What relaxer do you use and why?

Kamilla16

Hi everybody, I was just curious to what relaxer you ladies use. /images/graemlins/confused.gif On my next touch-up I want to try a different relaxer. I currently use Soft & Beautiful No-Lye.

Thanks,
Karima /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DiamondDoll

Hi Kamilla....

I use Elucence Relxer (w/ Lye) because it is very gentle on my hair and it more texturizes it than relaxes it so it is not damaging in anyway.

mahogani

hello i use Botanicals by soft and beautiful it's made out of aloe and other natural plant extracts and it comes with a leave in conditioner i've been using it for about 3 years now and it's not harsh on my hair . /images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

I use Designer's Touch Lye Relaxer because it doesn't burn my scalp like other relaxers I've tried in the past plus it leaves some body in my hair and I don't end up with lifeless hair stuck to my skull after my retouch. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pmichael52172

My new stylist used Design Essentials LO-LYE relaxer. I really liked it. It has shea butter and other conditioners in it and was VERY moisturizing. I also like the fact that it is less harsh and works more like a texturizer.

LondonDiva

I use Affirm Lye relaxer in regular. It works well with my 4b type hair and relaxes it very well without fear of the "under processed look" like I used to get when I used motions.

azul11

i am glad to see someone using regular too. i used motions in regular because i knew my hair would laugh at mild. i want to try affirm because i heard that the results with motions werent always consistent but i have yet to find a stylist who does it that i trust. how did you hair turn out using it? did you use regular for motions or do you normally use regular strength in relaxers? God bless you all.

LondonDiva

I wish I could have used a mild with the Motion. My hair was getting relaxed using the Super and it didn't do a darn thing for my hair.

It looked underprocessed each and every time I used it. I went over it with Affirm when I switched and did a "pull through" which made all the difference to me.

Integrity

i know what u mean azul, for my next retouch i am going to transition to lye with motions. i am 4b and i have heard bad things about motions on 4ab hair. AND i bought a 4lb tub of motions regular!!!!

i am keeping my fingers crosssed that my hair likes it or it would have been a waste of ma monie! /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

azul11

yeah thats what i am worried about is the consistency. i have braids now and i know when its time to take the braids out i will want to get a touch up and i dont want it to look underprocessed because that will just mess me up because it wont be good for me to try to correct it for free of overprocessing and then i will be stuck with it. and that would suck especially to have underprocessed lye, lye and then frizzy no lye. i would have to do like three different treatments for each parts of my hair. so i want a relaxer that is consistent. God bless you all.

Country gal

My hair stylist used Mezzani Sensitive relaxer on my hair for the first time and it turned out well. In the past she has used Sensitive by Nature and Affirm.

Ebony

I use either Bantu (found in most dominican salons) mild or Motions mild /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. They are very gentle on my hair and I don't have to leave them on for long at all. The frizz /images/graemlins/confused.gif that comes with my natural curls turn into wavy, defined curls /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I love the option of straight or curly.

BronxDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
sbaker said:
My hair stylist used Mezzani Sensitive relaxer on my hair for the first time and it turned out well. In the past she has used Sensitive by Nature and Affirm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto on the Mizzani /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Babygurl

I love reviving old threads...I use Lusters Pink or Lusters Smooth Touch relaxers.
They make my hair super shiny and soft and have helped my hair stay healthy for years...I've never had a prob with them...but for some reason my hair hates any other Lusters Pink products

karezone

I am currently using Optimum Care lye relaxer system but I might be switching to Motions (lye) in Novemer. I am trying to simplify things and the Optimum Care has too many steps.

Stormy

I was using Motions mild, (lye also) but I haven't been satisfied with my last two touch ups. I'm switching to Textures and Tones for my next relaxer. I've been using this on my daughter's hair (lye) and her hair comes out so nice and silky!

love2praz

[ QUOTE ]
My hair was getting relaxed using the Super and it didn't do a darn thing for my hair.

It looked underprocessed each and every time I used it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same problem with Motions.
Now, I use Dark and Lovely No-Lye Regular Strength.

Cindy70

I'm getting ready to use the Lusters Smooth Touch no-lye. I've heard a couple of good things about it. I hope that I like it. My last relaxer was with African Pride lye and before that African Pride no-lye.

jaibee

MAN it has been a MINUTE since i had a bantu on my head. My very first stylist that I ever had used to use this. My hair was very healthy and always came out silky, but Bantu used to burn the SH&amp;* out of my head. My stylist used to have me ready to
that ***!!! But my hair used to also be bone straight with Bantu and I hate having bone straight hair now. That was also before I learned that relaxers are NOT supposed to burn.
[ QUOTE ]
I use either Bantu (found in most dominican salons) mild or Motions mild &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" /&gt;. They are very gentle on my hair and I don't have to leave them on for long at all. The frizz &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" /&gt; that comes with my natural curls turn into wavy, defined curls &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/shocked.gif" alt="" /&gt;. I love the option of straight or curly.

[/ QUOTE ]

jaibee

oh and btw, my old stylist used a relaxer called ashtae. I had never heard of it before her but it was the bomb.

Hey why don't we ever give big ups to the Jamaican/Jamerican hairstylists? I've always had great experiences with them and they always believed in long healthy hair

beana3

my last touchup (8/26) was with Revlon Realistic mild lye. The beautician (yes, i caved and had my relaxer professionally done!) left it on for 25 mins . My hair was very straight, almost bone. It has soo much body and shine.. i was amazed.
I'm going to have all my touch ups done at the salon from now on.

SoniT

If my hairdresser does it, she uses Affirm. If I do it at home, I use Motions regular. However, one time I made the mistake of buying Dark N Lovely from CVS and it did nothing for my hair.

pooh123

My stylist uses Designer's Touch Lye relaxer on my hair. I like it because it doesn't leave my hair bone straight and stuck to my scalp as much as other brands of relaxers do.

HTH!
pooh123

Islandgirl

Designer Touch relaxer because I think its good to be consistent with the relaxer you use (when I tried other relaxers, that messed up my hair). Also, Designer Touch gives great results.

LABETT

I like mizani sensitive scalp relaxer because i can go 2
month before my next retouch.

I have to use a dandruff shampoo with every wash and others
relaxers on last about 4-6 weeks before I have to retouch.
my dandruff shampoo does not work well with affirm.

northernbelle

For the past four years, my stylist has applied Affirm Mild Lye relaxer to my hair. This is my first experience with a mild; it's working out well for me.

In the past, I have had Motions, Dudley, and Revlon Cream of Nature Lye Relaxers applied to my hair - all regular strength.

northernbelle