When flat ironing and using a liquid heat protectant...

MissJ

do you let the heat protectant dry first and then flat iron or flat iron right after you spray on the heat protectant?

-First Time Flat Ironer

Crystal

I've always wondered that too. I don't like that sizzling noise, makes me think my hair is frying. Now I use "Turn up the Heat" by Beyond the Zone. It's more oil based than water based so it doesn't sizzle as much.

Beyond The Zone Turn Up The Heat Flat Iron Protection
By: Beyond The Zone, Inc.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1320/140036

Sally Item #: 140036

Size: 8.5 oz

Use with flat irons or any heated appliance to protect hair from heat damage.

Leaves hair soft and manageable while providing a luxurious shine
Seals the cuticle for smooth looking, healthy hair
For straight, shiny, silky smooth hair

Usage Tips
Can be used on damp or dry hair. Hold bottle 6-8 inches from hair, spray lightly and comb through to the ends. Use any heated appliance to achieve desire style.

hairmaster

I spray and comb thru to distribute to the ends. Then quickly run the iron thru to remove moister.then slowly flat iron the hair,

ChocoKitty

I spray on heat protectant while wet. Then I blow dry and/or air dry. Wetting you hair with the product will make you hair "FRY" when it touches the iron. This goes for ceramics too unless they are especially designed for wet hair.

Babygurl

MissJ said:
do you let the heat protectant dry first and then flat iron or flat iron right after you spray on the heat protectant?

-First Time Flat Ironer

Occasionally Ill use a liquid heat protectant, Elasta QP Silk, I spray in on my hair and let it airdry. I use liquids when I want maximum swingability, they leave my hair light and bouncy.

MonaLisa

Babygurl said:
Occasionally Ill use a liquid heat protectant, Elasta QP Silk, I spray in on my hair and let it airdry. I use liquids when I want maximum swingability, they leave my hair light and bouncy.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....:scratchch

RainbowCurls

I spray it on then iron straight away. It does sizzle, which I'm sure is not good for the hair. But it gets the best results this way!

candita

so does that mean you flat iron while it's wet from the protectant or let it air dry. I get good results when it's still wet, but that frying sound scares the **** out of me! :eek:

luvlonghair

After my hair is dry I apply my heat protectant. I'm not sure what everyone else is using, but I use Nairobi Heat Protectant (kind of oil and/or silicone base) or I use Keracare Pressing creme. I don't get a sizzle from either of these.

Mizani_Mrs

I don't think i'd even buy a liquid heat protectant for the very reason you guys are discussing. I just theoretically dont understand how a liquid can protect the hair if it evaporates. I use EQP Mango butter and/or NTM silk serum as protectants and they both produce nice shine and still allow body.

But if i were using a liquid...i'd give it a few seconds to airdry before I used the flatiron.... I guess i can relate because i've used liquid setting lotions before and i always wait for them to dry first....:look:

caress

What I have always done is spray a little bit on my fingers, maybe rub my fingers together, let it evaporate a bit and then apply it to the section that I'm about to flatiron. Usually, I don't hear any sizzling.

I've used Redken So Long Heat Treat (discontinued but can still be bought on the internet), Paul Mitchell Heat Seal, Paul Mitchell Seal and Shine, Elasta QP Silk, Aussie Take the Heat Styling Spray, and Joico Silk Result Instant Smoother.

bajanplums1

i use a serum on wet hair and leave in conditioner on the ends of wet hair.
blow dry.
if ends are still a bitf rizzy bf i flat iron, i'll dab smooth grease on the ends only.
flat iron
then add essential fatty acid oils.
thus i make sure the hair is dry first.

the results are smooth with shine and body. the silicone serum is key for me.

Last edited:

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
Whenever I use a liquid heat protectant, I spray it on my slightly damp or dry hair, top it with a smoothing serum, and let it dry for a few seconds before applying my ceramic curling iron to it. I agree with the ladies. I, too, don't like to hear that sizzle when the heat is being administered. My products that I use:

Aussie Take The Heat Thermal Styling Spray
Ion Straightening Iron Spray (Best sale for this month only $5.29 at Sally BS)
Acclaim Glossing Polish

BC