When does hair color turn ghetto?

DaiseeDay

:ohwell: This question comes from the "Weave Got To Do Better" thread.

Is it the hair's stye? Overall presentation of the person wearing the hair color? Colors that clash with the person's skin tone?

I'm thinking it's a combo of all of these things. I refuse to believe that just because a darker person wears un-natural hair color it's ghetto. There has to be more to it.

This:

Vs. This:

This:

Vs. This:

This:

& This:

Vs. This:

Also, for those of us who like to dye their hair crazy colors, how do we avoid looking a HAM?

Tips I can think of:

- Be aware of your skin tone - Warm vs. Cool; Clear vs. Muted
- Think about overall presentation (clothing, accessories)
- Be aware of your overall hair style.

I love Jeannie Mai (How Do I Look) from the first pic and I currently have my hair highlighted the same way. She's the one I got the 2nd tip from, she says this about hair color, tattoos, and piercings (all of which she has): treat them as accessories, and I think it's a good rule to go by. I've gotten a lot of compliments from different people on my hair, so I assume my hair doesn't look a HAM... At least I don't think so.

And when I think about it I haven't heard Rhianna's bright red hair get called ghetto I think it's just a matter of style.

I'm just thinking we can compile a list of tips for rocking edgy hair color without looking crazy.

This website has great hair coloring tips and a gallery for inspirations.

http://haircrazy.info/

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Now you know you cannot compare these photos. The mugs shots are all a HOT MESS - and not just because of the hair color.:lachen:

Personally, I find it totally inappropriate in a corporate environment to have any unnatural color of hair. It's not trendy at all in corporate America.

If you work in retail (some categories), entertainment, graphic arts, design or some other creative field, then it probably does seem edgy.

I have only seen one colleague (White woman) with this kind of hair. It was just one pink streak at first and she knows it's startling. She admitted that she hid the streak for the interview and then she added more color (electric blue) a few months after she was hired. She is in the design group though.

:ohwell: This question comes from the "Weave Got To Do Better" thread.

I'm a little annoyed that when a black person dyes their hair an un-natural color it gets called ghetto, but it's just called edgy when a white person does it. It's actually a trend to have pastel-colored hair right now, but I'd guess that at least 7/10 times when a black person wants to rock this, it's not gonna be called trendy, just ghetto. I will not lie, when I see some hairstyles (most of the ones from the WGTDB thread) I think they do indeed look ghetto.

So, I'm honestly trying to figure out why that is. Is it the hair's stye? Overall presentation of the person wearing the hair color? Colors that clash with the person's skin tone?

I'm thinking it's a combo of all of these things. I refuse to believe that just because a darker person wears un-natural hair color it's ghetto. There has to be more to it.

This:

Vs. This:

This:

Vs. This:

This:

& This:

Vs. This:

Also, for those of us who like to dye their hair crazy colors, how do we avoid looking a HAM?

Tips I can think of:

- Be aware of your skin tone - Warm vs. Cool; Clear vs. Muted
- Think about overall presentation (clothing, accessories)
- Be aware of your overall hair style.

I love Jeannie Mai (How Do I Look) from the first pic and I currently have my hair highlighted the same way. She's the one I got the 2nd tip from, she says this about hair color, tattoos, and piercings (all of which she has): treat them as accessories, and I think it's a good rule to go by. I've gotten a lot of compliments from different people on my hair, so I assume my hair doesn't look a HAM... At least I don't think so.

And when I think about it I haven't heard Rhianna's bright red hair get called ghetto (not that I've heard)... Now I'd like to think that this isn't a stupid light sin vs. dark skin thing, but just a matter of style.

I'm just thinking we can compile a list of tips for rocking edgy hair color without looking crazy.

This website has great hair coloring tips and a gallery for inspirations.

http://haircrazy.info/

Actually looking at the gallery makes me remember that I've seen plenty of white people with un-natural hair colors that I thought looked a HAM too.

reeko43

White people are called trash when they do anything that we judge "ghetto" which included different color hair and styles if one is not in entertainment, hair & beauty, art, etc. Same as Blacks.

DaiseeDay

Now you know you cannot compare these photos. The mugs shots are all a HOT MESS - and not just because of the hair color.:lachen:

Ok ok fair enough! I know those are extreme examples, but I wanted to show that the colors weren't ghetto in of themselves, it's the whole presentation.

Sent from my iPad

DaiseeDay

White people are called trash when they do anything that we judge "ghetto" which included different color hair and styles if one is not in entertainment, hair & beauty, art, etc. Same as Blacks.

No, I think they either get called, trash, emo/scene, artsy, edgy, or trendy. Those are a lot more choices than what we usually seem to have.

This isn't necessarily just about black vs. white either it's about HAM vs rocking something different.

Sent from my iPad

naturalmanenyc

Not ghetto, per se, but still a fail

This is hot - purple

Not ghetto, but I would not do it.

Last edited:

DaiseeDay

Nope. You can't do this!!

Do what? Compare those pics?

I didn't really feel like going around finding pics of HAM vs cool hair, so I used what I had. But I think everyone know what I'm talking about.

Some people brought this up in the other thread and I want to prove that its not just about race.

Sent from my iPad

Sianna

I'm a little annoyed that when a black person dyes their hair an un-natural color it gets called ghetto, but it's just called edgy when a white person does it. It's actually a trend to have pastel-colored hair right now, but I'd guess that at least 7/10 times when a black person wants to rock this, it's not gonna be called trendy, just ghetto. I will not lie, when I see some hairstyles (most of the ones from the WGTDB thread) I think they do indeed look ghetto.

Basic double standard. The fact of the matter is that black people have been, and in many cases, still are considered to be second class citizens... or worse. This is an ugly, but inescapable reality.

So, the matter boils down to simply this... DO YOU. No matter what you do in this world, someone, somewhere will have something negative to say about it. The question is, do you care what other people think, or do you care what you think.

lesedi

All is well with me
Do what? Compare those pics?

I didn't really feel like going around finding pics of HAM vs cool hair, so I used what I had. But I think everyone know what I'm talking about.

Some people brought this up in the other thread and I want to prove that its not just about race.

Sent from my iPad
that too, but i was referring to posting those pics again. Everytime i see the blue pyramid one i am close to tears:lachen:

DaiseeDay

Not ghetto, per se, but still a fail

This is hot - purple

No ghetto, but I would not do it.

This is more what I mean. I love the purple. The pink is OK to me - not hot, but not a HAM either. I think it's just something she can get away with as a performer.

Sent from my iPad

LittleLuxe

Yeah...it's like close to impossible to compare those vs. Photos because they are universes apart.

I'm young, love wild style and enjoy seeing unorthodox things on people: makeup to fashion to hair, but I've also come to realize liking a little wild on one individual doesn't mean I HAVE to love and support crazy on every individual.

In my opinion it has NOTHING to do with skin tone. For every good photo the women wear their hair without letting it overwhelm them. It compliments them and is styled to fit them. Even if those mug shot women were decked to the 9's they'd still look ghetto. You can tell they didn't try to find a style to fit them but just plopped some crazy on their head. The colors don't fit their skin tone, the styles don't fit the shape of their heads...we've got exposed tracks...I mean come on.

I think ghetto is the go•-to word because most blacks use it to reference someone who is uneducated or without class. White people though are just as hard(and not as sensitive) with their own train wrecks.

LittleLuxe

Oh my tips:

1. Let the style/color fit you. Not everyone is a Rihanna or Amber Rose. You have to have the personality and style to carry such bold hair. In my opinion Rihanna succeeds where Amber fails. Amber usually has EVERYTHING on her body at a 10 whereas Rihanna has been smart enough to tone down her makeup and class up her style. The studs prominent during her Rated R days have disappeared for bright colors and feminine cuts. 2. Mind your skin tone. You might not be able to go Hawaiian punch red with your hair. You may have to go with wine or strawberry blonde. What works for some may not work for all.
3. Mind your head. We all have different shaped heads and you should tailor a future style for your own head. That one girl's hair isn't tragic because it's blue, it's tragic because as others have said she has a pyramid on top of her head.

3 simple easy tips

reeko43

No, I think they either get called, trash, emo/scene, artsy, edgy, or trendy. Those are a lot more choices than what we usually seem to have.

This isn't necessarily just about black vs. white either it's about HAM vs rocking something different.

Sent from my iPad

So you have never heard a Black person referred to as trendy, artsy, edgy or words along that line? I certainly have. Emo, no.

It definitely depends on the presentation for any race. A Black woman with different colors in her hair, acting normal, sharp hair cut will not automatically be considered "ghetto". A Black woman talking loud to someone right next to her, talking about what b%&^$ she was going to f up and where she is going to get her weed, with pink yarn in her hair will be considered "ghetto".

I don't agree with the terms "ghetto" or "trash" but these terms are used and sometimes too loosely.

Lady S

I love funky hair color. I think for the most part, the crazier the color, the simpler the hair style should be. I think a short sleek bob with red hair is a lot different then a quick weave where you can see the tracks in a ponytail with synthetic crimped hair. Brown gel should not be involved. But then again, brown gel shouldn't be considered, period.

I also agree that you have to pick a color flattering to your skin tone and that you have to consider the place you work. There may be a job where coloring your whole head purple isn't a great idea, but you can get away with a few highlights. And of course, there are work places where you have to put the dye away and use accessories to get your color fix.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
You can have an unnatural color if the style of your hair is more conservative. The contrast is what makes it 'edgy' and 'cool'.

DaiseeDay

So you have never heard a Black person referred to as trendy, artsy, edgy or words along that line? I certainly have. Emo, no.

It definitely depends on the presentation for any race. A Black woman with different colors in her hair, acting normal, sharp hair cut will not automatically be considered "ghetto". A Black woman talking loud to someone right next to her, talking about what b%&^$ she was going to f up and where she is going to get her weed, with pink yarn in her hair will be considered "ghetto".

I don't agree with the terms "ghetto" or "trash" but these terms are used and sometimes too loosely.

I didn't say that I've never seen black people described in those way. I have (including emo).

Though I do agree that ghetto and trash can often be used too loosely.

There's a difference in how these are presented and that was my point - regardless of race and what word you chose to use to describe a HAM, what makes it a HAM?

On the flip side I have also seen someone obviously going for an artsy look, but b/c they're black someone is ready to call it ghetto and I've heard the argument that the above things are just artsy/creative as well - while most people would agree that it looks HAM. There's a bias, yet I do think that if something is presented well its more likely to be received well rather than as a HAM. Of course there are still closed-minded people who will say anything different is HAM - well then those people are the point where I stop caring.

Sent from my iPad

DaiseeDay

Oh my tips:

1. Let the style/color fit you. Not everyone is a Rihanna or Amber Rose. You have to have the personality and style to carry such bold hair. In my opinion Rihanna succeeds where Amber fails. Amber usually has EVERYTHING on her body at a 10 whereas Rihanna has been smart enough to tone down her makeup and class up her style. The studs prominent during her Rated R days have disappeared for bright colors and feminine cuts. 2. Mind your skin tone. You might not be able to go Hawaiian punch red with your hair. You may have to go with wine or strawberry blonde. What works for some may not work for all.
3. Mind your head. We all have different shaped heads and you should tailor a future style for your own head. That one girl's hair isn't tragic because it's blue, it's tragic because as others have said she has a pyramid on top of her head.

3 simple easy tips

I agree with these.

Sent from my iPad

DaiseeDay

I guess I should clarify. When I say I'm irritated about black people getting called ghetto for having un-natural hair. I mean I do recognize that a HAM is a HAM, but I have seen cases where some will automatically link black and un- natural hair color = ghetto. I have seen that thought process in some people. I guess I should just exclude those cases since those people are obviously just ignorant. And no I'm not talking about cases like the WGTDB thread - I'm talking about an other wise decent hairstyle. Anyway my question is still about rocking un natural hair color.

Sent from my iPad

DarkVictory

How would the style look if it were not a crazy color? That's one guideline, along with the color coordinating with the person's skin tone. IMO all the mugshot styles would still look bad even if the hair was black or brown.

koolkittychick

I would have to agree with one of the other posters that it's all about the context of the overall presentation whether someone is considered "edgy" or "ghetto," and would add that depending on how the person was styled overall and in what environment they are rocking that particular look, it doesn't have to be about race at all.

For instance, I can totally see miss Pyramid girl rocking a black, multi zippered leather outfit with some crazy futuristic makeup job (say, matching blue lips and an inverted blue eyeshadow pyramid painted over an entire eye), and she would be an edgy girl in a punk or retro 80's club. And even then, while that style would be kicking, it still wouldn't work for most environments unless you're in show biz or fashion. With just the hair, no makeup, and ratty clothes, she's just ghetto.

You do you the way you want to, but if you're going to do it, don't do it halfway, and always remember there's a time and a place for everything -- make sure your style is flexible enough to accommodate those occasions while maintaining the essence of you.

Dellas

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Skin tone/color plus style (wild cut,fierce) puts you in that status.
If you have color and a style that identifies with the lower class then ....

If you have the right skin tone and extremely wild or ornate cut then Ghetto but somewhat wild but you have the wrong attitude...loud, bad grammar, then Glam Ghetto

If you don't have the right skin tone and color (don't matter the cut)....ghetto.

Dark skin is the FACE of Ghetto!
Just like India.
If you are dark, then you must work harder to disassociate yourself from everything that is prescribed to you!
The less euro features you have, the harder you have to work in general. There are always exceptions!

Okay! This is just my opinion. Some people will get the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
It's how you wear it. I dyed my hair purple and I wore it as an accent.

Now if my hair matched my eye make-up, shirt, and shoes. Then it would've been ghetto. it's how the person carries themselves, and the style of the hair.

nathansgirl1908

I think it's ghetto when it's not a natural hair color. But that can be iffy too because I remember some Black woman got I. Trouble while working at United Colors of Benetton when she dyed her hair blonde.

cheryl26

White people do get called trashy for certain hair colors/styles when it's combined with an overall shaggy appearance. Where I'm from the only folks who ever dyed their hair bright rainbow colors were usually poor trailer trash who stole things from Hot Topic.