What's Do You Like About Your Denomination?

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
What are its strengths?

A former professor/mentor of mine, also a Christian theologian, wrote of Christian denominations like different parts of Christ's Body that bring gifts and traditions and perspectives to the table that the whole of the Body really needs.

We aren't supposed to have factions among us, and no denominational title should ever be used to separate us from other believers. But we can acknowledge their different strengths to learn from them.

So, what's good in yours?

ETA: Sorry about the title! I changed the sentence mid-way through. We really need to be able to edit those...

Last edited:

PaperClip

I grew up in the COGIC church. My mother's side has COGIC roots. So the song says "you cannot join in, you got to be born in it!":lachen:

Anywhoo: I appreciated how I had to werar my clothes a certain way, meaning if I wore pants (which we weren't really supposed to but my mom allowed me to growing up), they couldn't be tight. When it was time for me to wear makeup, I could wear it but modestly. Learning to carry myself as a proper young woman should.

I also appreciate the sense of community, esp. around going to Memphis (I never went to a convention but my uncles have done so) or even back home, people from various COGIC churches knew each other. So if you came across somebody at school or work and got to talking, and if church came up and you said you went to so-and-so's church, they would respond and it wouldn't be long before the degrees of separation got closer. Community is very important to me.

My current church would label itself non-denominational.

Ramya

I'm nondenominational and what I like about it is that there are no doctrines in place that are not laws/principles in the bible. There's order and accountability. There are no elders, deacons ect. We have a pastor, and various ministers. There's a real focus on spiritual growth, maturity and equipment. :yep:

Caramela

I am a Christian. I am not affiliated with a denomination because the bible speaks against that. What I love about my congregation and the other congregations that abide by the true docrtrine of the bible is that the bible is used for the teaching and spiritual growth of it's flock. There is a strong sense of family, and a lot of effort is put into the home, children and husbands and wives. Also I like the fact that the leadership of the congregation isn't pedastal'd above others.
And the most important thing to me is that the bible has the final say. Our opinions and the ways of the world don't play a part in whether what the bible says is right or wrong.

MA2010

I am a Christian. I am not affiliated with a denomination because the bible speaks against that. What I love about my congregation and the other congregations that abide by the true docrtrine of the bible is that the bible is used for the teaching and spiritual growth of it's flock. There is a strong sense of family, and a lot of effort is put into the home, children and husbands and wives. Also I like the fact that the leadership of the congregation isn't pedastal'd above others.
And the most important thing to me is that the bible has the final say. Our opinions and the ways of the world don't play a part in whether what the bible says is right or wrong.

Nice. Your description fits my church here in Italy as well. I love the fact that FAMILY IS VALUED IN EVERY WAY!There is no "children's church" or seperation of parent and child.

I grew up in a chruch where we had a "children's ministry" when we were younger and we basically did whatever we pleased back there without adult supervision..........:nono:!

I'm older now and I kno when I have children they will be right up under DH and I learning God's word and how to act from Godly adults and not other children. :grin:

msa

My church is nondenominational. We focus on the bible's words and use that as a guide. I love that my church's philosophy is that a believer is a lifelong student and that you should constantly be studying and praying. I also love that we use the name Yeshua, instead of Jesus, because it truly makes me feel closer to my savior to call Him by His name.

divya

I belong to the Seventh-Day Adventist movement. What I love about it...

1. Sola Scriptura approach.
2. Both Old and New Testament are held as valid.
3. Deep study of the Word.
4. The health message, which teaches that healthy living are part of being holy.
5. Keeping the Sabbath.
6. Anywhere you go in the world, you can usually find an SDA church and people embrace you. Take you home for lunch. :)

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I have been a member of churches all across the denominational spectrum, and here is what I thought the strengths of all of them were:

Roman Catholic Church: Appreciation of liturgy--not only beautiful, but the focus of worship is not on my feelings, but on focusing on God's story of redemption. Also, the concept of the universal church. It was great to visit Catholic churches in Italy and Spain and know that the reading and teachings that sunday were being read and taught in every other Catholic congregation around the world.

Southern Baptist Church
: No-nonsense commitment to obedience to God's word, period. dot. My friend and I always said that the world will go to hell in a handbasket and the Southern Baptists will still be holding it down. I was discipled in this congregation and really, it's all about obedience to Jesus.

Eastern Orthodox Church: Like the Roman Catholic Church, appreciation of the beauty of liturgy, of music as a part of worship, and a sense of the universal church. It's never about our one congregation, but about the Body of Christ as a whole. Also, commitment to Christ and proper doctrine is taken very seriously.

Anglican Communion (my present church): I love the tradition embraced here! Many protestant denominations look down on the concept of tradition as something man-made, but it doesn't have to be understood that way. Anglicans embrace the tradition of the Christian church as understanding that holy people of God have been praying the Scriptures and discussing their meaning for millenia now, and whatever conclusions we draw about the Scriptures today should also take the perspectives of other holy men and women of God into account as well. They believe in the primacy of God's word without believing in the primacy of my interpretation of God's word.

Also, everything is sacramental, which adds another dimension to worship. Also, it is a humble denomination in that, really, it doesn't promote the banner of "Anglicanism," but Christ, period, and the only "essentials" taught in the church are the creeds.