What to do with new growth (??)

ashiah

(I'm a newbie, btw...)

I'm 15 weeks post relaxer and I'm worried over how I'm going to prepare this hair for a relaxer. I can't get a comb through it, there are knots in it....I'm sure if I put a relaxer in it, the constant tugging and pulling will just burn me up.

I've been morturizing the ng and co-washing, but that's about it. After week 7, I realized it was best to just leave the ng alone.

So, stretchers, what have you done to untangle your new growth and prepare it for a relaxer?

maryj1584

The three best things for me are
1. Elucence Moisture Balancing Condtioioner(I get it from here http://www.pleasantimage.com)
2. Wild Growth Oil (I get it from sallys)
3. Jiberie Shower comb. (also get it from sallys)

I wash my hair in 8-10 sections and glob tons of Elucence on it and then detangle slowly in sections, it makes my new growth very managable and the slip is crazy. I use my shower comb to glide thorugh and then I rebraid each section and then rinse and use a little( EMB) as a leave in. I then detagle again slowly and put some wild growth oil on the NG. Then rollerset and flat iron the NG only. I hope this helps bc this has really made streaching easier for me.

ashiah

Thanks for the suggestion. Now I know why people transition. I'm kind of afraid to go back to relaxers. :lol:

*Happily Me*

Welcome Ashiah :wave:

Keep your hair moisturized. I like Lekair for detangling.

If you want your new growth to lay flat, tie a scarf on while air drying. This works wonders for me.

:)

ashiah

Yeah, I'm already on the scarf method, which works like a charm. But my new growth is still extremely thick and tangled. I guess I'm mostly worried about my stylist. For a while I used to think I could trust her. She was the first stylist I ever had to actually care about the health of the hair. She was the first stylist to put protein on my hair and argue about health over "style." She was even proud when I told her I was learning about hair care from hair boards (most stylists would be pissed).

But since learning more and more about hair care, I realized something. She overlaps relaxers - BIG TIME! Not only does she go through the hair with a tiny comb, she then runs her hands and smooths relaxer over the entire head, excluding whatever hair that hangs from the neck and below.

Not only that, but she also seems to apply the relaxer slowly and is overall rough with the hair. I'm not sure what she'll do with 2+ inches of new growth. :eek:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
You are right.. the best thing to do is to leave your hair alone during this time of stretching! Back when I was relaxed, I would do the following to deal with new growth:

1. Moisturize my hair with S-Curl No Drip Activator Moisturizer (I have all used oil moisturizers such as Motions, ElastaQP Recovery, and Pantene)
2. Leave my hair in a bun, curly rollerset, or braidout so that I would not have to worry about combing it and to blend the two different textures
3. Detangle/comb only when my hair was wet
4. If my hair started to look/feel dry in a bun, I would co-wash or rinse my hair in the shower
5. If I wore a rollerset or braidout, I would wash & condition once a week

HTH!

atlien11

I just had this problem after 11 weeks on NG and getting a touch-up this past saturday. This is what i did: I washed and had a good detangling session about 3 days before my relaxer and i did a rollerset. When i got to the sylists chair i took my bone comb and detangled the curls w/o manipulating my scalp. My roots were still manageable from washing it 3 days ago. It worked out well and i didnt hear any NG popping when she applied the relaxer.
I contemplated blowdrying the NG straight so that the stylist could manage the NG but i was afraid she wouldnt see it and overlap. Goodluck :D