What the HECK was I thinking???

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I was looking at my old progress pics and I saw the one from January of 2006. My hair was only about 3 or 4 inches from brastrap which my goal length.

What the heck was I thinking? I went from having fairly long hair here:

stuff129-vi.jpg
Pics in next response.

To really short hair here:

thebigcut019-vi.jpg

WHAT WAS I THINKING?? :nuts:

Next time I even have any urge to go that short somebody come slap me!!

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the short cut. It is soooooo easy to manage. I just want my long hair back!

Last edited:
Us women are NEVER satisified huh ? :lachen: I think we all go through this at one time or another. I am so feeling you because I have done the same thing. At the very least, be glad your head isn't oddly shaped and you have a pretty face that can rock the short styles:yep:

You have delicate features so the cut is flattering. Enjoy it while it lasts cause your hair will be back to your shoulders sooner than you think!!

You should have told us you wanted to cut your hair before you cut it.:lachen: It looks great though.

DSD, that cut really looks HAWT on your! :clapping:

Of course, I know what you mean because I go through it with natural vs. relaxed hair. I'm relax and sometimes want to go natural. And yet every time I've been natural, I wish for relax. I wish all our hair was versatile so we could just snap our fingers every time we wanted a change. :yep:

:lachen::lachen:
It's pretty though, and its always good to have a fresh start.
I think about cutting all my hair off instead of transitioning at least 2x a day, i wish i could just go for it like that.

Well you know I did the same thing 2 years ago and I was past bra strap. I say it is good to do it once and get it out your system instead of waiting until you are waistlength to do it. But you know how to grow your hair so you will have your length back in no time. Sometimes I think "man I could be waistlength by now" but I did enjoy my short hair so it was worth it. Q

1st off - that hair cut is HAWT!!! :grin:

2nd - i still think about doing another BC at least once a week... LOL! :lachen: i love my hair, and it's awesome watching it grow and change, and i really REALLY want to stick with this and see just how long it can grow. but sometimes, i just wanna go back to short, low-maintenance hair.

well it'll be braided up soon and i won't have to worry about it for a few months anyway... :yep:

Alright, now, as my mother would say: "Done is done." The wonderful thing, though, is you know how to take care of your hair as it grows back, and you can enjoy the process, instead of living in regret. I appreciate you sharing your feelings with us, though. I hope that any of us here can PM you if we're thinking about doing the same thing, and you can share your feelings with us again, so that we're able to make the decision with a different perspective. I think the ladies in this LHCF community care about each other's hair enough to be supportive of what our true goals are, even when we think we want to stray. :grouphug:

I was looking at my old progress pics and I saw the one from January of 2006. My hair was only about 3 or 4 inches from brastrap which my goal length.

stuff129-vi.jpg
Pics in next response.

thebigcut019-vi.jpg

Next time I even have any urge to got that short somebody come slap me!!

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the short cut. It is soooooo easy to manage. I just want my long hair back!

I thought the same thing when I saw your recent pictures...BUTTTTTTTTT it was your decision ANNNNNNNNNDDDDDD It will grow back I LOVEEEEEEEE YOUR SHORT CUT IT'S THE HOTNESS you've done something that I have never gotten the nerve to do... I have never worn my hair short better yet I used to cry when I got a trim...sometimes it was for a good reason because the stylist hacked my hair off BUTTTTTTT dontspeakdefeat the short hair goes so well with your face and makes you features stand out more. It will grow back!!! :grin:

Wellllllll.......You look VERY happy in the second pic:grin:...and CUTE!:yep: I have chopped and grown back hair for YEARS. EVERYTIME I chop I feel the way yo u do. However, you look absolutely gorgeous with the short hair. I actually think it becomes you more. You look good either way. But short hair makes your features stand out (just like when you wear a bun). Work it while you can girl! It will be back in a snap (if you choose to grow it back that is).

We should agree to a 7-day cooling-off period before ANY longtern hair change!

But your hair will grow back and your journey will be easier this time because you KNOW what you're doing.

You are such an inspriation on this site, keep your head up and work that short do while it last! :grin:

Your screenname says it all "dontspeakdefeat".....you were not defeated by that haircut just sidetracked. You have a picture of a hair goal that you can and WILL acheive again. The best thing about it is that it's of your OWN hair!! :yep:

I like the cut a lot! At least you get a fresh start, and when, not if, but WHEN it grows back it will be even better :)

Girl you are rocking that short cut!!!! But since you said we can slap you next time you have an urge I sign up for job :grin::grin::grin: j/k

Y'all have made my day.

I'm not sure if I really regret it because it really happened over about 10 month's time. It started with layers and got shorter and shorter every month. Before this cut my hair was about chin length so it wasn't extremely dramatic but I have never worn my hair this short before. I actually like the short cut and I have been rocking some hairstyles I could never wear with longer hair. Once I figure out what to do with it, I will be fine.

Thanks for all the support and compliments. I love you guys!!

DSD, don't regret the move. At least you did what you wanted; it wasn't some scissor-happy stylist that went to town on your head. And as you say, there are perks since you find it easier to style and are enjoying the look. (Ironically, I've always longed for long hair coz I find long hair easier to style than short hair. Go figure.) As your hair grows, make sure you enjoy each stage as much as possible so you don't regret a missed chance to wear a certain do. The journey can be a great adventure if you focus on the positives. And I say you better make the most of it coz you'll be back to that longer length in no time. If I remember correctly, your hair grows really fast. I think you once got an inch or two in a month, n'est-ce pas? So at least you know the regimen that gets you those results so you can always return to it if you start to get impatient. But I say have fun while you can with this length coz you'll miss it soon enough.

Last edited:
DSD, don't regret the move. At least you did what you wanted; it wasn't some scissor-happy stylist that went to town on your head. And as you say, there are perks since you find it easier to style and are enjoying the look. (Ironically, I've always longed for long hair coz I find long hair easier to style than short hair. Go figure.) As your hair grows, make sure you enjoy each stage as much as possible so you don't regret a missed chance to wear a certain do. The journey can be a great adventure if you focus on the positives. And I say you better make the most of it coz you'll be back to that longer length in no time. If I remember correctly, your hair grows really fast. I think you once got an inch or two in a month, n'est-ce pas? So at least you know the regimen that gets you those results so you can always return to it if you start to get impatient. But I say have fun while you can with this length coz you'll miss it soon enough.
True, I forgot about all that growth I was getting from the supplements and all. Some months I got like 1-1 1/2 inches of growth. Im not worried about whether or not is grows back cause I now I can grow some hair. I always have been able to.

I'll make sure to enjoy the in between stages!

stuff129-vi.jpg
Pics in next response.

thebigcut019-vi.jpg

Next time I even have any urge to go that short somebody come slap me!!

I did the same thing back in 2005. My hair was brastrap but then after dealing with some problems in my life, I just chopped it all off. It was cool for a while but then I missed playing with it and all that. But I hear you with it being easy to manage!

Back