I really have no idea what to do with my hair (VENT)

glamazon386

Quite frankly I'm tired of hiding it.... I'm tired of wigs... I'm tired of phony ponies... I was tired of weaves so I got braids. Now I want these damn braids out of my head. :mad: I don't know how people go 2-3 months with them. I want them out. They're driving me crazy. But I really have no clue what to do with my hair. It's not really long enough to do anything with yet and I have massive shrinkage. The last time I felt like this all my hair ended up on the bathroom floor. And we're not going there again... :nono: I really have no idea what to do...:( I just felt the need to vent...

Ms Red

Sorry :(

Ok... what about cute headbands and a TWA (aka. TSUPrincess)?

Or... a 1/2 wig? That way at least you could take that sucker off at night and still tend to your hair?

Or... What about flat twists in the front (or small cornrows) and extensions (a.k.a. individuals or just a partial sew-in) for the back??? You could keep that in a while and it is super cute.

Just throwin out ideas before you get dem scissors girl. :look:

BrownSkin2

I know exactly how you feel. I wore kinky twists for 6 weeks recently and it was hard keeping them in. I wore a wash n' go and braid outs for a week or so and got cornrows. I plan to keep those in for three weeks. How about wash n gos and or/ a braid out when you take your twists out. If it was me though, I'd try hard to keep the twists in for at least 6 weeks to get your moneys worth and some good growth...

Nonie

Hey Chicca:

What exactly is driving you mad about your braids? If you can pinpoint what exactly is getting on your nerves, I might be able to help out. But don't take them out yet. Eye on the price...remember? Talk to me.

preciousjewel76

Wow, and this is coming from someone who is so creative with her hairstyles!:eek: :)

Honestly, I think we've all been there, though. I can't really offer any suggestions, because you've already tried braids/weaves/wigs/etc., but maybe you could just rock your TWA? You always look so fierce anyway, would be another great look for you.:D

Malice

I feel your angst to a degree, only because I'm not natural nor am I transitioning but I've had these micros in since 3/2/07 and I'm already starting to feel that itch to take em out and touch-up but I keep reminding myself of how carefree it is, how I can keep my hair moisturized and have easy access to BT my scalp (sorta, my NG is thickening) and do full head baggies at night, it's allowing me to stretch my touch-up 4 1/2 months, and I know it hasn't reached my APL goal so a part of me I know will regret and be disappointed that I took it out sooner than originally planned, because I wanted to see dramatic growth next time I touched-up and had my hair out, at least 2 inches of NG. So hold out, just know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and the longer it is the brighter it'll be.

glamazon386

Nonie said:
Hey Chicca:

What exactly is driving you mad about your braids? If you can pinpoint what exactly is getting on your nerves, I might be able to help out. But don't take them out yet. Eye on the price...remember? Talk to me.

Thanks ladies...IDK I guess it's just too many of them. Everytime I move I feel like somebodys touching me. :look: I hate washing them bc they drip all over the place. It's just too much hair. :ohwell: But I don't want my $200 going down the tubes either. I'll only be at week 3 on thursday.

I got tired of the wigs and half wigs bc I always wanted to take them off when I got in the house. (Plus I've been wearing them since 2002) :ohwell: I always feel like I need to put it back on before I go out bc my hair is all over my head from being mushed under the wig all day. Don't let somebody ring the doorbell - you'll see me just and get the wig on quick fast and in a hurry. I felt like I was becoming a slave to it.

If I wear my hair out I'm gonna have to fight with it in the morning and wash it every few days bc it'll get mushed when I sleep on it. I'm already late enough in the morning with my roll out of bed and do nothing hairdos. I really don't know what to do. :cry3:

Last edited:

Bosslady1

bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks ladies...IDK I guess it's just too many of them. Everytime I move I feel like somebodys touching me. :look: I hate washing them bc they drip all over the place. It's just too much hair. :ohwell: But I don't want my $200 going down the tubes either. I'll only be at week 3 on thursday.

I got tired of the wigs and half wigs bc I always wanted to take them off when I got in the house. (Plus I've been wearing them since 2002) :ohwell: I always feel like I need to put it back on before I go out bc my hair is all over my head from being mushed under the wig all day. Don't let somebody ring the doorbell - you'll see me just and get the wig on quick fast and in a hurry. I felt like I was becoming a slave to it.

If I wear my hair out I'm gonna have to fight with it in the morning and wash it every few days bc it'll get mushed when I sleep on it. I'm already late enough in the morning with my roll out of bed and do nothing hairdos. I really don't know what to do. :cry3:

awwww...don't worry I hope your frustration passes soon! I got my hair braided after a two week hiatus and I already feel left out! I saw a girl pass with really gorgeous BSL hair on my lunch break and I thought to myself...hmmm...I AM STUCK IN BRAIDS!

Sometimes it bees like dat!:lol: :look:

ayoung

BMore, ur phoney pony puff was CRAZY!! maybe rock that for a break and u can change it up with headbands, scarves tied diff. ways, snoods etc....

Oh, comb coils are cute too!

Nonie

bmoreflyygirl said:

Aww (((Bmoreflyygirl))), I sorta understand how you feel. And yes that dripping all over the place is no fun. What about wrapping a towel as a turban. I do that to get most of the water out, then I always cornrow it so it's out of the way and that way I don't have to deal with wet hair down my back. Besides you have got to get used to mid-back length hair now, coz what will you do when you get there? ;) Also you can put them all in a braid at the back and form a bun so they're out of the way.

What about two braided buns like this:

Are your braids heavy? Maybe using less hair next time? I used less hair than I've ever used for braids this time and while I did stop and wonder whether I was mad to be wearing extensions as the weather got hotter, I am glad I used less hair coz it's lighter and doesn't feel as warm as I thought it might initially.

Tell you what, go to crown and glory and see the success stories of folks there, or just stalk Den1's album and see what "hiding" her hair did for her. Check out Adrienne's album too and see what patience w/ braids did for her. There was once a long post about a lady who bunned for a whole year and finally got to enjoy the fruits of her efforts. B, hang in there. It will be well worth it.

Before you do anything, PM me so I can preach to you some more. :lol:

glamazon386

Nonie said:
Aww (((Bmoreflyygirl))), I sorta understand how you feel. And yes that dripping all over the place is no fun. What about wrapping a towel as a turban. I do that to get most of the water out, then I always cornrow it so it's out of the way and that way I don't have to deal with wet hair down my back. Besides you have got to get used to mid-back length hair now, coz what will you do when you get there? ;) Also you can put them all in a braid at the back and form a bun so they're out of the way.

What about two braided buns like this:

Are your braids heavy? Maybe using less hair next time? I used less hair than I've ever used for braids this time and while I did stop and wonder whether I was mad to be wearing extensions as the weather got hotter, I am glad I used less hair coz it's lighter and doesn't feel as warm as I thought it might initially.

Tell you what, go to crown and glory and see the success stories of folks there, or just stalk Den1's album and see what "hiding" her hair did for her. Check out Adrienne's album too and see what patience w/ braids did for her. There was once a long post about a lady who bunned for a whole year and finally got to enjoy the fruits of her efforts. B, hang in there. It will be well worth it.

Before you do anything, PM me so I can preach to you some more. :lol:

Thanks Nonie! Believe it or not, they're not heavy at all until they get wet. As far as midback length hair goes, to be honest I don't want hair that long like many of the ladies on this board. APL is long enough for me. :ohwell: I feel like I've been hiding my hair forever. But I know if I take it out, I'm not gonna make any progress because I'm going to be constantly manipulating it.

Miss*Tress

bmoreflyygirl said:
But I don't want my $200 going down the tubes either.
:eek: I never knew how expensive braids could be. I'd rather be bored with my hair and $200 richer!

(Forgive me for not being much help with your plight.)

glamazon386

Miss*Tress said:
:eek: I never knew how expensive braids could be. I'd rather be bored with my hair and $200 richer!

(Forgive me for not being much help with your plight.)

LOL it's okay misstress. Yeah, they're expensive. :lol:

CurleeDST

Perhaps you can take the braids out and 2-strand twist it or wear headbands pushing the hair back in a high puff until it grows longer.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Quite frankly I'm tired of hiding it.... I'm tired of wigs... I'm tired of phony ponies... I was tired of weaves so I got braids. Now I want these damn braids out of my head. :mad: I don't know how people go 2-3 months with them. I want them out. They're driving me crazy. But I really have no clue what to do with my hair. It's not really long enough to do anything with yet and I have massive shrinkage. The last time I felt like this all my hair ended up on the bathroom floor. And we're not going there again... :nono: I really have no idea what to do...:( I just felt the need to vent...

sowhut

I hate that feeling!! But like someone mentioned earlier we all have been there b4. Youre probably just thinking about your hair too much. I think that you should just tough it out. Its easier said than done (trust me i know). I transitioned for a year with braids and a bun being my only 2 styles for the year and it SUCKED! But i tried not to think about my hair at all until wash/rebraid time and reminded myself of my goal. Its miserable getting from Point A to Point B but it feels so good when you accomplish your goals.

baby42

i know how you feel i am in the same spot:mad: i thought i could take these braids out for the summmer and wear a short roll set then my temples came out:eek: so i have to braid or wear a weave all summer:( but i made up my mind that next year i will be ready with longer hair:) so hang in there good luck:) i hve wore braids for years and when i took out the braids i didnt know how to care for it and cut it all off last summer:confused: then i found lhcf:perplexed so now i know what to do still learnig but i know no more cutting:lol: :lol:

glamazon386

Thanks ladies for your suggestions. I think I'm gonna let my hair breathe a little bit once I take these braids out. I'm gonna try and stick out for another 2-3 weeks. Then maybe some 2 strand twists or something...

LynnieB

bmoreflyygirl said:

bmore, you can rock the heck out of some coils:

http://motowngirl.com/comb_coils.php

the famous roshini:

http://www.roshini.net/journal/1999/1999_4.html

found this in case you don't wanna do 'em free hand:

http://www.americancomb.com/products/coil.html

----------------

not sure how long you're gonna hang with the twists/braids but you've got a few things to try when you come out of them ;)

smuice

I am doing or trying to do the crown and glory thing till next year December, I say just keep your eye on your goal and focus on something else apart from your hair, like working out or just anything to keep your mind off them braids! Good luck, You are not alone!!

Random pic: of the shrinkage!:lol: Braids help me from shearing my head clean!

Blackoutzangel05

bmoreflyygirl....you are gorgeous and very creative so I know that you are going to find something that works for your hair. I believe that if you want to rock your hair that maybe at night you should watch your favorite show and then twist it up while doing so and moisturize and seal and in the morning rock a twist out. Or flat twist/2 strand twist the front and rock a back twist out. I sorta of feeling you because when my hair is natural the only thing that I can do with it is wear a puff because the crown felt like steel wool (when I went natural before) and I didn't know how to care for it. I say experiment but give yourself "x" amount of minutes in the morning and see what you can come up with. Headbands, scarfs, etc are naturals best friends!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've been feeling like this lately too...I really don't know what to do with my hair either. I've been wearing chunky twistouts and sometimes wash n go puffs but I want to style my hair in a way that I don't have to fool with it. I could very well keep my hair in twists, but when it comes that time to wash and retwist, I don't feel like doing it! Lol!
While I do not wear wigs or fake hair, I'm fed up with doing so many different styles. Natural hair is fun to play with, but I wish I can just stick to one style so I can leave my hair alone.

glamazon386

bravenewgirl87 said:
I was just about to post a thread about the same thing!!! Get Outta My Head!

:lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one. Now if I can just get one ponytail. I'd wash and go for the whole summer. :ohwell: GROW HAIR GROW!! :mad:

Incredible1ne

Bmore, I feel the same way. I was even considering cutting it all off again or relaxing...I just had my mom cornrow it (no extensions) and hope it will pass. Maybe if my hair was long enough to fit into a ponytail I wouldn't feel this way but right now I'm extremely frusturated with my hair.

SSBD

bmoreflyygirl said:

Bmore i understand you. i got tired of wearing weave, wigs, falls and all that stuff so i got the courage to rock my twa...When i had braids i wanted to get them out so bad because i was just tried of looking at them...now i want some more braids really bad because im tired of looking at my twa.

I know that my problem is i cannot have a hairstyle to long. i like to change it up and lately i have been keeping the same thing and it is driving me mad:mad: . I know in the long run my hair will think me, but it is so hard right now.

all ima say is don't do not cut aything and just endure it for a little while longer, because before u know it ur hair will have grown and u can do something else to it. i know i look at a lot of naturals albums to see what kind of hairs styles i will rock when my hair gets longer. Shoot i still can wait til i can get this hair into a ponytail. Anyway way don't you try french braids for awhile because u can have all kind of styles and it all comes down every two weeks. i've had so many hairstyles with french braids and i don't really get bored until i feel the need to have straight hair.

Anyway another hard thing is now i only think of styles i can wear that i can protect my hair under, so that leaves out some options, but we can get through this. Just know with a little patience you will have enough hair to do whatever u want. And when i first started wearin my twa it felt so good to wear my natural hair, (but now i just want another hairstyle) and your hair will thank you for letting it come out....

Bublin

Girl
I can understand too....for a whole year i wore wash n go's then i decided to be patient and do individual natural twists. They look great but like someone else said, it takes 5-6 hours to wash, condition and re-twist. This does not include me undoing the twists the night before, washing and leaving the conditioner in overnight.

I'm now bored with my twists....apart from braids i've never worn false hair. I'm now tempted to try half wigs or falls. I wondering how you conceal the front - with a hair band?

One thing i do know...i will never ever relax my hair again.....i'm just praying for hair long enough to go into a ponytail..........

glamazon386

Bublin said:
Girl
I can understand too....for a whole year i wore wash n go's then i decided to be patient and do individual natural twists. They look great but like someone else said, it takes 5-6 hours to wash, condition and re-twist. This does not include me undoing the twists the night before, washing and leaving the conditioner in overnight.

I'm now bored with my twists....apart from braids i've never worn false hair. I'm now tempted to try half wigs or falls. I wondering how you conceal the front - with a hair band?

One thing i do know...i will never ever relax my hair again.....i'm just praying for hair long enough to go into a ponytail..........

Since I've gone natural, I just tie a scarf around the edges like a headbandn when I wear a straight hair fall. Nobody can tell.

ETA: Hmm... maybe that's what I'll do. Get a bone straight fall. :scratchch I guess I'll figure it out eventually. I was supposed to get a straight hair weave for my bday in March but saw some curly hair on display in the BSS and changed my mind at the last minute.

Nonie

@ Poohbear and Bublin:

Why do you have to untwist your hair to wash? Why not wash it with the twists in, condition with twists in, rinse with twists in...and airdry w/ twists in. That's what I used to do and it made having twists such a fun experience. Hair was so soft and since I'd let it drip dry then air dry (towel around shoulders) the twists would hang down the way I liked. When watching TV, I'd untwist and retwist one at a time (just like I used to touch up braids) starting with the ones that show (top-most ones). I didn't need to use a comb because the clean twists just unraveled easily if I used my fingers and started to untwist from the base separating strands as I went along.

Here's a pic of my twists after a wash:

In this updo, I had just retwisted the twists in the back, that's why they show less shrinkage (so as you can see, there are styles you can do while you slooooowly get through to retwisting, so you don't have to feel overwhelmed at the thought of redoing them all at once):

And if you are bored with wearing twists, after washing your hair with twists and letting it air dry, you can undo them all and rock a more perfectly defined twist-out than the sort you'd get if you twisted damp hair and let it air dry.

Washing hair in twists is the only way I ever washed my hair and it made wash day such a joy!

Ayeshia

I had the style hump too. But I just sucked it up and dealt with the headband for 6 months. Im not to creative to try styles and I had no money to do anything else, so I had no choice :lol:

preciousjewel76

That's a really pretty style, Nonie!

Nonie said:
Here's a pic of my twists after a wash:

In this updo, I had just retwisted the twists in the back, that's why they show less shrinkage (so as you can see, there are styles you can do while you slooooowly get through to retwisting, so you don't have to feel overwhelmed at the thought of redoing them all at once):

And if you are bored with wearing twists, after washing your hair with twists and letting it air dry, you can undo them all and rock a more perfectly defined twist-out than the sort you'd get if you twisted damp hair and let it air dry.

Washing hair in twists is the only way I ever washed my hair and it made wash day such a joy!