What should I do before I perm?

kittenz

:confused: My hair has been shedding and breaking this last week and I want to fix this before I perm it in about 2-3 weeks. Should I use protein? This has always been "normal" for me but with everything I've learned I know it shouldn't be. Right now I don't even need a perm. My NG is soft and well moisturised but I still have shed/broken hairs on my shirt all day and when I comb (even though I comb gently and it super easy to get through). Any more grerat advice?:look:

ayoung

If u don't need a perm I wouldn't get one.

I would do a protein treatment (luv Nexxus Emergency--stops my breakage on the spot!) and then a Deep Condition with a moisturizing conditioner (I luv Nessus Humectress--I haven't found any other DC to match it's moisture).

Make sure ur hair is moisturized and that you aren't using too much heat also.

kittenz

:covereyes Okay... I'll close my eyes and you ladies run and leave comments. When I open them I wont know who did it. Okay? GO!!!!:yep:

kittenz

ayoung1981 said:

I would do a protein treatment (luv Nexxus Emergency--stops my breakage on the spot!) and then a Deep Condition with a moisturizing conditioner (I luv Nessus Humectress--I haven't found any other DC to match it's moisture).

I don't need a perm now but in 2-3 weeks I will;) . That's why I want to fix the breakage now before it's relaxer time. Thanks for the advice.:)

locabouthair

ayoung1981 said:

I agree. when was your last protein treatment. u can use emergencee or maybe aphogee (cuz I think it's cheaper than emergencee) just make sure u dit with it under the dryer and let it get hard but DO NOT comb it. then rinse it out and follow wiht a moisturizing conditioner.

I suggests you read these threads about hair breakage. They are long but worth it.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=93610

you are doing the right thing by trying to fix the problem b4 u relax.

dreysonsmommy2011

There may be something wrong with your everyday routine. I would suggest that you do a heavy duty protein treatment since you said that your hair is well moisturized.(I'm thinking there are some issues with your moisture/protein balance) I would also examine what it is exactly that you are doing to your hair. Heavy manipulation and heat can cause hair to break and if you haven't tried porosity control i highly recommend it. It is great for improving the hair's elasticity( this can allow hair to stretch and not break) I usually use porosity control every other week;)