which one is worse blow dryer using a comb/ flat iron.

Tara G.

Hey ladies who use heat....which one do you think is worse.

1.Blow drying wet hair with a comb
(or)
2.Flat ironing air dried hair

I am thinking blow drying wet hair with a comb is worse as hair is weakest when it is wet.Whilst flat ironing air dried hair does alot less damage to hair.

I know heat should be avoided but im finding it hard to resist it..so im trying to figure out which method does the least damage to my hair after washing it...

Any takes on this?Sorry if there is a thread already like this lurking..if there is just send me the link.

TIA

amwcah

Good question! I'm wondering too.

I'm thinking blow drying wet hair because your hair is more fragile when wet.

***Toy-Pisces***

Good question??? If you must use heat how about:

Partially airdrying and then blowdry on low with a heat protectant. Just a suggestion. I don't blow dry so...HTH.

Misseyl

Yep, they are both bad, but I remember ruining my hair w/the blowdryer, so I'm going to say blowdrying.

ChocoKitty

IMO blowdrying wet with a comb. I blowdry damp hair without a comb. I just use tension. After the hair is dry I comb through then proceed with a flat iron.

Tara G.

ive never thought about using tension....good idea !!! hopefully we will get a good discussion going.thanks for your quick responses.

PinkSkates

ChocoKittyIMO blowdrying wet with a comb. I blowdry damp hair without a comb. I just use tension. After the hair is dry I comb through then proceed with a flat iron.
ITA.
That's what I do also. You should never blow dry your while it is soaking wet. Not even white girls can get away with that. A blow dryer is to be used on damp towel-dried hair. If you use a blow dryer properly, then I think its better than the air-dried hair with flat iron usage. Because then your're using indirect heat instead of direct heat.

Divine Inspiration

I say blowdrying wet hair w/ a comb is most damaging. Those combs tend to rip wet, fragile strands. :nono:

Both methods involve direct heat, but airdrying w/ the flat iron would be a healthier choice, IMO.

Tara G.

pinkskates said:
ITA.
That's what I do also. You should never blow dry your while it is soaking wet. Not even white girls can get away with that. A blow dryer is to be used on damp towel-dried hair. If you use a blow dryer properly, then I think its better than the air-dried hair with flat iron usage. Because then your're using indirect heat instead of direct heat.

what do you consider using a blow dryer properly?

PinkSkates

That's the term I got from my hair book and the author states,... "Do not begin styling your hair with a blow dryer when it (hair) is sopping wet. Hair is at its most vunerable and is most pront to damage when it is combed and manipulated while soaking wet. Let air air dry or at least blot as much water out of the hair before you begin to blow dry". She states that she has seen so many woman blow dry their hair while it is soaking wet which is the improper way of drying the hair with a blow dryer. That's what I meant when I used the term.

sareca

I ruined my hair with the blowdrier too. I airdry about 60-70% in plaits, then blowdry straight on meduim/low, then flatiron (or press or caruso).

sprungonhairboards

I can only speak for myself and I absolutely can NOT blowdry my hair. My hair is so hard, crispy and dry afterwards even when I use low heat, heat protectant, serums and moisturizers. It takes days to get my hair back balanced. I never use a blow dryer. I'll Sedu the heck out of it though.