What should I use? 4b hair dry and breaks easily!

MRJ1972

My daughter has 4b hair that breaks easily and is extremely dry. I have just started her on a co-wash regime, and I use V05 with the co-wash. Should I also encorporate a protein for the co-wash? If so, what do you think would be good. For her regular regime, ( which I have only been doing for the past 2 weeks) we use, pre-poo, Aphogee 2 min reconstructor and EVOO for 5 minutes with plastic cap, for shampoo I use KeraCare Moisturizing Shampoo, deep conditioner ORS Replinishing and Porosity Control for 30 minutes under hooded dryer and leave ins- GVP Paul Mitchell-The conditioner, NTM Silk Touch and Kera Care Silken Sheen to seal....What am I doing wrong?

By the way, when i co-wash I have to brush her hair into a ponytail and then tie it down..She is neck length but the back is very short so I have brush really hard to get the hair into the ponytail, but the ends of the ponytail are ALWAYS dry-even though i tuck them- and the middle of the hair and the scalp is ALWAYS dry.

My daughter has 4b hair that breaks easily and is extremely dry. I have just started her on a co-wash regime, and I use V05 with the co-wash. Should I also encorporate a protein for the co-wash? If so, what do you think would be good. For her regular regime, ( which I have only been doing for the past 2 weeks) we use, pre-poo, Aphogee 2 min reconstructor and EVOO for 5 minutes with plastic cap, for shampoo I use KeraCare Moisturizing Shampoo, deep conditioner ORS Replinishing and Porosity Control for 30 minutes under hooded dryer and leave ins- GVP Paul Mitchell-The conditioner, NTM Silk Touch and Kera Care Silken Sheen to seal....What am I doing wrong?

By the way, when i co-wash I have to brush her hair into a ponytail and then tie it down..She is neck length but the back is very short so I have brush really hard to get the hair into the ponytail, but the ends of the ponytail are ALWAYS dry-even though i tuck them- and the middle of the hair and the scalp is ALWAYS dry.

I think you are doing too much, as far as products go. Is she relaxed or natural?

1. Aphogee 2min as a prepoo may be a problem if she doesn't need protein. Combine that with ORS , you have more protein. Don't add more protein for the cowash.

2. Since her hair is super dry then you need to be focusing on deep conditioning with strong moisture conditioners. You can check the Deep conditioning challenge thread for a whole bunch of suggestions. You should probably DC twice a week.

3. Cowashing everyday, especially with VO5 which isn't a dc, may just be drying her hair out. And since her hair is dry and then you brush it into a pony tail it may be too much manipulation. I think you should just DC twice a week and give her a hairstyle that lasts till the next wash day. How old is she? That will affect what type of hairstyle you and she will like.

4. Why does she need 3 leave ins? I know you're tryin to up her moisture but even if these did, you wouldn't know which one is actually helping her.
Simplify the products. Use one thing for each step...prepoo (if she even needs that), wash, DC, leave-in, sealer. That way you'll be able to narrow down what's working and what's not.

you can also try using paul mitchell super-charged moisturizer. Use a cap and let her sit under the dryer with it for 15 min with a 5 min cool down period. I don't know how patient she will be with this (my little one can get a little restless) but it moisturizes her hair well.

I think you are doing too much, as far as products go. Is she relaxed or natural?

1. Aphogee 2min as a prepoo may be a problem if she doesn't need protein. Combine that with ORS , you have more protein. Don't add more protein for the cowash.

2. Since her hair is super dry then you need to be focusing on deep conditioning with strong moisture conditioners. You can check the Deep conditioning challenge thread for a whole bunch of suggestions. You should probably DC twice a week.

3. Cowashing everyday, especially with VO5 which isn't a dc, may just be drying her hair out. And since her hair is dry and then you brush it into a pony tail it may be too much manipulation. I think you should just DC twice a week and give her a hairstyle that lasts till the next wash day. How old is she? That will affect what type of hairstyle you and she will like.

4. Why does she need 3 leave ins? I know you're tryin to up her moisture but even if these did, you wouldn't know which one is actually helping her.
Simplify the products. Use one thing for each step...prepoo (if she even needs that), wash, DC, leave-in, sealer. That way you'll be able to narrow down what's working and what's not.

Thanks you are right...I just started on this forum and of course, I am buying any and everything that is recommended without determining if it will work....I was under the impression that you should co-wash if the hair is dry, and that you should use a protein and moisturizing balance.... I dont know!!!!, I have read so much information that everything is starting to sound alike!!!! I will step back and slow down...She is 14 and relaxed by the way, and VERY VOCAL about her hair...she is not the least bit interested in my protective style lectures...I was going to do some cornrows until her next relaxer, because I was trying to stretch her relaxer to 3 months...I am doing a sew in to stretch my hair which is low maintenance, so I am trying to focus on her hair at this time

Back