When I flat iron my hair it comes out really dry!

SweetNic_JA

The first day my hair is really bouncy and bodacious but still dry.It's also tangly in the back. I can't maintain the flat iron style and end up washing and rollersetting. I thought I had learned how to combat dryness but I'm getting a reality check.

How can I counteract this dry mane? I'm a 4a/b with fine strands.

Current moisturizer: ORS carrot oil. and my scurl mixup .
Is there something else that I should try? I want to flat iron my hair next weekend so please let me know soon. I need something that locks in moisture but doesn't leave my hair feeling wet. Help me out, I'm dying here.

lala

I had good results when I used the L'Oreal Smooth-Intense Anti-Frizz Serum (after shampoo on wet hair). I also used the Profective 2-phase/3-phase leave-ins. After drying I sprayed with Profective Strength N Shine and flat ironed. My hair has been shiny/bouncy, no tangles.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
I had good results when I used the L'Oreal Smooth-Intense Anti-Frizz Serum (after shampoo on wet hair). I also used the Profective 2-phase/3-phase leave-ins. After drying I sprayed with Profective Strength N Shine and flat ironed. My hair has been shiny/bouncy, no tangles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the Loreal Smooth Intense Serum. It is great for smoothing the hair, detangling and locking in moisture. I also add unrefined coconut oil.

S

Stylepink

I had that problem, I realized my curling iron was too hot. Find the least amout of heat thats effective on your hair.

lala

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt & Lala, Where can I buy this? Is it a professional product?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought mine at Sally's.

lala

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly is a serum? Is Fantasia IC Hair polish a serum?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure. My hair responded better to the L'Oreal Anti-Frizz Serum, it softens and smooths the hair. IMO, the IC Hair Polisher provides shine. The L'Oreal is used on wet hair and the IC Hair Polisher is used on damp or dry hair.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt & Lala, Where can I buy this? Is it a professional product?

[/ QUOTE ]

I purchased mine at Wal-mart.

mirrormirror

Hi sweetnic_ja
.....Maybe you should put a mositurizing leave-in on wet hair. So the moisture is sealed in your hair as it dries.

Elyse

You may want to add a thermal protectant to your hair before flat ironing so that your hair doesn't dry out. I use the one from Biosilk and my hair is not dry at all

SweetNic_JA

thanks Ladies
I think it has a lot do do with my hair type. When I wash, I spray my hair with a mixture of 911 leave-in , s curl activator, jojoba oils, grapeseed oil, and coconut oil. My hair still turns out dry after it's all dried. I don't think that there's a product that can help it. I also have the Mizani ThermaSilk (I think that's the name) that's supposed to protect the hair shaft. It doesn't seem to do anything for me. I don't really know what to try .

JenJen2721

Have you tried Profectiv Healthy Ends? It's nice and think, some ladies have said too thick, but I've found that if I'm light handed with it, it works very well at protecting and moisturizing when flat ironing.

Also, it's a good idea to only flat iron after washing and conditioning well. I really, really, really try hard not to flat iron over old product or if I have build up.

Also, have you tried the New Image Damage Free?

HTH,
Jen

SweetNic_JA

Jen, I tried profective last summer and I thought it was making my hair hard so I stopped. I may give it a second try.

It's weird, my hair didn't behave this way when I had a no-lye relaxer. It was very straight and easy to smooth. sometimes I think I made a mistake switching to lye. For instance, if I flatiron my hair and try to wrap it, my hair is too dry to take the shape of the wrap. I never used to have that problem.

I will try both the loreal and the profective.

SweetNic_JA

What does the l'oreal smooth intense look like? I couldn't find it in Sally's or Walmart. :-/

What color is the container? Is it a bottle, tub, or a tube?

PrettyBrownEyes

SweetNic,

I haven't tried it myself, but, I have seen it at Target (I am not sure what state you live in), and it was in an Orange container, it is part of the L'Oreal Vive line, if I remember correctly.