Who Doesn't Use Gel for Wash n Gos? Help!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
It seems my hair only likes kinky curl custard for wash n gos. I hate the fact that it dries and gives me a hard head of hair.:ohwell: Can you ladies give me any suggestions on how to get a soft defined hair after wash n gos. I believe I am a 4ab mix because my hair doesn't curl up easily with gel. I am trying to stretch the amount of gel I have until used up more of the other products I have. :blush: Eco olive oil used to work for me. I don't know if they changed the formula or what.

LovinLea

I haven't been using it lately. I don't comb when I cowash for a wash-n-go and then I just use my HE LTR leave-in.

AHeadOfCoils

I'm 4a/4b and I thought conditioner alone wouldn't do anything for my curl definition until I tried a thick conditioner like HE HH with castor oil. My curls are defined yet soft. I mix the two and then smooth them onto wet hair without disturbing my curl pattern. It dries perfectly coiled/curled. I also get subtle definition from just adding a thick moisturizer to soaking wet hair after a co-wash.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
The only way I could get "definition" was when my curls were filled with moisture. You also might want to try a sample of Aveda's Be Curly Prep lotion (pump). My hair tends to curl up soooo quickly with that stuff.

Charz

Sinister Minister
DD I loved KCCC for wash and goes, but I had to put an oil on top to counteract the crunch. Have you tried sealing with an oil after putting the KCCC on?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
It seems my hair only likes kinky curl custard for wash n gos. I hate the fact that it dries and gives me a hard head of hair.:ohwell: Can you ladies give me any suggestions on how to get a soft defined hair after wash n gos. I believe I am a 4ab mix because my hair doesn't curl up easily with gel. I am trying to stretch the amount of gel I have until used up more of the other products I have. :blush: Eco olive oil used to work for me. I don't know if they changed the formula or what.

Shelley suggest using the KKKT before applying the KKCC.

Try that and see how it works.

DDTexlaxed

I am a little confused.

IN the original post you say you have problems with hard hair after using KKKC, then in your response to me you say no other conditioner works as great with it.

I use KKCC and KT together. Another poster must have thought I didn't and suggested I use the 2 together. Gel makes my hair dry hard, so I'm looking to find another way to define my curls. If I can't find one, I will be wearing hard curls.:ohwell:

Your Cheeziness

Didn't you just BC recently down to a short length? If so, your hair may need more growth for curl definition..or it simple does not have defined curls. Everyone's hair doesn't have easy curl definition. Also, do you have any straight pieces left on your ends? That will affect it, too.

See my siggy for my bc at 5 months post. Even when I was 7 months post, my wash-n-go looked like a shrunken helmet with no definition. And then this pic at 11 months post wash n go. I had the same issue you are having, it just took time for my hair to grow.

More wash n go pics in this thread.
I'd focus on moisture at this point. To lessen the crunch of gel, apply a little oil as a base.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I use KKCC and KT together. Another poster must have thought I didn't and suggested I use the 2 together. Gel makes my hair dry hard, so I'm looking to find another way to define my curls. If I can't find one, I will be wearing hard curls.:ohwell:

That was me that suggested it. You did not say if you used something with the KKKC that is why I wrote to use it.

It seems like you are getting hard hair even after using the two together. Are you using the KKKT and then applying the KKKC? Sometimes using too much can cause hard hair you have to play around with it see how much you need.

Another suggestion once hair is dry take a oil an run it over the hair to reduce the hardness.

Also when I was natural and wanted to define my curls I would use Qhemet Biologics amla and olive creme that gave me nice moisturized hair until my wash day.

DDTexlaxed

Thanks to all the suggestions. I am going to be experimenting to cut down the PJ tendencies I've allowed to develop. If I can tweak my TWA and get the same look as KKCC, I could save myself some $$$. I don't mind paying if I get the results, but when my hair gets longer, I would like to see if another product could come close or even get the same look.:ohwell:

EllePixie

I used KCCC with Oyin Honey Hemp. For me, it's WAY better than Knot today and my curls dry much softer.

I can also use the Honey Hemp alone. Other curl cremes I use that dry soft are Komaza Califia Styling Pudding and Donna Marie Dream Curling Creme. However, I'm not sure how these would work for you because curl definition is not really what I look for in a product.

Evolving78

i can use moisturizers and leave-in, but my hair texture is coily without product. anything water-based gives me more definition. i like the Oyin Handmade Hair Dew, Knot Today, Kid's Organic Detangling Lotion, Taliah Waajid Detangler, a moisturizing conditioner, etc....

prettybyrd

I've found that method sometimes matters more than the product. For example, for me, JPM Foaming Pommade on DAMP hair = frizzy dry hair but JPM Foaming Pommade on WET hair = beautiful coils for days!

Also, after you apply the product that you are going to use on your hair, don't keep touching your hair or manipulating it. Let the product "set" or else you will be frizzy/lack definition.

HTH :)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i dont use gel for many reasons but i do use a conditioner that has aloe vera gel or juice high in the ingredients. not aloe alone or added to an already made conditioner

i noticed this after a long time of experimentation. other conditioners leave my hair too poofy or give a grey cast when dry. i like my hair to be as defined as possible while having tons of volume and movement and this gives me CONSISTENT results.

the gel in the conditioner allows it to give hold with the moisturizing properties of the conditioner. i also found that they are less likely to leave the hair "ashy" after the conditioner has dried. the effect isnt the same as adding aloe to a regular conditioner.
perhaps there is some type of emulsifier or something that helps to mix the two together but i have no time for bathroom sink chemistry LOL

Tamrin

unapologetic

I use the Curls Creme Brulee for this one and nothing else. I will be 8 months post BC tomorrow.

KCCC makes my hair hard. I do like Aloe Vera Gel and Glycerine spray on top.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

^^^ Napp, thank you so much! You're inspiring me to try some new combos with my hair. I tried the conditioner method and my hair looked ashy and ugly. :look: All the ladies who also answered, I truly appreciate it.:yep:

AdoreMsK67

I want to try the KC line, but haven't gotten around to buying it yet..I went on youtube to find some of the different ways people use the Ecostyler Gel, I found one that mixes EcoStyler with curl activator, like a 2:1 ratio. I did half and half (Ecostlyer & Long aid Curl activator) and it's working out pretty well...It still needs a few adjustments..but I like the hold and moisture levels.

I shampoo
oil rinse
condition
detangle with HH LTR leave in
Vatika oil for sealing
then apply the mix of gel and activator

I'm almost 2 months post BC and 23 months since last relaxer..so I'm still learning about my hair..but I hope this helps a little..

ETA: Gives good Curl defintion too..I know that was your original question..

Last edited:

renren

I want to try the KC line, but haven't gotten around to buying it yet..I went on youtube to find some of the different ways people use the Ecostyler Gel, I found one that mixes EcoStyler with curl activator, like a 2:1 ratio. I did half and half (Ecostlyer & Long aid Curl activator) and it's working out pretty well...It still needs a few adjustments..but I like the hold and moisture levels.

I shampoo
oil rinse
condition
detangle with HH LTR leave in
Vatika oil for sealing
then apply the mix of gel and activator

I'm almost 2 months post BC and 23 months since last relaxer..so I'm still learning about my hair..but I hope this helps a little..

ETA: Gives good Curl defintion too..I know that was your original question..

This :yep:.

I use a mixture of gel and curl activator (world of curls) and it does make my hair hard. However I use a creamy leave-in/moisturiser then seal with oil/grease then apply the gel mixture. But you many have to experiment with the ratios a bit.

HTH

ETA: LOL I meant it DOES NOT make my hair hard.... I make so many mistakes in my posts when Im in the office trying to do work at the same time. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited: