WHICH METHOD IS HEALTHIER FOR RELAXED HAIR

DOMINICAN BLOW OR BLOW DRY AND FLAT IRON?

• DOMINICAN BLOW OUT

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • BLOW DRY AND FLAT IRON

Votes: 31 63.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MRJ1972

Based on your experience, which method do you think is healthier for relaxed hair:

1. Dominican Blow outs

2. Blow Dry and Flat Iron

With either method, which caused more damage and breakage, if any?

Both require heat, but my mind is telling me that although dominican blow outs are pretty, the "blowtorch" used to blow out the hair, cannot be good :ohwell:

~NanCeBoTwin~

^^^Not only that, but after a while the pulling of the NG with the brush can also cause breakage. However I am a fan of the blow out having gotten a few myself. I think if both are done in moderation and the right precautions are used both are ok.

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
The Blow Dry & Flat Iron for me, My blow dryer has a "cold air" button and I use cold air to dry it, then I flat iron on low-med, maybe only 4-5 broken hairs, and I'm rough. But, however, I blow dry maybe 6-8x Yearly and Flat Iron every 3 months.

syze6

I think both can cause some level of breakage. I have never had a blow out but if I get a blow dry, I never flat iron. I just ask them to curl it and that's it. Some places blow, flat and then curl. The best thing for the hair really is a rollerset. I have went back to them after being too lazy to sit undr the dryer for a long time.

CAPlush

I think either one can be done in a healthy way. The temperature of heat used has to be low.

*Michelle*

I honestly think neither is best, I prefer rollersets over the two, but my opinion!!!

Funny :spinning:

Of the two I would choose bdry/fi...the "fire" in db and such tension would not be okay with me. I will say the short term result of db is nice, but I can acheive that look with bdry/fi.

MRJ1972

Seems like the dominican stylists don't know of any heat setting other than FIRE!! :ohwell: Pretty results but :nono:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

So true...I got my first and LAST blow out a few weeks ago and whole time i was yelling...ouch, heeey, darn.....I was like, it all this necessary????

and my poor daughter...she's 14 she got one also and she said never again...she is transitioning, currently 14 weeks post and we were trying to take some of the puff out of her hair....We will stick with braids during her transition!!!!

MRJ1972

Funny :spinning:

Of the two I would choose bdry/fi...the "fire" in db and such tension would not be okay with me. I will say the short term result of db is nice, but I can acheive that look with bdry/fi.

Yeah, I was experimenting with the blow out...My old stylist can get the hair to look the same with a wrap, roller set, or a combo of the two...but the salon weekly salon visits are out of my budget right now and besides that, it takes hours and hours out of my life...

*Michelle*

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

So true...I got my first and LAST blow out a few weeks ago and whole time i was yelling...ouch, heeey, darn.....I was like, it all this necessary????

and my poor daughter...she's 14 she got one also and she said never again...she is transitioning, currently 14 weeks post and we were trying to take some of the puff out of her hair....We will stick with braids during her transition!!!!

I have a daughter the same age...she said the same thing...LOL! She (well I did it) BIG, BIG chopped (after she went to visit her crazy grandmother and they relaxed/over processed her hair WTH!!??), grew it out and now is relaxed SL and very healthy. I touch it up every 16 weeks.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I will take the blow dry and flat iron any day. But I like my rollerset and then wrap better, thats what I was rocking in my siggy 2/09.

camilla

:grin:
neither! try a rollerset and wrap to get straight.

:hiya: sylver2
waiting for the next vid :grin:

I agree BUT i go to the dominicans only once a month MAYBE twice.I have
a regular stylist and she knows i only want the curler marks blown out
and no heat on the ends so it is slightly curly as I wrap it loosens over a few days i only use heat every other weekend OR on special occasions :yep:

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
I was thinking of going for a blowout once a month, but am now thinking of just a rollerset and saran wrap after.

RockCreak

Have you ever had a DB. I use to get them monthly however it had my head like :heated: First they poo and apply dc and sit you under that dryer that set on 600degrees for about a half hour, rinse roll and place you back under the dryer which is cranked up to about 1000 degress. I was feeling like :couchfire: Then they take a handheld dryer that's set on 1500degrees and blow your scalp until it bleeds. Ok. Ok. I'm exaggerating but I swear that's what it feels like. But it sure looks nice.

I"ll settle for air drying and flat iron with heat protectant on low heat.

Other than that, I agree with Sylver2...rollersets...and I airdry.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
If I HAD to vote, I'd vote for blowdry (on COOL setting) and flatiron. I don't recommend blowdrying AND flatironing. One or the other will suffice. You can airdry or dry under the dryer and then flatiron.

I prefer rollersets, my hair comes out much softer

Solitude

I prefer the BLOWOUT. I don't care what people say. Blowouts helped my hair grow from chin length to past shoulder length in only 5 months. The proof is in the salon. 80-90% of the women who go to Dominican salons have APL or BSL hair and blunt, healthy ends.

If your hair is TRULY healthy, it can withstand a blowout twice a month. Flat-ironing is not the devil, either....

Air-drying can lead to tangling and it takes too long. It's all relative, but it's just funny that people who hardly ever even get blowouts are always saying that they are unhealthy.....

Encore

:lachen: at some of these comments!!

Yeah the fire from the DB is serious!! But my hair comes out sooooooo nice.:)

What I really hate is them combing thro my ng with a fine tooth comb. THAT HAD ME PiSSED I had to tell her eassy mami, wide tooth comb only!!

But to answer your question if you can manage the DB with less heat. Its better, I don't use flat irons on my hair anymore only bangs, for some reason they don't mind that heat!:ohwell:

sylver2

I prefer the BLOWOUT. I don't care what people say. Blowouts helped my hair grow from chin length to past shoulder length in only 5 months. The proof is in the salon. 80-90% of the women who go to Dominican salons have APL or BSL hair and blunt, healthy ends.

If your hair is TRULY healthy, it can withstand a blowout twice a month. Flat-ironing is not the devil, either....

Air-drying can lead to tangling and it takes too long. It's all relative, but it's just funny that people who hardly ever even get blowouts are always saying that they are unhealthy.....

ive been gong to Dominican salons since 1987.
Not everyones hair can take that and It has nothing to do with someoens hair not being TRULY healthy to withstand a blowout daily. Everyones hair is different.
I watch many a family member and friends hair over the years thrive at first but the constant blowouts caused them not to retain the length they did gain. Their hair was healthy. My hair is healthy...but i ain't messing with them daily blowouts like that. That high direct heat combined with the roundbrush is murder affter awhile.
Congrats on your progress:yep: glad its working for you

IMHO the blowout works great on hair that is not many weeks post...That way there isn't much pulling.

That said, I have seen some NATURALLY straight/wavy haired ladies with NO EDGES because of weekly blowouts.

Some hair can handle it...but I wouldn't recommend doing it regularly and I wouldn't recommend doing it if you expect it to swaaang even at mucho weeks post relaxer because in order for that to happen you may need several thousand passes of the blow dryer and even then you may still be disappointed....

I've also seen a salon resort to flat ironing after the blowout to make it extra silky and control all the hairs that had just been broken.... (tear)

Yeah, and I didn't vote...cause I've seen many a stylists rip through a head of hair with that blowdryer and comb attachment, only to lay it slick with the flatiron...

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Deleted.... I see I already commented a while back :giggle:

Last edited:

MsChelle

Lord knows I loves me some heat in my hair (still working on kickin the habit) . And I have never had a Dominican Blowout but......from what I have read on this site I am scared to get one done!!! All I can picture is a blow torch in my mind.........So, my opinion is blow dry and flat iron would be better. You can blow dry on the cool setting (seems to be less heat than the DB).

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
The lesser of the two evils would be blowdrying/ flat ironing IMO. I was set to get a blowout, but then I saw some videos of women getting their hair done. I watched in horror....does that much smoke really happen? :nono: