What to do with hair whilst travelling the world!

Channy31

Slight exaggeration I certainly won't be travelling the whole world haha!

So i'm graduating university July this year and i've decided to go travelling. I'm going to hop from country to country for long periods of time, so I definitely can't bring my stash of products. Also I can't get a weave/ braids because I could be anywhere round the world by the time I choose to take them out and I may have no clue where to get it. Also I don't feel like sitting around for hours undoing braids rather than getting outside and enjoying my travels!

What would you do whilst traveling?

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Get a couple lace wigs and take them with you. Wig regimens are super easy. You could also do wash n gos or straight styles depending on the weather. You will be able to find the basics like conditioner for a cowash pretty much wherever u go. If you find any holy grail products while traveling please let us know!

Ogoma

Styling or products you should pack?

I only pack moisturizers for in-between washes and a bit of my oil mix because I also use it to remove makeup. I pick up rinse out conditioners (double as a leave-in) and/or gels when I get there. I either get sample sizes or full sizes depending on how long I am staying. I will use the hotel shampoo mixed with conditioner if I need it. If I am going somewhere remote, I will pick up supplies at my first port of entry into the country, which will most likely be a large city. You can find everything you need in most places in the world. I will also utilize local ingredients and supplies while I am there - rhassoul clay and argan oil in Morocco for example.

I am not a wig person at all so I will probably bun most of the time, but will do braidouts/WnG if I want to do something different. I assume it will be really hot so bunning might be more practical.

Last edited:

Keen

I agree with the lacefront. If you think you will need a relaxer while you are traveling, lacefront will help you to stretch your relaxer until it is time to come home. Just bring one good bottle of moisturizer.

Ann0804

I think you can do the styles you have been doing. No one needs a ton of products to maintain hair- we just like variety.

You can do buns, braids, twists, twist outs, wigs- the sky is the limit.

fancypants007

I just got back from a cruise and I felt the same way, did not want to be packing a whole lot of products and fooling around with my hair. I purchased 2 wigs. One to wear everyday and one for dressy occassions. It worked out perfectly. I packed my leave in moisturising spray and I bought along my Mizani coconut hair dress. I sprayed my hair and moisturised every evening and then plaited each section. I had 4 braids. When I wore wig, I pinned my braids in a bun, put on my weave cap and then put on my wig. In the evening after moisturising my hair I did the GHE for the 7 days. I got home yesterday and washed and deep conditioned my hair and it looks like my hair thrived during that period. It appears thicker and it seems longer. This is what I did and it's only a suggestion but I was happy with the results. I was still looking cute, but without all the hassle.

Channy31

Thanks for everyones help.. i'm not sure I'm comfortable wearing a lace from but we'll see. How long can weaves last?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Honestly I would not suggest you do anything special to your hair love. Lace fronts and wigs take some work to look realistic-I don't want you traveling around the world looking crazy lol but seriously.

If I remember correctly, your texture is fairly loose. Bring a good amount of your fave leave in and keep it moving. I'd only suggest a good curly cut before you leave so the shape looks nice in a wash n go.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Channy31

I agree with the lacefront. If you think you will need a relaxer while you are traveling, lacefront will help you to stretch your relaxer until it is time to come home. Just bring one good bottle of moisturizer.

I'm natural :)

Channy31

Honestly I would not suggest you do anything special to your hair love. Lace fronts and wigs take some work to look realistic-I don't want you traveling around the world looking crazy lol but seriously.

If I remember correctly, your texture is fairly loose. Bring a good amount of your fave leave in and keep it moving. I'd only suggest a good curly cut before you leave so the shape looks nice in a wash n go.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Good advice thanks

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I would just do a wash-and-go. I am going away in May, and that is what I plan to do. WnG's, buns, side braid. That's it! I am not a fan of wigs/weaves and if I had a wig, I think I'd make it look bad. Though there are good wigs out there, you have to know how to style them properly.

Holla

Pack different hats and scarves. All you need is one bottle of shampoo and conditioner to hold you over until you find a local store with products you can use. You can find coconut/olive oil almost anywhere to seal with. Women wash their hair all over the world so traveling is not a big issue when it comes to basic hair care.

tuffCOOKiE

OP, What kid of traveling will you be doing? Backpacking? Hotel?
Do you know how to braid?

I actually just got back from a bit of travel myself. The good thing was that all the places I visited were warm and my hair loves the warmth.

Take this time to experiment or perfect one style. I took almost no products with me except hair grease (whichever you use) and a light-ish conditioner that you can use for a leave in, a DC or just a rinse out.

I wouldn't do WNG because my hair tangles when I do that. I did a lot of twistouts but I would make my twists neat so that I can wear it as a style.

I did a lot of braided styles as well.

Good Luck Channy31

koolkittychick

I traveled quite a bit when I was younger, and I found what worked best was to learn how to do French braids (two down the sides or one in the back), nice buns, and have a really cute, packable hat (for me, it was my trusty black beret) for days when you just don't want to deal. :lol: That way, all I had to pack were some hair pins, a hair tie or two, and my go to moisturizer. I used whatever shampoo and conditioner was available at my destination, and just made sure my hair was clean, moisturized, and out of my way during my travels. It worked out pretty well for me, and my hair was none the worse for wear. :yep:

overtherainbow

I travel a lot too, and Im usually able to "country hop" with only a carry-on and a purse. The key is to bring multi purpose products and travel sized bottles. Also, know what international brands you like (nivea, loreal, ect). I've also benefited from raiding the kitchen of wherever I'm staying for oils, yogurt, ect, if I'm in a pinch. As for styles, I second getting a good hair cut and relying on WnGs.

OhTall1

Thanks for everyones help.. i'm not sure I'm comfortable wearing a lace from but we'll see. How long can weaves last?
I'm in crochet braids, which is essentially weave, with synthetic hair and it lasts me 5-6 weeks.

sgold04

Channy31 Where will you be traveling and for how long? (Forgive me if you answered this already). I travel A LOT and my styles usually depend on the type of climate I will be in. I don't care for wigs or weaves (I'm style-challenged), so I sometimes wear Senegalese twists in really humid climates.

I'd suggest twisting or braiding your own hair, no hair added, and when you take them out you can wear a twist out/braid out and buns. You won't have to worry about taking them all out at once since it's your own hair (you can hide your hair in a bun) If your hair doesn't knot or tangle much, you can rock wash and go's as well. Some people mentioned this earlier, but bring some nice scarves that you can throw on when your hair is in a ponytail or bun, or out, if you aren't feelin it that day.

In Europe my hair is usually pressed (I usually travel there during spring and summer) and I keep a silk scarf and cute hat in my purse just in case it rains. I went to the Middle East recently and wore a twist out most of the time (I traveled to my destination in chunky twists). In major cities worldwide you will be able to find some type of conditioner.

chickory_bee

I travel quite a bit (Africa, Asia, Europe, Pacific, North America) and I would not personally do a wash and go. In fact, I would do a protective style (weave or twists) for several reasons.

1. I find that the water quality differs so greatly and my hair (I can only speak for my own) often doesn't react as it would.

2. I find that the climate causes my staple products to react differently and in some areas, what used to create the perfect curl, creates utter frizz.

3. Heat, dust, sweat, extreme cold, salt water, all the unpredictable elements...

I love to really enjoy my trips, look effortlessly fabulous in pictures, while protecting my progress. Liquid hair products, trying to make sure they don't spill, get confiscated, trying to keep my hair in good shape...Set up for a set back if I go with 'naked' hair.

OAN, when I have gone with 'naked' hair, I have had the opportunity to try local hair treatments, and other products that I wouldn't be able to if I had my hair put away. I have also had locals braid my hair, and 'touch' my hair as a learning experience for them.

Either way, you'll find what works best for you.

JosieLynn

I appreciate OP making this thread because I was definitely wondering abt the same issues. I'm planning to go to Costa Rica in the summer and didn't have any clue what to do with my hair. So I'm subbing in hope more ppl will share some tips!

Channy31

OP, What kid of traveling will you be doing? Backpacking? Hotel?
Do you know how to braid?

I actually just got back from a bit of travel myself. The good thing was that all the places I visited were warm and my hair loves the warmth.

Take this time to experiment or perfect one style. I took almost no products with me except hair grease (whichever you use) and a light-ish conditioner that you can use for a leave in, a DC or just a rinse out.

I wouldn't do WNG because my hair tangles when I do that. I did a lot of twistouts but I would make my twists neat so that I can wear it as a style.

I did a lot of braided styles as well.

Good Luck Channy31
Erm I'm not too sure atm, it depends on who I go with and money. I can't braid currently but i'm going to try and learn :)

Channy31

Channy31 Where will you be traveling and for how long? (Forgive me if you answered this already). I travel A LOT and my styles usually depend on the type of climate I will be in. I don't care for wigs or weaves (I'm style-challenged), so I sometimes wear Senegalese twists in really humid climates.

I'd suggest twisting or braiding your own hair, no hair added, and when you take them out you can wear a twist out/braid out and buns. You won't have to worry about taking them all out at once since it's your own hair (you can hide your hair in a bun) If your hair doesn't knot or tangle much, you can rock wash and go's as well. Some people mentioned this earlier, but bring some nice scarves that you can throw on when your hair is in a ponytail or bun, or out, if you aren't feelin it that day.

In Europe my hair is usually pressed (I usually travel there during spring and summer) and I keep a silk scarf and cute hat in my purse just in case it rains. I went to the Middle East recently and wore a twist out most of the time (I traveled to my destination in chunky twists). In major cities worldwide you will be able to find some type of conditioner.

I'm thinking of traveling round Europe for 2 weeks (I live in the UK).
But also Australia, Hiji, Indonesia and New Zealand for 6 weeks!

Great advice thanks :)

Channy31

I travel quite a bit (Africa, Asia, Europe, Pacific, North America) and I would not personally do a wash and go. In fact, I would do a protective style (weave or twists) for several reasons.

1. I find that the water quality differs so greatly and my hair (I can only speak for my own) often doesn't react as it would.

2. I find that the climate causes my staple products to react differently and in some areas, what used to create the perfect curl, creates utter frizz.

3. Heat, dust, sweat, extreme cold, salt water, all the unpredictable elements...

I love to really enjoy my trips, look effortlessly fabulous in pictures, while protecting my progress. Liquid hair products, trying to make sure they don't spill, get confiscated, trying to keep my hair in good shape...Set up for a set back if I go with 'naked' hair.

OAN, when I have gone with 'naked' hair, I have had the opportunity to try local hair treatments, and other products that I wouldn't be able to if I had my hair put away. I have also had locals braid my hair, and 'touch' my hair as a learning experience for them.

Either way, you'll find what works best for you.

I agree, I want to look nice in photos.. I'm very tempted by a curly weave but it's been around 5 years since I've had one so i'm slightly worried about getting to my scalp etc.