Who can blowdry and use heat without significant..

skegeesmb

Damage? I've blowndry, hot curled, and done numerous terrible things to my hair and it still grew. I've chopped of a great deal of my hair, but I seem to retain length even if I use heat. I'm wondering if there is anyone here on this site that can do the same thing. If you look at my pictures, my hair has grown regardless of the heat hell I put it through.

I was also wondering about Mr. John's techniques. I'm interested in them, and I would like to try them. I'm kind of broke, so I have to wait until I get a little bit of money. Who uses the book with success? And are there any salons besides Detroit?

hairfanatic

Hi skegeesmb,

I am one that has no damage. I will say this my ends were starting to break off but it was because of this Teflon Curling Iron I was using and the Teflon started peeling off and buring my hair.

I usually blowdry on cold and guess what? I just bought the Jberi Ceremic Curling iron and my hair was so silky and smooth. It seems like I didn't even have to use high heat. I had it on 10.

I also use Mr. John's Techniques along with Wanakees. The book is $13.95 and basically that's all you need. I am having good success. I will post another picture in January.

pebbles

Hi skegeesmb,

I wish I could say that I could use heat without damaging my hair, but I can't. I've had to give up blow driers and curling irons. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Fortunately, my hair has greatly benefited from it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LondonDiva

**raises hand** ME!! I can use them with no problem. I hate curling irons but blowdryers aren't exactly my favourite appliance, and I don't use them too often. Airdrying makes my hair too frizzy but if I blowdry when damp with some sort of product in it, I have no problem. The ceramic flat iron is another heat appliance I want to get. I had a teflon flat iron and it was so crap.

VALLEYGIRL

When I was a child (3rd grade- like 6th grade) I know they would wash my hair and blowdry it. And I always had long thick hair...but I guess why I didn't have damage is b/c they were not trying to get it bone straight. I also only did it once a week, once every two weeks tops.
I also didn't use any curling irons during the week either and my hair stayed braided or twisted up most of the time.

Now I try to only blow dry once a month 2 times if I am being bad. And I try to roll my ends up instead of using the curling iron.

Valleygirl

MissM

I have to blow dry and flat iron my hair. I got so tired of sitting under the bonnet dryer for an hour and a half and struggling to stay awake and having to turn this way and that to make sure my hair was dry all the way. I would like to go back to roller sets but I'll have to wait until after I get married in March where I'll have some free money to purchase a stand up dryer. Basically I notice that if I keep my hair well moisturized that I really don't have a problem. It's definitely not for everyone though. But it's a lot quicker and convenient for me to blow dry than roller set now.

msmerc

I usually blow dry after my hair has airdired about 80 percent. I then iron. I have suffered no damage. I always make sure my hair is well moisturized.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
crazyabouthair said:
Who is Mr. John and what is his technique? TIA
Hey crazyabouthair, where have you been hiding? :naughty:

I just checked out your album and you have some beautiful, thick hair!!! :yep:

taraglam2

I love the blow dryer---my hair is doing well and I have been using the blowdryer non-stop since the beginning of March along with my Revlon Flat Iron. [ From Jan 05 to March 05 -- Rollersets galore!!! ] I had just been thinking --maybe some hair types can stand the blow dryer and modified ceramic flat iron heat? While I lived in Germany--I never ever rollerset my hair--blowdryer non-stop and my hair grew to bra strap--no problems.

Poohbear

ebony88 said:
I love the blow dryer---my hair is doing well and I have been using the blowdryer non-stop since the beginning of March along with my Revlon Flat Iron. [ From Jan 05 to March 05 -- Rollersets galore!!! ] I had just been thinking --maybe some hair types can stand the blow dryer and modified ceramic flat iron heat? While I lived in Germany--I never ever rollerset my hair--blowdryer non-stop and my hair grew to bra strap--no problems.
Hey! I didn't start rollersetting my hair until I was a senior in high school. I went on a summer program where these girls rollersetted my hair for the first time. I just started practicing when I was a senior in high school, then stopped (can be time-consuming when in college). I started back rollersetting after joining this forum.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I haven't blown my hair dry in several years, but when I did I didn't have a problem with maintaining or getting length. I was just a little past bra strap. I'd get tired of it and cut it to my shoulders and it would grow back again. I now usually either airdry or use a bonnet dryer to dry it, then use a jilbere ceramic flat iron on it. I use it on 10, but it goes up to 30. I just make sure I use a heat protectant on it and only flat iron when my hair is clean.

Poohbear

crazyabouthair said:
Hey Poohbear, I've been doing more lurking than posting. I don't have an album so you must have checked out someone elses.
OOPS!!! :blush: It was msmerc's album I checked out! :lol: She mad a post right before you did. Sorry about that! :weird:

crazyabouthair

For those who use heat without damage what are you using for protection. I bought the leave in conditioner from kerastase (Lait Nutri Sculpt, use to be called Nutri Liss) which is suppose to protect during blow drying. I've used it a couple of times on dry hair before hot curling and it seems to work nicely, gives a lot of body. I find that it works better if you apply it section by section right before you curl tha putting all throughout the hair first.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I use New Image Damage Free before flatironing once a week. I also use a setting on the low end (10) and it goes up to 30. I don't get split ends that way and it still straightens effectively.

balisi

To those ladies who achieved and retained length despite heat styling, was it QUALITY length? You know, were the ends full, with minimal or no split ends?

sexylonglegs

I Think you ladies are on to something.

I have always used heat on my hair my whole life, but there is one or two things I did not know until I joined this site like shampooing frequently, conditioning and protein treatments and definitely definitely moisturizing. I can say since I have started using quality products like Nexxus the blow drying and hot curling does not bother my hair. I noticed before when i would not use protein and conditioners I would have broken hairs all over the floor and in the sink, but now when I blow dry or comb my hair seems to be fine and I get some shedding and breakage but nothing like I use to because i was so uneducated about my hair. I think using heat is not good for the hair but if your taking care of your hair and not using flat irons and curling irons every day you should be fine.

good luck ladies :grin: l

webby

Think Slim
I don't have any damage from my blower, in fact I suffer more damage when I let my hair airdry. I get major frizzies, which leads to excessive drying, which leads to breakage.

Of course, I only blow my roots. Also, the hard-hat hair dryer that I use does not get HOT, so I am not applying heat, to already heated hair.

Stormy

I blowdry and use hot curlers with no problems. I always put my blow dryer on low and use Carrot Oil or some kind of protectant. I usually use a dab of some type of oil for hotcurling. No damage or breakage, unless I hot curl too often.

HoneyDew

bumping for more replies.

Airdrying does not give me to look I want and I don't have time to rollerset.

Blowdrying with silicone and a little oil is really working for me, but since blowdryers are viewed by so many as Weapons of Mass Destruction, I get scared.

This thread is encouraging for me, though.

Anybody else out there?

edited to add:

my pics below show my hair after a blowdry with a diffuser which I don't prefer. I LOVE using the comb attachment instead.

Last edited:

MysTori

Hi Ladies!

I'm glad someone thought enough to create this thread. I, too, do not have a problem with WMD's (lol, my new term thanks to HoneyDew!), blow dryers and flat irons in particular.
Airdry=Fragile Hair=Major Breakage. I get less breakage, if any, when I blowdry. However, recently I read here about blow drying hair on cool setting. I did that until it is 85% dry, then turn on the heat. My hair came out smooth and pliable that way. That's a technique I'm keeping. Thanks for the tips ladies. Anyway, I agree that not all things are for all people. Learn your hair and make a decision based on that, not popular opinion.

HoneyDew

teressa9 said:
Hi Ladies!

I'm glad someone thought enough to create this thread. I, too, do not have a problem with WMD's (lol, my new term thanks to HoneyDew!), blow dryers and flat irons in particular.
Airdry=Fragile Hair=Major Breakage. I get less breakage, if any, when I blowdry. However, recently I read here about blow drying hair on cool setting. I did that until it is 85% dry, then turn on the heat. My hair came out smooth and pliable that way. That's a technique I'm keeping. Thanks for the tips ladies. Anyway, I agree that not all things are for all people. Learn your hair and make a decision based on that, not popular opinion.

You know, that cool setting blowdry really was a great idea. I tried it lastnight and my hair turned out very well. I hated that I had to tie it up for bed. :)

Ya know I haven't tried a blow drier in about 1.5 years now, but I recall lowering the heat on it did help my hair not to dry out so much. Now I am retaining length and actually growing my hair longer and more healthy than ever before-its now 4 inches past my shoulders! Thank you everyone on this forum!

I use heat religiously. Once a week in the form of a wet to dry flat iron from Tourmaline (T3). I am in love with this item. I flat iron from towel dried to finished styled hair in about 45 mins. This is now 15min longer than what I was spending last year because my hair has really grown!

Still, what I have learned from members of this board is to moisturize!!!! I learned to keep my hair's moisture level at around 8%. I do this by using a heat protectant when flat ironing (Farouk's Silk- Sally's knock off version and coconut oil). And, every evening I mist my hair (especially my ends) with a water and oil mixture (Premire's Rose Conditioner, but I'm sure plain water and a good oil like coconut oil would do just fine). I now roll my hair in one rag/sponge curler at the top of my head (Wrap-Snap-and- Go curlers) every night. This way if I am running late in the morning my hair is already set and I will wear it in a loose pony tail held up with a circular comb about 10 inches in diameter ( I buy these in a package of 3 at Walmart). I just remove the curler and finger fluff my hair/ pony tail and go. If I have time to spare, I will set my hair on Caruso rollers and wear it down and out for the day. On rare occasion, I may need to bump the edges of my hair line or create some tendrils/curly locks with a ceramic curling iron to make my pony tail appear more like a fancy up do. But after all of this- no damage to my hair!!!