TLC's What Not To Wear - Hair Makeover

kriolagirl

so i'm watching tonight's episode on DVR and it's a cute young black girl from philly. she wears a scarf everyday and just had her in a ponytail. of course i'm waiting like "what is nick going to do?" well when they come to the hair section he takes her scarf off and her hair is superstraight and in two french braids--nothing like it had been the whole episode. as he takes the braids apart he asks her if she likes the relaxer they had given her (off screen). she said yes that she liked it but that it was different because she hasn't had her hair relaxed for 5 years. he says "well why did you wait so long to do that?" wtf? he then cut her hair into a bob and gave her bangs. the end result was cute and the girl was happy, but i didn't like the implication that she couldn't have had a nice hairstyle without getting a relaxer. i am by no means anti-relaxer at all...i jst know that i had been told for my whole life that the only way my hair would be straight/nice/manageable is if i got a relaxer...and it just isn't the case. don't mind me this is my late night rant lol. i jst think sometimes black women get a little messed over on these shows.

Naturallong81

I don't think alot of stylist can handle our hair if its not relaxed. it was probaly more for his convience. Alot of stylist don't have a clue what to do with natural hair be they black, white, or other.

SEMO

While I love WNTW, Nick does love to cut people's hair off just because. I once saw him cut a naturals ear length hair into a TWA just because. To him a makeover = hair cut, maybe some color. I don't like his implication to the woman either.

truequeen06

OMG! I was just watching this with my mom and got a little upset that they relaxed her hair after she stopped relaxing 5 yrs ago. I was more upset at the fact that they felt she HAD to get a relaxer to look put together and professional. I was kind off upset when they cut all that hair off too lol. And then they had the nerve to call it a conditioning treatment . . .

Lei*Lei

Maybe she wanted it relaxed? I've seen alot of episodes where they leave the naturals, natural...even though they may cut it shorter or add some color. She could have declined a relaxer if she did'nt really want it.

His comment "why did you wait so long to do it" is uncalled for though. Unless off air she said something like she wished she relaxed sooner...can't really know what happened when the cameras weren't rolling.