Who Doesn't Use Gel for Wash n Gos? Help!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I got Jane Carter's Condition and Sculpt from the vitamin Shoppe today. I used conditioner under it and added gel on top and now I have soft defined curls. That's one combo that worked for me. I had to get the clear eco gel from Sallys. That one is working better for my hair than the olive oil one. Go figure.:ohwell: I absolutely love the smell of JC Condition Sculpt.:lick:

choctaw

This :yep:.

I use a mixture of gel and curl activator (world of curls) and it does make my hair hard. However I use a creamy leave-in/moisturiser then seal with oil/grease then apply the gel mixture. But you many have to experiment with the ratios a bit.

HTH

I combine skala aloe vera leave-in conditioner with smooth n shine curl activator and it dries without crunching. HTH

ajargon02

It seems my hair only likes kinky curl custard for wash n gos. I hate the fact that it dries and gives me a hard head of hair.
It sounds like you are using too much product or not applying correctly. I know that I use the kckt 1st, then kccc, and I don't need a lot to make the curls pop. For me, the key is to apply on soaking wet hair.

I apply in the shower while hair is dripping with a smoothing motion for both products, then right before I get out, I shake, and voila, curls that dry streched and soft until I wash my hair.

To revive it, at night, I spritz with water, and put my hair in several fat twists. In the morning, I take out the twists, do a quick drench of the hair, shake and it's good to go till I wash it out.

I believe I am a 4ab mix because my hair doesn't curl up easily with gel.

I don't really get into hair typing, but I know that I am a 4 if I HAD to choose. My hair acts the same with gel and conditioner for wng's (wash-n-go's) as it does with kckt and kccc. For me, the only difference is the amt of shrinkage that I get, since I am a natural.

Eco olive oil used to work for me.

My hair doesn't like olive oil anything really. But I have used ecostyler clear gel, ic fantasia with sparkle lites, dippity do among other gels. Idk, I get the same results. I think that it's cause I my technique. My hiar doesn't like the denman for wng's nor the finger rake-n-shake method. Smoothing the hair from root to tip ( similar to what ppl say they do for relaxer application ) with product lightly covering each section, and taking smaller sections to apply works like a charm everytime for me. HTH :)

Zaz

I don't really aim for curl definition but this might help. I'm pretty hair lazy so I only do wash n gos and I've used different products on and off:

If you go to a regular BSS instead of Sally's they'll have a wider selection of Eco styler with different holds. I only use the clear or olive oil when I pull my hair back because they have a hold of 10 or you can put in a bit of serum/oil to lessen the crunch for a WnG. But otherwise I use a blue one with a hold of 5 I think for colour treated hair, it dries softer.
I like Eco styler, it's the cheapest gel around and it works but the PJ in me keeps trying different (more expensive) things:lol:. But I'll only mention non gels here.

Herbal essences Totally twisted mousse
John Frieda Take charge curl boosting mousse
Suave Healthy curls scrunching mousse (compare to redken)

Simply organic gurl Curl defining crème (I got this on clearance at Target not sure if it's available anywhere else but I really like it)

I've used a couple of Marc Anthony products that I get from Ulta, the Curl Defining Lotion and Curl Envy Perfect Curl Cream

Suave Sleek anti frizz creme (compare to Matrix)
GVP Sleek look extreme styling creme (compare to Matrix)

There's probably more, I'll come back and eta if I can think of anything, hth.

Last edited: