What's the purpose of a leave-in conditioner?

Extremus

The reason I ask is because I don't get how you wash and condition your hair and then have to put in another "conditioner" :confused:. Why not just skip the conditioner and go from shampoo to a leave-in conditioner? or shampoo-conditioner-no leave-in (since you already used "a conditioner", right?) or no? :ohwell:

I hope I didn't confuse anyone :look:

No that's a very good question:yep:
I often don't wash my conditioner out completly and just skip the leave in.
I rarely use leave-in's or moisturizers anyways unless my hair feels dry which sometimes happens if I didn't wash for a couple days.

I use both because I like the results that I receive on my hair. My leave in conditioner gives my hair a softness and a great shine with my roller sets.:grin:

I think of it this way my wash and co-wash give my hair moisture for about 30 minutes to an hour before the air, working 24-7 saps it's moisture. Now it's going to be another 20 hours before I wash and co-wash again.

In that time my hair suffers from the sun, wind, rain, my hands, my accessories, and the air.

My hair needs some moisture inbetween washes and I wash DAILY!

Enter: My leave-in. It gets my hair from wash to wash. Because that 30 minutes of moisture my hair gets every 20 hours can't compete the the damage that just being out and about in the elements causes.

Managing and mediating that damage is KEY to retention.

More retention = longer hair = bigger afro = happier me. :grin:

HTH!

It provides round the clock moisture for me, something that Black hair demands. I've been using Herbel Essence Hello Hydration regular condtioner as my leave in and my hair is so strong and healthy.

I think of it this way my wash and co-wash give my hair moisture for about 30 minutes to an hour before the air, working 24-7 saps it's moisture. Now it's going to be another 20 hours before I wash and co-wash again.

In that time my hair suffers from the sun, wind, rain, my hands, my accessories, and the air.

My hair needs some moisture inbetween washes and I wash DAILY!

Enter: My leave-in. It gets my hair from wash to wash. Because that 30 minutes of moisture my hair gets every 20 hours can't compete the the damage that just being out and about in the elements causes.

Managing and mediating that damage is KEY to retention.

More retention = longer hair = bigger afro = happier me. :grin:

HTH!

I so totally agree with this! This is the same reason I put conditioner on my hair as a leave in. This, along with co-washing, is the best moves I've made for my hair.

My hair would be a dry tangled mess if I didn't put in some leave-in conditioner to air dry.

For me my leave-in is simply for moisture. I actually use a moisturizer as my leave-in. It helps my hair maintain moisture better than if I apply it on my dry hair.

No that's a very good question:yep:
I often don't wash my conditioner out completly and just skip the leave in.
I rarely use leave-in's or moisturizers anyways unless my hair feels dry which sometimes happens if I didn't wash for a couple days.

ditto. or sometimes i will wash, rinse with ACV and then use a leave-in conditioner.

mainly i use leave-in conditioners for styling... my hair won't dry as fast so my coils will pop more, and if i use a diffuser to speed up drying time, the leave-in coats my hair and keeps it from frizzing while drying. :yep:

It provides round the clock moisture for me, something that Black hair demands. I've been using Herbel Essence Hello Hydration regular condtioner as my leave in and my hair is so strong and healthy.
same here. and salerm 21 or redken butter treat. when i wasnt using leave in my hair was not in good condition

Back