What should I know before rollersetting my natural hair?

inthepink

I think I'm finally going to try rollersetting my natural hair. I've read many posts about rollersetting and have looked at pictures of rollersetting. Now, what do I need to know about rollersetting "natural" hair. What's the best way to get my roots as straight as possible? What's the best way to get it as smooth as possible? What's the best way to keep my ends straight? How do I roll it keeping it straight enough so it dries straight enough? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

joyous

I really don't do anything different from when I was relaxed. I start with soaking wet hair, no wringing out. I put in a leave-in to smooth my hair down, a very light coating of oil and then set with large mesh rollers. I smooth each piece with a large tooth comb, then small tooth comb and slide a end paper down the length to the ends. Hold it tautly and then proceed to wrap it around the roller. It's basically the same technique, except that you may have to spritz more often because natural hair seems to absorb water faster. I start out on high heat for about 10 minutes, then switch to medium for the remainder of the time. I usually get a silky smooth set with body and my hair looks like it is permed.HTH

firecracker

joyous said:
I really don't do anything different from when I was relaxed. I start with soaking wet hair, no wringing out. I put in a leave-in to smooth my hair down, a very light coating of oil and then set with large mesh rollers. I smooth each piece with a large tooth comb, then small tooth comb and slide a end paper down the length to the ends. Hold it tautly and then proceed to wrap it around the roller. It's basically the same technique, except that you may have to spritz more often because natural hair seems to absorb water faster. I start out on high heat for about 10 minutes, then switch to medium for the remainder of the time. I usually get a silky smooth set with body and my hair looks like it is permed.HTH

Lawd I have 4c/4ddd hair. I doubt if I could get a smooth rollerset. Next weekend I am going to try your method just to see.

Queenie

I'm not natural but, using aloe vera gel makes my hair stick to the roller. Otherwise it's a fight. :swordfigh

Ayeshia

Carefree has like THE best rollerset results. I think she went to a dominican salon to get it rolled. And then she went home herself to flat iron it and trim her ends. Looks just like relaxed hair.

Syrah

Me?! I haven't figured out how to do a smooth rollerset since going natural. I have 3C/4A hair that will not come out SMOOTH. Curls up at the roots etc.

Using end papers helped for me, but I'm going to give the mesh rollers a try.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Doing a ponytail roller set helped my roots to dry straight. It's hard for me to reach the back of my head so this helped.

Use something that will give you a little hold like lottabody. It helps my hair come out silky as opposed to fluffly and lifeless.

Use a fine tooth comb on each section, comb straight, make sure the ends are on the roller smooth and roll up tight. Keeping the rollers taut is the key to a smooth silky set.

Good luck!

crlsweetie912

use the endpapers with the mesh roller. Wrap the hair in each section with the end wrap, slide the end wrap to a little past the ends of your hair, tug on the hair using the endwrap for "grip" and roll and keep taughness. I hope this is understandable!

joyous

caligirl said:
Are mesh rollers better than plastic rollers for setting natural hair?

I prefer the mesh because I can get the roots straighter because you are able to adjust the pin accordingly. Also I find that the magnetic rollers leave my curls kind of hard, as opposed to the mesh which give a silky set.