where are all the Affirm Relaxed/Texturized heads? 4a/4b/3c

Nanyanika

I need some questions answered. The first two times i used the fiberguard mild lye which left my hair very dry and unprocessed, with terrible shedding. Then i switched affirm lye mild, i found it was more conditioning however my hair still doesn't process enough to defined curls without leaving it on for 30 minutes plus, yes my hair is resistant 4a thick/medium texture. Should i switch to regular lye? how do i ensure that i'm not leaving it on to create straight hair? the insructions says that it shoud be left on for 15 minutes. Tell me ladies those who have 4a/4b/3c thick medium to coarse similar to mine how long do you leave it on to straighten or texturize your hair? Thankyou

cutebajangirl

I have used both and I have resistant hair as well. honestly for me it takes 3 relaxing sessions to get bigger curls. With each time I do it it gets slightly bigger. Of course I like this because I can "control" how big the curl gets. I try to stick under 20 minutes but I really don't focus too much on the time just getting it in and some smoothing and getting it out. What does you hair look like now? Cause it may be possible that you already by passed curls and just have waves or uneven processing.HTH.

zoya_j

I'd like to know too. I'll be switching to Affirm fiberguard for my touch up next month and my hair is underprocessed. It wasn't a big deal for me, being able to manage my hair was. My hair is quite resistant too it took two tries for anything to happen to my hair and if you check out my album you can see it was nothing much in regards to curls and waves, but it did sften up my texture alot.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
I have used both and I have resistant hair as well. honestly for me it takes 3 relaxing sessions to get bigger curls. With each time I do it it gets slightly bigger. Of course I like this because I can "control" how big the curl gets. I try to stick under 20 minutes but I really don't focus too much on the time just getting it in and some smoothing and getting it out. What does you hair look like now? Cause it may be possible that you already by passed curls and just have waves or uneven processing.HTH.

[/ QUOTE ]

We must be hair twins, it took me three sessions too. I have no waves at all, my hair is still curly with some uneven processing, the hair at the middle of my head had a big frizz up in February this year, it is very resistant, my sister recently processed it now it has defined curls however not as much as the rest of my head and needs more timing, this is so strange.The good thing is the dryness problem created by fiberguard has been corrected by Affirm original mild lye, stangely enough.I can't explain this but it has, raised my moisture retention.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know too. I'll be switching to Affirm fiberguard for my touch up next month and my hair is underprocessed. It wasn't a big deal for me, being able to manage my hair was. My hair is quite resistant too it took two tries for anything to happen to my hair and if you check out my album you can see it was nothing much in regards to curls and waves, but it did sften up my texture alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO Fiberguard put my hair through hell. I was shedding so much hair for months, the same amount as before i strated caring for my hair. The dryness was soo frustrating not to mention the fact that my hair was badly underprocessed, i will never return to Fiberguard, i'm sticking with the original system.

Zoya i saw your pics, they're really nice your curls looks soft.

model_chick717

I don't use Affirm relaxer--but I do use a regular strength lye relaxer. My hair is very resistant as well and when I've used mild relaxers to texturize in the past, they did nothing to my hair. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I use the Affirm regular lye relaxer. It is the only thing that does not leave my hair underprocessed. When I used no-lye relaxer my hair stayed underprocessed.

zoya_j

cbj- you texturize all of your hair not just the new growth?
modelchick- how long do you leave the relaxer on for?

The reason I'm asking is because i left mine on for about 10min after applying. maybe i need to leave it on longer? But I don't want my hair over processed. BTW I used Arosci Mild

jerseyjill

I used the Affirm fiberguard mild to texturize my hair back in March. No curls, waves or anything, just a loosened up fluffy afro.
June hits and I do my touch up, but I bring the perm all the way out to the ends. Some parts are fabulous, other parts are just frizzy. My hair is 4A/4B, but dare I say maybe I need a new category - 4D - D as in dont want to listen!
I have alot of shedding too, diidnt think of the relaxer. Im doing a touch up today and then I think Im going to switch to non fiberguard like some of you girls use, I thought fiberguard was the best. Or maybe I should do like modelchick and use a regular, and leavethe mild for 3C's or lower.

cutebajangirl

zoya- I started out with relaxed hair and ended up with texturized hair after a period where I wore my hair in braids/weaves for 6 months . After I took it out my hair was very resistant and around that same time I found the board and my hair has continued to be resistant since it is so healthy now. I probably have 2-4 inches of just relaxed hair still.

model_chick717

[ QUOTE ]
modelchick- how long do you leave the relaxer on for?

The reason I'm asking is because i left mine on for about 10min after applying. maybe i need to leave it on longer? But I don't want my hair over processed. BTW I used Arosci Mild

[/ QUOTE ]

zoya_j--I leave mine on about 8 minutes. But usually at some point, like every 6 months I usually have to go back over some already texturized sections because even with 8 minutes, my hair tends to not be as loose as I'd like. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jellynote

I guess we ladies have been having the same problem with the fiberguard. I'm glad that it's not just me. It seems my hair was better off when I used the original Affirm Relaxer, but I switched because Fiberguard is supposed to be for those who color treat their hair. I'm thinking about going back to the orignial or to using Mizani.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
I used the Affirm fiberguard mild to texturize my hair back in March. No curls, waves or anything, just a loosened up fluffy afro.
June hits and I do my touch up, but I bring the perm all the way out to the ends. Some parts are fabulous, other parts are just frizzy. My hair is 4A/4B, but dare I say maybe I need a new category - 4D - D as in dont want to listen!I have alot of shedding too, diidnt think of the relaxer. Im doing a touch up today and then I think Im going to switch to non fiberguard like some of you girls use, I thought fiberguard was the best. Or maybe I should do like modelchick and use a regular, and leavethe mild for 3C's or lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully the shedding you are experiencing now is due to needing a touch-up. Personally I never had any luck with Fiberguard, the first time it was frizzy, curly afro because the stylist did'nt leave it on long enough. the second time it processed all areas of my head to looser curls except the middle part, it caused a lot of breakage and shedding, i had no choice but to consider transitioning, instead I did a corrective with Affirm mild original for 5 minutes a few days ago. Today I had my hair straightened and trimmed to retard any breakage, so i'll see what happens....

model_chick717

Again, I'm not an Affirm user, but I have a lot of experience with texturizing and the different strengths of relaxers. I've tried texturizing with all three strengths and my results have been:

Mild: Usually doesn't stretch my curl but softens my hair up to where the curls are more defined--but doesn't change the size of the curl. I've usually left this on for 10 minutes.

Regular: Stretches my curl more and softens the hair which gives more shine and more of a clumping effect. I tend to leave in about 8-10 minutes.

Super: I've tried super strenght in the past only because my hair is so resistant and I thought I would give a try. Because it's pretty strong (you can feel it) I've only left in a max of 5 minutes. BUT, in that 5 minutes it really soften my hair and made look REALLY silky. It seems to stretch the curls to nice waves. I may go back to doing this on the regular every 3-4 months sometime in the future as I've been getting somewhat tired of the wild curly hair and want to be able to wear hair straight with more ease.

Nanyanika

model_chick717 Thank-you for that review of relaxer strengths, this has defintely made my mind up to try regular strength on my newgrowth in 6 months time.

sithembile

I've got 4b thick hair, and I used regular Fibregaurd mild twice and I was underpocessed, I switched to regular Affirm lye, and it was perfect. I think fibreguard may be too "weak" for some.

zoya_j

maybe i shouldn't use fiberguard and just use affirm. is there anyone who has had success with fiberguard?

kitchen_tician

I use Affirm Lye Mild - I leave it on for about 30 minutes. It's not bone straight, because I don't smooth it enough, but I like it.

sweettrini

I am a 4a/3c, I have actually never used Affirm to texturize. iused to use it when I relaxed bone straight but now that I texturize, i am using Elasta QP's lye mild and I love it. It definitely relaxes my curl patten and gives me a more defined curl pattern without getting to straight. I left in on for 10-12 mins per section, including application and smoothing.

Nanyanika

My hair usually loosens up into curls 30 min with Affirm mild, would it be around 15 minutes with regular strength lye?