What's Your Definition of Natural?

Southernbella.

perhaps the reason for the heated discussion lies in what the term "natural" represents within the Black community. while most women on the boards are either natural b/c they have always been that way, or because they had issues with relaxers, or because they just wanted to see their natural texture or try something new, IMO it is very possible that there is a sub-conscious concept that because natural Black hair has been demonized within American culture and abroad for so long, for a Black woman to have beautiful, healthy and thriving, 100% natural hair, it stands as a testament to the true beauty that encompasses being Black.

now i'm not saying that all naturals are as such for political reasons (a few women are, but from what i have seen, the majority of women who go natural from relaxed did so for many other reasons completely devoid of political and of course there are those who just never got a relaxer in the first place)

all that i am saying is that i believe "the big deal" is that a woman, who believes within her heart that she is natural, should not be told that she isn't b/c again, i think that taps into and threatens that woman's sub-conscious ideas of Black beauty within a largely white society.

people are going to get heated about issues they strongly believe in. (obviously :lachen:)

all in luv!

This is a good point. Maybe I won't care 5 years from now, but I'm newly nappy. It took a LOT for me to get to this point. I had darn-near waist length relaxed hair, and now I have a fro. I'll be *&%$! if someone is going to tell me I can't be natural if I dye my hair black (which I have done) or use poo with chemicals in it.

Trust me...compared to where I was, I'm natural!:lachen:I don't say that to say natural is better, I say that to say it was a heck of a journey from there to here. That means something to me.:yep:

Ms.Honey

I puts me in the mind of how some Africans say that African-Americans aren't black or African because we aren't "pure". We have other races mixed in so we can't be African-American.Who are they to tell me what I am?
I said SOME Africans. I swear to God if someone says I'm ragging on Africans......:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
This is a good point. Maybe I won't care 5 years from now, but I'm newly nappy. It took a LOT for me to get to this point. I had darn-near waist length relaxed hair, and now I have a fro. I'll be *&%$! if someone is going to tell me I can't be natural if I dye my hair black (which I have done) or use poo with chemicals in it.

Trust me...compared to where I was, I'm natural!:lachen:I don't say that to say natural is better, I say that to say it was a heck of a journey from there to here. That means something to me.:yep:
Yeah, I would feel the same way if I was a newly natural and someone with nappy @$$ hair came up to me and said "you ain't natural because of this or that".

I've put Bigen semi-color oriental black in my hair before but now I've been contemplating a permanent blue black color so I can have a super dark black fro...just not sure about using the permanent color on my hair yet.

Sweet_Ambrosia

Interesting replies, some are basic and some are extremmme! :lachen:
IMO Natural hair is 100% free from texture altering chemicals ie. Relaxers and Texturizers.

Neith

Sodium hydroxide is a natural chemical...If I use it on my hair, I'll still be natural. :lol::lachen:

But you know what though? When I had relaxed hair and before I ever knew online hair boards existed, I used to think my relaxed hair was natural because it was not fake, it naturally grew out of my scalp. How come relaxed hair can't be considered natural? Maybe natural is the wrong term to use for hair with no relaxers. Like someone mentioned earlier about there's a difference between natural and virgin hair. Maybe we can say virgin hair has no relaxers and no color, and we can say natural hair is just hair that real, not fake, and grows naturally out of your scalp but it may have chemicals on it or be styled a certain way to make it look different.......... :think:

HAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :grin::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Um. I never said that natural chemicals vs. man made chemical made a difference? In fact I stated the opposite many times. Why'd you pick me to say that to?

It's natural and hasn't been chemically altered(you know what I mean!). I'm against chemically altered stuff....so I'm still natural, I mean you know, using natural chemicals and what not!:lachen:

WHO CARES!!!!??????:ohwell:

I bought up henna because you made a comment about how/why someone using it may make others feel they aren't natural. I don't know if it's permanent or not so I have no opinion about it.

I didn't say you weren't natural or say anything about your hair... :ohwell: so wth?

sepiaamor

my def -no perm no color (henna is a gray area) - weaves/wigs/braids/natural products don't make a difference

with that said, you can tie a bow around your waist and call yourself a present if you want to. point being if you wanna call yourself natural, call yourself natural.

I agree. The fact that I have no perm whatsoever is what make me a natural to MY definition. So if your gonna be a purist for you then that's fine. But for me no chemical fire ceamy crack rocking a fro sometimes and my braids more often means I AM A NATURAL:rolleyes:

Neith

All I'm saying is:

Natural : existing in or formed by nature (opposed to artificial)

Permanently colored, relaxed hair, permed hair and texturized hair hair doesn't fit that description and there is nothing you can do to make it fit besides cutting it off.

Hell, you can call it whatever you like... I don't care. Just technically it's not natural. Not an opinion. You applied something to your hair that raised the cuticle, broke down some of the proteins inside of it and deposited something inside of it

I think the problem is... people have too many feelings wrapped up in their hair texture.

Having colored is not a bad thing it doesn't (have to) make your hair any less nappy. It's not an insult. I don't see why people would take it an an insult.

anon123

Seriously and forreal. I think trying to come to an agreement on what is 'natural' that everyone is down with is about as - pointless - as the '100% black' threads that were bouncing around a lil while ago.
Be aware that your definition won't be everyone else's, that your definition might CHANGE, and that there ain't nothing wrong with that. There really isn't a NappyClub(tm) for membership privileges to be revoked from.

Can I get an amen? I commented on pg. 5, went to work and stuff, and came back and y'all got heated! We do not all have to agree! It's okay, really it is, if people don't all think the same thing. And I also object to the "nappy nazi" thing being thrown around. The crazy thing is, nobody said anybody was better or worse or anything for choosing one hair option over the other, just that they didn't fit into their definition of natural. So what? So what someone has a different opinion? How in the world is that an insult, or in any way comparable to Naziism? Dang. It's not a matter of right or wrong, no one's going to break out some scienmatific facts and "prove" what is True. Because it's not a matter of there being one true answer, it's a matter of opinion, and the OP asked for people's opinions. Trying to come to a point on Truth for what is "natural" as it concerns humans is pretty pointless anyway. At least that's how the old anthro major in me feels. If you want to nitpick it enough, I'm sure we can find a way of making every person on this board not natural, if we want; it's just a matter of where you draw the line.

Last edited:

Qetesh

wow i didnt know it was gonna get this deep.

i consider myself natural and virgin hair. i dont use color or chemical relaxer on my hair.

BUT... i did henna my hair last summer for its conditioning qualities.... sunlight makes my hair lighter then any changes henna did to my hair, it was red so in the sunlight on certain parts of my hair i now see a slight red tint . i am going to indigo henna it tho because my hair is like 1b and i want to see if i cant make it black,.... and guess what i am still going to consider myself natural no matter what anyone on this board says LOL

Neith

I know right! :nono: According to that board I'm not near natural since I flat iron and I'd be stoned for my siggy pic #2:lachen:

but... who said that heat straightened hair isn't natural?

Most people said that chemically processed hair isn't natural. I recall a few who said weaves aren't (don't agree with that one, your natural hair is just underneath)

That site is crazy... I've been there before lol

anon123

but... who said that heat straightened hair isn't natural?

Most people said that chemically processed hair isn't natural. I recall a few who said weaves aren't (don't agree with that one, your natural hair is just underneath)

That site is crazy... I've been there before lol

me. haha, i'm the one who would call colored natural before heat straightened hair. i used to press my hair all the time, never wore it nappy, and i don't consider that a time in my life when i wore my hair natural. jmo, is all. maybe i have to put a disclaimer after every time i say that. disclaimer: i am not insulting anyone's hair or saying anyone's hair is in any way better or worse than anyone else's!

and btw, i LOVE that site!

tocktick

Can I get an amen? I commented on pg. 5, went to work and stuff, and came back and y'all got heated! We do not all have to agree! It's okay, really it is, if people don't all think the same thing. And I also object to the "nappy nazi" thing being thrown around. The crazy thing is, nobody said anybody was better or worse or anything for choosing one hair option over the other, just that they didn't fit into their definition of natural. So what? So what someone has a different opinion? How in the world is that an insult, or in any way comparable to Naziism? Dang. It's not a matter of right or wrong, no one's going to break out some scienmatific facts and "prove" what is True. Because it's not a matter of there being one true answer, it's a matter of opinion, and the OP asked for people's opinions. Trying to come to a point on Truth for what is "natural" as it concerns humans is pretty pointless anyway. At least that's how the old anthro major in me feels. If you want to nitpick it enough, I'm sure we can find a way of making every person on this board not natural, if we want; it's just a matter of where you draw the line.

ITA! the bold is why this thread is at page 23 and counting, imo.

and btw, i LOVE that site!

me too. i hate to see lhcf mentioned there in a negative manner and vice versa. there are naturals (even long-term members) who straighten occasionally on that board; don't advocate straightening your hair even if you choose to and you will not face "hostility". it's that simple. of course, if you want to challenge them on that when you know their philosophy then you were blatantly looking for drama :yep:.

division/elitism between relaxed heads and naturals is stupid to me but when it applies to those who are "natural" (i.e - trying to create division etc within the natural "group") then it's even more idiotic, imo.

Last edited:

Mortons

If that's not the color her hair grows out of her head, then yeah, she is chemically processed - peroxide is a chemical. She's not chemically straightened, but her hair has for sure been processed.

And I don't know where anyone said anything about going up to folks and *snapsnapsnap* telling them they aren't natural. The OP's question is - what is your definition of natural... and just cuz our definitions don't match up doesn't mean someone is getting called out for not being natural.

Dang.

If that second part is directed at me, I'm not sure why. All I did was ask a question. Thank you :)

Poohbear

Can we at least agree that for the purposes of hairboard distinctions, natural hair STARTS with not being relaxed? Because that is the biggest distinction. You can be colored and relaxed, colored and natural, but you can't be relaxed and natural at the same time.

Right?
You can't have colored finger nails either, Lauren. That's not natural! :grin:

Poohbear

Um. I never said that natural chemicals vs. man made chemical made a difference? In fact I stated the opposite many times. Why'd you pick me to say that to?
I wasn't necessarily saying that to you when I quoted you. I was just being silly more than anything. :grin:

DeepBluSea

Both of yall can get a A-MEN from me. Everyone is not going to agree. So what? If you are secure in yourself then accept the discussion like grown women and KIM.

BTW making light of what some posters believe about hair makes you just as unaccepting as the site that some people keep referencing as unaccepting and exclusive. Shouldn't all opinions be respected, even the ones you don't agree with. Pot meet kettle.:rolleyes: Some of yall harbor some ill feelings about internet life. Now it really isn't that serious.

Christa438

You can't have colored finger nails either, Lauren. That's not natural! :grin:

You a mess!!!!! :lol:

I guess there's different levels of being a natural too... You're only a 100% pure natural when you wash with only pure water...wait a minute....if I do decide to become a natural (regular natural), but then after a while I decide to become a 100% pure natural (super natural/natural natural), um should I wash my hair with tap water, distilled water or spring water? I dont want to lose my credit as a super natural or natural natural by washing with the wrong water (i guess the tap water would've come into contact with chemicals?). Next I'll need a natural conditioner. Then what should I moisturize and seal with? Those will need to be natural products too.

Let me stop, im just playing around y'all...i am enjoying my texlax now and that's as close to natural as Im gonna be for now...one day, maybe,idk :lol:

BlkOnyx488

I am curious to know
1. what does her mother's hair look like?
2. Is it Long?
3. what does she use in hair if it is long and healthy?

I could be down for a totally holistic natural hair regime if it helps me retain and maintain length:drunk:

Ms.Honey

You a mess!!!!! :lol:

I guess there's different levels of being a natural too... You're only a 100% pure natural when you wash with only pure water...wait a minute....if I do decide to become a natural (regular natural), but then after a while I decide to become a 100% pure natural (super natural/natural natural), um should I wash my hair with tap water, distilled water or spring water? I dont want to lose my credit as a super natural or natural natural by washing with the wrong water (i guess the tap water would've come into contact with chemicals?). Next I'll need a natural conditioner. Then what should I moisturize and seal with? Those will need to be natural products too.

Let me stop, im just playing around y'all...i am enjoying my texlax now and that's as close to natural as Im gonna be for now...one day, maybe,idk :lol:

Well you would have to get your water from the deepest parts of the Amazon where no acid rain has been able to penetrate the natural canvass of the forest. Regular water would make you unnatural( once natural but no longer natural) Now if you can get the Amazon water and pick your own coconuts and crack them on a rock to get to the water and oil then you would be a super duper triple trooper natural natural natural. HTH:lachen:

LynnieB

Well you would have to get your water from the deepest parts of the Amazon where no acid rain has been able to penetrate the natural canvass of the forest. Regular water would make you unnatural( once natural but no longer natural) Now if you can get the Amazon water and pick your own coconuts and crack them on a rock to get to the water and oil then you would be a super duper triple trooper natural natural natural. HTH:lachen:

dead. deader. stankin' :lachen::lachen:

Mortons

I'm afraid you do err mon cher. Water has chlorine and fluoride which are chemicals! You can only be natural if you do not comb (made from plastic,chemicals) or wash(see above) or do anything other than finger comb. And that settles that:lachen:

This has gotten too nutty. I think we can all agree that no one is going to taotally agree with anyone else. And no one really cares if others consider them natural or not. We is what we is.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

divya

perhaps the reason for the heated discussion lies in what the term "natural" represents within the Black community. while most women on the boards are either natural b/c they have always been that way, or because they had issues with relaxers, or because they just wanted to see their natural texture or try something new, IMO it is very possible that there is a sub-conscious concept that because natural Black hair has been demonized within American culture and abroad for so long, for a Black woman to have beautiful, healthy and thriving, 100% natural hair, it stands as a testament to the true beauty that encompasses being Black.

now i'm not saying that all naturals are as such for political reasons (a few women are, but from what i have seen, the majority of women who go natural from relaxed did so for many other reasons completely devoid of political and of course there are those who just never got a relaxer in the first place)

all that i am saying is that i believe "the big deal" is that a woman, who believes within her heart that she is natural, should not be told that she isn't b/c again, i think that taps into and threatens that woman's sub-conscious ideas of Black beauty within a largely white society.

people are going to get heated about issues they strongly believe in. (obviously :lachen:)

all in luv!

Interesting points. That probably has a lot do with why some people are defensive about being natural. Honestly, it isn't that deep for me. My hair will be completely natural when both relaxer and color are out of it. That's that. I'm not going to tell anyone they aren't natural. But the question is "what'syour definition of natural?" There's no need to get worked up because someone has a different view of what is natural. Nobody is doing anyone else anything by having their own opinion about being natural.