot of us feel that way also. I've been natural for 5 years myself and a few still ask me when I'm gonna get a relaxer.

In his defense when he asked her she did not speak up for herself or say that she wanted to keep her hair natural. When he asked her she just shrugged her shoulders and said I'ono, so he started creaming it up and cutting.

Side note: I hope Clinton & Stacy pulled her aside and told her she need to get her teeth fixed.

I agree with the person who said they are just one trick ponies. I think Nick is a good stylist but he lacks imaginiation like the other girl said.

I'm mad that in the intro to the hair segment Stacy's voice over said that she received a "hair conditioner."

Then when Nick pulled the towel off of her hair, it was bone straight. I'm personally waiting for this show to get re vamped or canceled.

I missed him giving her a perm. I didn't see that. I don't remember her hair being wet. Did I miss something? Her hair was straight when she sat down in the chair to begin with. Looked like she straightened it or something. I didn't see him giver her a relaxer.

Even if he did give her a relaxer, maybe she wanted one. There are plenty naturals who go back to relaxers..

Back