The 'Proper' Way to Blowdry

butter_pecan

Hi guys. I just wondered if you all had any blowdrying tips. Usually when I blowdry my hair, it's really puffy and dry-looking. It looks bad until I flatiron it. My life would be so much easier if it were smoother after I finished.

I use a blowdryer -regular, not super hot, with a concentrator and a round brush for straighter parts of my hair; and a paddle brush for more difficult areas. I use heat protectant/serum (Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide? I believe that's the name of it).

So any products, drying techniques, etc., are greatly appreciated.

Muchas gracias chicas! :grin:

Last edited:

vkb247

I don't know much about using heat but I check out youtube for these type of tips so I can see it being done and see what type of results it gets.

Sonye93

(MY FIRST POST, YAY ME!)
I'm a newbie that has decided to finally stop lurking, but I may be of help. Umm, do you blow-dry with a comb attachment, or use a concentrator with round brush? People find that that works. Also, the products used beforehand may affect the outcome. Maybe if you listed what you use before blow-drying a hair guru will give more advice.

Hope you find your answer!

butter_pecan

(MY FIRST POST, YAY ME!)
I'm a newbie that has decided to finally stop lurking, but I may be of help. Umm, do you blow-dry with a comb attachment, or use a concentrator with round brush? People find that that works. Also, the products used beforehand may affect the outcome. Maybe if you listed what you use before blow-drying a hair guru will give more advice.

Hope you find your answer!

Good point! I'll edit my post

foxieroxienyc

My pic below is from Blowdrying, and I do it when I flat iron (and when I'm freshly relaxed for the first 6 weeks, NO flat iron following). My hair comes out pretty straight and I'm 4-ish relaxed, fine hair.

I deep condition first and foremost, but I also wash/condition during the week, so from the start my hair gets a lot of moisture, and that's key to combat the dryness. After my last rinse out, I apply leave-in's (yes plural - Aphogee Leave-in Conditioner Spray, Sebastian Potion 9, and a little bit of Salerm 21). Next I dry my hair using a wide tooth comb and the dryer set on a low/warm heat and speed. I dry it until it is 80% dry. I then clip it all up to the top of my head, and section it off one small section at a time. I use the round brush and the concentrated nozzle to straighten the hair. I try to keep it on a warm heat and medium speed so it's not too hot. But honestly I can get it straighter with a higher temp. I only do that though if I'm not going to flat iron.

In general I make sure the hair is pulled pretty taught on the brush (not enough to break it though), and keep it sweeping down to the ends as I follow with the dryer. So I don't hold on any sections of the hair for too long. I may do it 1-2x until I get the desired straightness. When I'm done, I sometimes put in a small drop of salerm 21 to the ends. Sometimes I just wear it blown out straight and go, sometimes I flat iron (usually during weeks 7-12 of my stretch), or I'll just forget the flat iron and just use my caruso rollers to complete styling. More often I skip the flat iron though.

My hair hasn't suffered at all, and I've been using the blow dryer from the beginning of my journey. My hair only really behaves with heat, and when it's straight...