When to apply leave in conditioners?

Sarahh.

When is the best time to put leave in conditioners/moisturizers in your hair?
As in, does it matter if your hair is wet, towel dried or completely dry?
For me it feels like putting it in dry hair lets it soak in more or something.

What do you think?

msdevo

I apply my leave in right after I towel dry and before my moisturizer. I like the way my hair feels when its applied to wet hair. When I apply it to dry hair I always feel like I am leaving something out .

Blessed_Angel

I've never tried on dry hair. I'd be curious to know what the ladies think.

I've never tried it either; or even though about it. I'd like to know too, but I don't think it would be the same using it on dry hair. But let's see; I learn something new everyday; this may be another lesson.

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
I apply mine shortly after rinsing deep conditioner. Neutrogena Triple Moisturizer can use daily on dry hair.

Sarahh.

Sounds like everyone puts their leave-in in when their hair is wet?
What about days that you don't wash it?
Do you not put it in?
Or do you wet your hair first?
I'm slightly confused.

Neith

Yes, on the days you don't wash your hair you can dampen it. I just put some water from the faucet in my hair with my hands... or you can use a spray bottle.

I have used moisturizer on dry hair too with good results. It depends on the moisturizer... I don't think that putting a thicker moisturizer on dry hair would work too well, but with some creamy to watery moisturizers, it can work well.

Tarae

Sounds like everyone puts their leave-in in when their hair is wet?
What about days that you don't wash it?
Do you not put it in?
Or do you wet your hair first?
I'm slightly confused.
I put my leave in after I rinse out my DC and before I rollerset/braidout/whatever.

On days I don't wash my hair, if I need a moisturizer I will apply one. For the most part, my leave in is not the same as my moisturizer.

sylver2

i have a leave in I use on wet hair after Deep conditioning...and i have a leave in I use on dry hair as my moisturizer.

camilla

I HAVE PUT IT IN ON DRY HAIR B4 ON THE WAY HOME FROM WORK ABOUT TWO DAYS AFTER A WASH IT GOT WET BXY THE TIME I REACHED HOME IT WAS DRY SO I SECTIONED IT OFF APPLIED GIOVANNI DIRECT TO THREE IN SECTIONS SEALED WITH A TINY BIT OF COCONUT OIL AND SET ON FLEXI RODS THE NEXT DAY CURLY MOIST PRETTY CURLS I SEPERATED AND PINNED A LITTLE HUMP IN THE FRONT IT WAS VERY PRETTY LADIES IDK IF I WAS BECAUSE GIOVANNI WAS A CREAM BASED LEAVE IN OR WHAT BUT I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST THET YOU TRY IT AS THE CURLS FELL I WRAPPED IT FOR A WAVY LOOK UNTIL THE WEEKEND WASH NOW I DO IT OFTEN SOMETIMES I SPRAY A LITTLE ALOE B4 GIOVANNI ETC

Blessed_Angel

I put my leave in after I rinse out my DC and before I rollerset/braidout/whatever.

On days I don't wash my hair, if I need a moisturizer I will apply one. For the most part, my leave in is not the same as my moisturizer.

This is exactly what I do too.

A leave-in conditioner and a moisturizer are two different things (IMO); serves different purposes, and are used at different times. :lachen:

Neith

A leave-in conditioner and a moisturizer are two different things (IMO); serves different purposes, and are used at different times. :lachen:

What is the difference?

I've never thought it made sense (no offense) to have a different leave in and moisturizer. They are the same thing imo... just different labeling/marketing.

sylver2

i kno for me i read the directions which suggested it could be used on dry hair. So i use the ntm silk touch cream leave in on my dry hair which works great but it did absolutely nothing as a leave in on my wet hair. I use Rusk smoother for my official wet hair after wash leave in.

Sarahh.

What is the difference?

I've never thought it made sense (no offense) to have a different leave in and moisturizer. They are the same thing imo... just different labeling/marketing.

Yeah what IS the difference?

LushLox

You should apply a leave in on wet hair, as it seals in moisture. Same applies to skin, if you add oils to wet/damp skin the end result is better moisture retention.

I apply my leave-in after I DC,wash,etc. I blot my hair with the towel before I put it on, instead of putting it on wet since the directions said to apply to damp hair. Then I proceed with styling, either spritzing water or other moisture mix and sealing. But it depends I guess. But on days I don't wash, I just use my moisturizer and seal.

baddison

natural for good
On wash days, I apply Giovanni Direct leave-in on damp hair after wash and DC. I will then style, or seal with evco.

On days I do not wash, I apply moisturizer at night, specifically jane carters hair nourishing cream:
Ingredients: Purified Water, Shea Butter, Kokum Butter, Illippe Butter, Mango Butter, Vtamins A, D, & E Orange, Grapefruit, Palmarosa, Cedarwood, Geranium, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Bergamot, Rosemary Essential Oils, Jojoba, Glycerin, Polysorbate 80, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl acrylate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid...:lick:.

Then I seal and cover with silk scarf.

MonPetite

After I co-wash during the week and after I DC on weekends, but ALWAYS before my styling aids, if I use any

chebaby

well moisturizers and leave ins are two different things. i spray my leave ins on my wet hair but i moisturize my dry hair. the only time i put moisturizers on wet hair is when i do a wet bun (revisited as of tody yaaaayy) but i never put leave ins on dry hair. hope i helped.