What was your hair regimen before LHCF

Nichi, you've made incredible progress! You gots ta share...share with us. :look:

I had two pre-LHCF regimens. I had the pre-LHCF, pre-high-school regimen and it was:
1. Relax every 4-6 weeks, applying relaxer from root to tip and leaving it until my scalp was about ready to slide off my head. Then, sit in front of a fan, and leave it even longer. Gets it extra straight. :nono:
2. Wash with random CoN shampoo whenever I would scratch my scalp and see dirt under my fingernails. :nono: :barf:
3. No conditioner...conditioner is for white people. :nono:
4. Blow dry on high, using pink oil to moisturize every ten minutes or so.
5. Put that blue magic pressing grease all over my head and then curl my hair with my curling iron. Also on high. It had a steam feature, so I'd use that to moisturize. When my hair sizzled, my heart used to sing. :hair:
6. Curl my hair that way about 4-5 times a week.
7. When not curling, force my hair into the "flame" ponytail with bobby pins, brown gel and Fantasia IC gel (with hair "lites") and pink oil.
8. No silk scarf...scarves are for old people, like my mom. Who incidentally had BSL hair. But did I make that connection? Noooo. :rolleyes:

And then when I started high school, I started another regimen, which was:
1. Get micro-braids.
2. Grease scalp with doo-gro grease about once a week.
3. Spray braids with African Pride braid spray about twice a week.
4. Very very very rarely wash my braids. It ruins the style.
5. Keep braids in as long as possible, usually for three-four months.
6. Take braids down, relax my hair the same day (makes the hair grow faster), wait for the burns to subside, and then braid it up again.

With the first reggie, I was a damaged and busted ear length, and with the second, I made it to shoulder and stopped. Thank God for LHCF.

:lachen: at no.1 - I use to do that too! thinking that the relaxer always "WASHED OUT !":nono::wallbash:

It was about the same as what I do now.

Natural hair before hair boards:

Shampoo & deep condition once a week
Style (keep in for entire week, usually a press)
Oil scalp every night

Relaxed hair before hair boards:

Shampoo & deep condition once a week
Flat iron once a week
Grease before wrapping every night

Regimen? What regimen?

Kidding!
I was BAD! I used to relax my hair whenever my mom thought my hair looked "ready"
I used to wash every 2 weeks. I did not moisturize regularly! No Deep Conditioning or protein treatments. How I had any hair on my head is anyone's guess! lol! :)

Microbraids for 2.5-4 months. Wash.:barf: Microbraids for 2.5-4 months the very next day. Every once and a while there would be a relaxer after the wash.

-no DCing
-no protein treatments
-no hot oil treatments
-no trimming
-lots of blue magic :lachen:

Yikes!

I've been natural since junior high but it's been a few iterations.

Lets see in junior high I would wear my hair half up, half down and curling iron the down part. After washing my hair I blow dried it with a comb attachment.

In high school I would slick my hair back with water and hard gels (somehow my hairline didn't get punished for a while) though I wore "protective styles."

I would wash my hair every 2-4 weeks and never used conditioner.

For a while I did wear twists and but moisturized with Always Indian Hemp.

Detangling my hair meant combing it BEFORE washing it, dry, with one of those afro picks. We're talking clumps of hair. Then after washing I would comb out my curls because I thought I had to. Sometimes would twist my hair. I never wore my hair OUT without twisting it until LHCF. When I tried before I didn't use gel so it was dry, shrunken situation.

A few years ago I discovered the Dominican Blow Out and would do that every 2-4 weeks.

I NEVER trimmed before LHCF except for snipping off here and there with REGULAR SCISSORS when I felt like it. Then when I did trim professionally, I let them do it every month thus cutting off progress.

NEVER slept with a satin pillowcase, scarf, or bonnet.

Never moisturized my ends unless I was doing twists or after washing. My moisturizers of choice were Always Indian Hemp (thought it was the bomb!), Vitapointe, or that "coconut oil" that is mostly mineral oil.

Almost never deep conditioned and if I did it was with some crappy VO5 Hot Oil.

My hair was always about an inch past the shoulders and I thought that was long as it could get.

Oh I was SO bad....I usually shampooed anywhere between 7 to 14 days, did not use moisturizing shampoos, only used instant condish, did NOT deep condition. Did not even know the difference between protein or moisture, much less when my hair needed what. After each shampoo I blow- fried my hair dry and didn't even catch on that I had split hairs all over my bathroom sink but proceeded straight to the flat iron or curling iron to style. Each night I either wrapped my hair or slept on *gasp* velcro rollers. When I removed those rollers there was often more hair in the roller than on my head! LOL...sometimes I would flatiron/ curl with the curling iron til the next wash.
When my hair began to look and feel like straw I would oil my scalp w/ Doo Gro then brush it to distribute through hair. After years of doing this, the longest my hair ever saw was flirting with SL. I mostly hovered around NL. Knowledge and LHCF is power! I am reformed and under control now. I am a slow grower anyway but with prayer, loads of time, patience, and good hair care practices I will see APL for the first time in my life!!

I relaxed every 8 weeks (only because my "ceramic" Flat Iron would pull me through that last 2 weeks)... I switched back and forth between Vitale (lye) relaxer and Dark and Lovely (no-lye) relaxer. I'm shocked I still had hair on my head!!!

I wash every 1-2 weeks with CON Green label or Motions products

I flat ironed my dirty hair whenever I felt like it.

I never moistuized

I didn't know anything about a protein/moisture balance... I just used whatever conditioner gave me slip.

I wore my hair out every day.

I wrapped it in the same direction every night.

I used ORS Oil Sheen religiously (I still have the last can I purchased over 2 years ago).

I almost NEVER wore a hat (and ALWAYS wore a wool coat)... and I live in CHICAGO!

:lachen::lachen:

This thread is hilarious but tragic at the same time.

It's embarassing to admit that most of the time I only washed my hair every 4 weeks, and then I wondered why my head was full of dry scalp. I only went to my stylist to wash my hair but I always got a steam treatment then.

In between washes I would 'moisturise' with Lusters, oh and Perm Repair (what an oxymoron). :rolleyes: I would happily singe the grease into my hair every day with my curling iron trying to do a hair style that wasn't all that anyway. :perplexed

I wasn't too bad with relaxers, I touched up from 8-10 weeks. When I was younger I did it every three months - go figure. :perplexed

I never wore a scarf to bed ever, then I wondered why my hair was always so difficult to deal with the next day, in it's wild state.

I used to give myself a do-it-yourself facelift everyday. I used to pull my hair into a ponytail that was so tight that it started to break the side of my hair.

A few months before I found LHCF I started to get tired with my poor hair practices. I stepped up my steaming DC's with my stylists, started going every week and got a good hair cut.

I was relaxed and back then I had a consistent regimen...still working on a natural one.

Relax with Just for Me about every 8 weeks.
Shampoo and condition weekly with Pantene products.
DC every other week with Queen Helene Cholesterol.
After washing I would blowdry and flat iron, with Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum.
Apply Pink Light oil moisturizer and IC Fantasia PM night oils.
Pin curl and put on a scarf for bed.
I wore my hair down to work but pinned it up on the way home and bunned on the weekends.
I also did dark rinses occasionally b/c I have auburn/dusty brown hair.

My hair did alright, but there is always room for improvement.

Not very good.
Relaxed my hair every 6/8 weeks;
Never apply any moisturizer nor regular conditioner to hair;
Got my hair blow dried on every visit to beautician;
Having a beautician do my hair in the first place;
Got the hell burnt out of him on every relaxer.

Once I started stretching (16 wks) and using Phyto my hair started to strive. No more burns and since my hair is relatively fine when it's relaxed, getting a touch-up every 6 weeks was very damaging. Right now my hair grows just fine and if it wasn't for my carelessness (left relaxer in too long) I would have more hair on my head right now. But what are you going to do, que sera, sera

I had the worst regimen of all time:

-Relax every 4 weeks....bone straight every time
-Wash every 4 weeks (usually when the relaxer was done)
-Flat iron daily with no heat protectant
-Oil sheen= moisture
-Wrapped nightly and slept with a satin scarf

....that regimen got me shoulder length hair with a broken off crown...

In high school, my regimen was slightly better
-Relaxed whenever my mom remembered to get the relaxer ( read: every 4-6 months)
-Washed weekly (either out of boredom or because I was a cheerleader and I was washing all that crap out of my hair)
-Used conditioner but didn't deep condition
-Blow dry with comb attachment on high heat
-Curled hair using curling iron daily but used the Thermasilk heat protectant
-Luster's Pink Lotion= moisture (I dunno why I thought that. Mom used that mess faithfully in my hair when I was a little girl and my hair was always bone dry).
-Got too hot outside? Kept my hair in cornrows.
-Slept with a scarf...not necessarily satin.

...I had thick shoulder length hair. I cut it my senior year, and it grew back fairly quickly. By the time I started college, everyone thought I had "long" hair.

:lachen:Um yea you would have to ask my hair dresser. The only instructions I would give her is put some heat on my head :ohwell:

Middle school till college:
Gold n Hot on a daily basis for 6-7th grade with tons of spritz. Ignoring the fact that my hair was burning off and stunk due to it.

Perm repair cream all day every day

NEVER Deep condition.... or even use conditioner at all. Only shampoo, random ones at that.

Relaxed my hair EVERY 6 weeks like clockwork and maybe wash in between once or twice.

Use some sort of grease. Usually with the words miracle, do grow or some thing that would magically make my hair grow instantly. *not at all*

While in college/employed:

Dominicans every week sometimes twice a week and blowouts almost every single time. This created broken off edges. the rest of my hair would be like 7 inches or so but my edges would be lucky to be an inch.

relaxer every 8 weeks with MAJOR "trims" for all my split ends.

Last edited:
I don't even know if you could call what mines was a regimen. :/

I basically did nothing. I'd wake up brush into a puff at the back of my head and that's it. Put nothing on it and it did get pretty dry. I used grease to keep it down but, yeah, that's all.

I got my first relaxer at 8 years old. When I graduated from middle school I began to going to my current stylist for a wash and set every two weeks and then a relaxer after the 8 week mark. My hair was full but stayed at my shoulders. Then I went away to college and had to start taking care of my hair on my own:nono:. That's when I began "stretching" my relaxers because I refused to let anyone else handle my touch ups. I would Shampoo and Condition every two or three weeks (whenever I got around to it) with Elasta qp stimulating shampoo and conditioner which works sorta like a clarifier. haha and I couldn't figure out why my hair was so dry:perplexed. I used elasta qp mango butter for my edges and nape. Then I think a leave in/heat protectant occasionally. I always wore a satin scarf though. My mom had me doing that since I was 8 or 9 I believe.

Last edited:
Well since im new here and it wasnt that long ago
I use to just roller set every 2 weeks with a treatment
perm every 5 -7 weeks if i could sneak it past my healthy hair stylist and a little greasebut was pretty lazy with that

what regimen??

you mean burn daily with flat iorn... wash, never condition, randomly relax ,and wonder why my hair wouldnt grow past SL

Although I am brand spanking new to the forum, I’ve learned quite a lot during my short time here thanks to that wonderful search engine in the upper right hand corner. However, I feel that my hair was healthier and more manageable before my so-called acceptance of my natural wave/curl pattern, where I stopped trying to straighten my hair and began to wear what you guys call wash-n-gos 365 days a year. And, even though I get compliments on my hair, I still do NOT LIKE IT. I feel that my hair was better when I was trying to straighten it than it is now. It was also much longer (it fell below my bra strap) and I believe that I took better care of it back then. My hair routine from 10th grade until approximately 10 years ago was simple:

Shampoo and condition with Salon Selectives
A large tub of Wella for deep conditioning in between
Towel dry, section hair into quarters
Apply Luster’s Pink Lotion to each section
Blow dry using a comb attachment.
Put hair in a ponytail while it was still hot and fresh to “set” the straightening
Add more Pink Lotion to my edges and ends
Wrap the ends around the ponytail and secure it with a few large bobby pins

Every day, twice a day I used Pink Lotion on my hair – a dab in the morning during styling and some more at night when I put my hair into a bun in the evening. I washed my hair like once a month (gross, I know) and trimmed every two months like clockwork. My hair was a little thinner, but grew like a weed with this routine. Plus, I didn’t know what a flat iron was back then, and since my hair refuses to hold curls, I didn’t use a curling iron either. My hair styles consisted of either a really “swanging” ponytail, a ponytail on top with the back loose, or with it all loose held back with a headband. When it got near wash time, I would braid my hair into about 8 braids after applying Pink Lotion to each section, put one of those pink granny curlers on the very ends of the braids, then take the braids out in the morning, fluff the hair to hide the parts, and slap a headband on. I’ve since learned that those dirty braids are called braid-outs. LOL

It wasn’t until I got tired of being tortured in Dominican salons that I began to wash-n-go.

Nichi, you've made incredible progress! You gots ta share...share with us. :look:

I had two pre-LHCF regimens. I had the pre-LHCF, pre-high-school regimen and it was:
1. Relax every 4-6 weeks, applying relaxer from root to tip and leaving it until my scalp was about ready to slide off my head. Then, sit in front of a fan, and leave it even longer. Gets it extra straight. :nono:
2. Wash with random CoN shampoo whenever I would scratch my scalp and see dirt under my fingernails. :nono: :barf:
3. No conditioner...conditioner is for white people. :nono:
4. Blow dry on high, using pink oil to moisturize every ten minutes or so.
5. Put that blue magic pressing grease all over my head and then curl my hair with my curling iron. Also on high. It had a steam feature, so I'd use that to moisturize. When my hair sizzled, my heart used to sing. :hair:
6. Curl my hair that way about 4-5 times a week.
7. When not curling, force my hair into the "flame" ponytail with bobby pins, brown gel and Fantasia IC gel (with hair "lites") and pink oil.
8. No silk scarf...scarves are for old people, like my mom. Who incidentally had BSL hair. But did I make that connection? Noooo. :rolleyes:

I am noticing this trend amongst our pre lhcf regimens... Lots of relaxing from root to tip, and lots of relaxing every 4 weeks.....:shocked:

Personally i was a relax from root to tip every time... and when it started to burn. that's when it was really working.:rolleyes:

This past relaxer, my sister asked me to relax her hair from root to tip.... She explained that you have to to get all the naps out...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let's see... There was Wash every 2 weeks.. followed by a relaxer almost every 4 weeks...and who used a moisturizer? ......

Before, my mom had a regimen for me and my hair thrived (she was a beautician). Then when I got my hands into my own hair, it was chaos.

Let's see....I used a lot of heat, glue in weaves, not moisturizing...it was TERRIBLE. :nono:

i washed and condtioned once a week, not a DC but just a plain rinse out conditioner. (Pantene Relaxed and Natural)

The i would either wet wrap and go to sleep, wake up and flat iron, or if i had some place to be i would blow dry and flat iron.

my moisturizer was Pink Lotion, and i never even thought about a heat protectant, although i diid discover Chi and love it because it smelled so good. (kinda like my BOyfriend)

I sometimes slept with a scarf most times i didn't, and i usually flat ironed again during if i was going out or if my hair started to frizz.

if not flat ironing, then a glue in weave that i would rip out because the glue always always always irritated my scalp( why did i keep going back?)

i did however try to stretch my relaxers ONLY because of my sensitive scalp, and since i left them on wayyy to long and applied it root to tip it didn't really matter that i stretched, because inevitably my hair would start breaking off and i would have to get a hair cut, much like my JUly pic in my siggy.

I'm shocked i have any hair left.

Last edited:
I didn't have any clue how to do my hair when i was a teen so from the age of 16 up until last year I constantly wore braids, as soon as i took them out i would (sometimes) wash my hair, or sometimes i would perm my hair and put them right back in. I maybe washed once every two months or so. When i turned 24 I decided to wear my hair out and went to the salon and they cut my hair from SL to EL! I was so upset I decided never to perm again and I just stuck to braids until I was about 30. When I took the braids down to wear my hair out by this time a was a almost BSL. LOVING my legnth I permed again and would flat iron naked hair...needless to say I never knew how to do hair until finding LHCF earlier this year. I still dont know how to do twists, cornrows, decent braidouts etc, but im learning ..... slowly lol.

Gurrrl, what regimen? I did whatever I had to time to do. That did include, washing every 2 weeks, relaxing at the sight of new growth (4-6) weeks and flatironing with curl wax.

Going to the shop every two weeks. I NEVER did my own hair. Thankfully, my stylist is good and took decent care of my hair, and we had been stretching my relaxers/texlaxers for years. But moisture? Ha. That's funny.

I'm much better now, and I only go to the salon for touch ups.

Back