What type of regimen would you recommend for me?

yokoyokogirl

Sorry if this is a dumb question ladies, but I'm just wondering what type of daily or weekly regimen you experts would recommend for me.

From my previous post, most of you said my hair looks like a 3b/3c.
I love straight long hair, so my goal is to get from shoulder skimming to below bra length (one day)--sorry if that's the wrong way to describe it.
I currently use Kerastase Oleo Relax and Aveda products, but am willing to change if something's better.

I wash my hair maybe every two weeks, but it seems that most of wash more often--or "co-washing", which is conditioner only washing?
I'm kinda at a loss of what to do, but I would like growth and an easier regimen to getting my hair flat and straight. Currently, it takes 2-3+hrs to wash, airdry, blowdry, flat iron, if I don't let it airdry overnight.
Any advice **and corrections** would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

jamaraa

If those are working for you to your satisfaction, stick w/ them. If you want a change or to try new things, you said your mother has access to Dominican products...that's a place to look.

yokoyokogirl

Thanks! I'm clueless when it comes to hair...so I'm soaking up all the info on this board. I seriously have been up til like 4 or 5am reading all the past posts, but some of it is confusing for me as a newbie.

My mom goes to a Dominican salon. She's always pressed, never permed, always colored. She said they get funny if you ask about products...but my Dad's family is half Creole and Mexican. My Dad's bald but my cousin's all use Salerm and some other Dominican stuff..their hair is totally diff from mine. Same curls but texture is very....white? (sorry if that's the wrong way to describe it...their hair feels more barbie doll-ish than my hair)

ajoyfuljoy

It took me months to figure out my regimen and I'm still tweaking it. Don't overwhelm yourself is my suggestion. Just start learning one thing at a time. Everyone has a different reggie something that works for them and what you have going right now sounds good.

Maybe just pick one area you want to tweak/change and go from there

ebonimama

If you like to wear your hair straight then I don't recommemd co-washing.

I agree. The key is to keep your hair properly moisture/protein balanced. If you are natural you need less protein. If you are relaxed you need more protein. I use protective styles 99% of the time, so I can cowash once a week and co wash and deep condition once a week. I never use a protein without using a moisturizer. Tell us more about your hair maye we can help you a little better.

yokoyokogirl

Hey sorry for my lack of info...

I have one flat-ironed pic and one natural, streaight out of the shower pic on my Fotki.

I have never had any chemicals in my hair other than dye. Now I wash, airdry, blowdry, then flat iron--maybe every 2 weeks. I almost never wear my hair curly, cause I feel like my head looks really big then.

My hair never gets super flat or straight as the salon does it. And my Dominican salon back home in the USA gets it super nice w/ only a roller set and blowdry--no idea how. I don't really use many products..and never deep cond. (that's a big problem, I plan to change asap) If I go to the salon, maybe one every 2 months, they deep condition.

I use Kerastase products, from the Oleo Relax line: http://www.kerastase-usa.com/Shop_By_Category/index-cleanse_and_shampoo.htm

Hummm..I think my hair's a 3b/c, according to some of the ladies on this site.
Let me know if I can give you any more info and thanks again for the help!!

sowhut

Well what i did was find a member(s) with similiar hair to mine and followed what they did. You may have to tweak it a little here and there but it worked for me .
anyway...

That baby in your avatar is soooooooo CUTE!