Rollersetting my natural hair

IndianAngel22

i want to try roller setting for once but I can't figure out what to get. I search and search these forums and I keep finding people who use the hard rollers with the clips, but I just don't see how this will work for my hair. I want to know if as a natural rollersetting will work, what I should but to get it as straight as possible, sizes, colors. I just need help :(

Here's my texture. I am about shoulder length.

Attachments

• hair1.jpg
    hair1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 35
  • hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 23

naturalgurl

I used the regular magnetic rollers. I think those are the ones you are talking about when you say the rollers with the clips. I'm a 4 hair type with APL unstretched hair. They got my hair straight but the important thing is to make sure it dries. I airdried mine and next time I will sit under the hair dryer. Curlformers do an excellent job. I've seen results here that would make you think the person is relaxed and they have 4 type hair like mine. I think the magnetic ones would work for you. Look in my fotki and look under experiments and you'll see my results. I didn't get great results like the others because my hair wasn't totally dry. But to say it wasn't totally dry, I was impressed. I know I can do a better job and I will.

tatiana

if you are shoulder length, I would say purple rollers and a few red rollers if you are using clips. These are the hard magnetic kind.

i am a natural and I just got it roller set and that is what she used purple and red for my nape. She followed up with a flat iron but it was straight prior to the flat iron.

I would recommend going to a hairdresser first to see what they use and how they place the rollers on the head. Also it may take you several times of trying in order for you to get a decent roller set. Practice makes perfect.

I will try to upload my picture later.

sydwrites

If you are new to rollersetting I would definately get the magnetic ones with the covers to help you get the hair as taught as possible. Sometimes colors depend on the brand so try the 1' 1/2 and the 1' ones, they are usually around $1.25/pack. If you are confident that you can get it taught without the covers, then buy a pack of the clips and that will save you the dents from the covers, but since you're natural you'll probably have to put some heat on at least the roots on the front of your head. I agree with letting a professional do it first to get a feel for how it should look, or you could buy the Curlformers since they always get the roots so much straighter than the other rollwers. Make sure your hair is 100% dry before taking them out whatever your choice!

danimani

You can buy the clips at Sally's for a couple of bucks (for about 100 clips). I prefer the clips to the covers because the clips hold the roller in place a lot firmer.

AtlantaJJ

If you are new to rollersetting I would definately get the magnetic ones with the covers to help you get the hair as taught as possible. Sometimes colors depend on the brand so try the 1' 1/2 and the 1' ones, they are usually around $1.25/pack. If you are confident that you can get it taught without the covers, then buy a pack of the clips and that will save you the dents from the covers, but since you're natural you'll probably have to put some heat on at least the roots on the front of your head. I agree with letting a professional do it first to get a feel for how it should look, or you could buy the Curlformers since they always get the roots so much straighter than the other rollwers. Make sure your hair is 100% dry before taking them out whatever your choice!
That's a great idea about using the ones with the covers for natural hair, that makes sense because you would just use the flat iron to get the bumps out.

I not quiet sure which pattern I could roll my hair in though...

There a quick a few videos on YouTube I found helpful. Here are a few http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCPyoaRZ8pk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFeDTx652wY

The end results may look different. It just depends on your hair type. I tried to do this and mine didn't turn quite the same. If felt dry and stiff. It could have been because I used setting lotion and mouse which contain alcohol which is drying and I have 4b have which naturally dry. I will try using a light moisturized that doesn't contain alcohol on my next roller set.

HTH

I wish I could roller set my natural hair.:lachen: LMAO! There is no way I would be able to rollerset nor flat iron my hair, its too thick and course.

IndianAngel22

What about flexi rods? Which color would be the best size for my hair? Would those work well? I don't see how curlformers would get my hair straighter?

BillsBackerz67

What about flexi rods? Which color would be the best size for my hair? Would those work well? I don't see how curlformers would get my hair straighter?
curl formers give you pretty much the same results as a flexi rod set from what ive seen. I think the hair gets actually straighter with the curl formers. I would try but they are too expensive.

kblc06

i want to try roller setting for once but I can't figure out what to get. I search and search these forums and I keep finding people who use the hard rollers with the clips, but I just don't see how this will work for my hair. I want to know if as a natural rollersetting will work, what I should but to get it as straight as possible, sizes, colors. I just need help :(

Here's my texture. I am about shoulder length.

Oh don't be discouraged...the first few times I did mine, it was NOTHING to write home about :ohwell: But now, I can consistently get good results.

Here's a pic tutorial in my fotki:

http://public.fotki.com/kblc06/new-hair-year-2-jan/wet-rollerset-tutor/

Also a few tips
- Make sure your hair remains WET so that it can stick to the magnetic rollers.
-Use a creamy leave-in (whatever works for your hair), that helps smooth the texture. My personal favorite is Cantu shea butter leave-in repair cream or Africa's best organic hair mayo. I also apply a dab of chi silk infusion to each section. Some also like to use a setting lotion as well
-Depending on the look you want, use the appropriate sized roller. Since I'm normally rollersetting to get a straight look, I use larger sized rollers (purple, and grey). For your length, you may want to use the pink or orange (1.25-1.50 inches in diameter)

HTH :grin:

BillsBackerz67

Oh I would also look into mesh rollers if the magnetics dont work out for you. I personally dont like the magnetics as they are too slippery and my hair has to be SOAKED in order for it to stick to the roller. With the mesh rollers I can still set my hair even if its damp and they are easier to manipulate. my hair also dries faster as well.

IndianAngel22

Oh don't be discouraged...the first few times I did mine, it was NOTHING to write home about :ohwell: But now, I can consistently get good results.

Here's a pic tutorial in my fotki:

http://public.fotki.com/kblc06/new-hair-year-2-jan/wet-rollerset-tutor/

Also a few tips
- Make sure your hair remains WET so that it can stick to the magnetic rollers.
-Use a creamy leave-in (whatever works for your hair), that helps smooth the texture. My personal favorite is Cantu shea butter leave-in repair cream or Africa's best organic hair mayo. I also apply a dab of chi silk infusion to each section. Some also like to use a setting lotion as well
-Depending on the look you want, use the appropriate sized roller. Since I'm normally rollersetting to get a straight look, I use larger sized rollers (purple, and grey). For your length, you may want to use the pink or orange (1.25-1.50 inches in diameter)

HTH :grin:

Wow your instructions on your Fotki were great. so how often do you do you rollersets and when did you start. Do you attribute this to your growth? And with the magnetic rollers the hair actually sticks tot he roller? That's how everyone gets it to lay down?

Ivy Santolina

I'm going to try kblc06's method today. It will dry while I'm doing homework which I'm supposed to be doing right now - LOL. Thanks kblc06 for your tutorial.

kblc06

Wow your instructions on your Fotki were great. so how often do you do you rollersets and when did you start. Do you attribute this to your growth? And with the magnetic rollers the hair actually sticks tot he roller? That's how everyone gets it to lay down?

I actually did one late friday/early saturday (I'll post a thread today on it). I normally do them when I'm craving straight hair and at the same time trying to avoid direct heat. Actually I've only began doing them since I've been natural (my mom used to do them when I was relaxed). I watched some tutorials, and once I found a way to fit all the rollers on my head it was smooth sailing. I don't attribute rollersets to my current growth because I don't think I do them frequently enough, but I HAVE experienced retention with them in the past. The hair doesn't actually "stick" to the roller, but the ends should smooth onto it without falling off (this normally occurs when the hair is sufficiently wet). Use your thumbs to smooth as you apply tension. HTH :grin:

Last edited: