who else is 4a with ITTY BITTY coils???

Don't be confused. This is my personal assessment of my hair. Call your hair whatever you'd like.

I say I'm a 4b because most of the products and techniques used by them works for my hair a lot better.

I just feel like people who fall into the 4a category (at least on this board) are usually concerned with curl definition. I'm not because even if they were all perfectly defined at the same time, you wouldn't be able to see them anyways since they are so small. I'd would never do a wash and go, that's just asking for it with my hair.

I'm about 98%. lol:grin: I'm fighting to keep my ends.

I haven't relaxed in 2 years, but the sides and front of my hair still have about 5" of relaxed ends. The relaxed ends in the back already broke off.:perplexed

Oh okay.

But yea, I think there are lots of variations within the categories. Me, I have straw size coils (maybe even some coffee stirrer size mixed in), but my texture is on the finer side, which at first made me think I was 3c--but that's not the case. I do have 3c at my nape--and those curls are a little bigger than straw/pencil size, but the rest is all 4a, IMO.

Don't be confused. This is my personal assessment of my hair. Call your hair whatever you'd like.

I say I'm a 4b because most of the products and techniques used by them works for my hair a lot better.

I just feel like people who fall into the 4a category (at least on this board) are usually concerned with curl definition. I'm not because even if they were all perfectly defined at the same time, you wouldn't be able to see them anyways since they are so small. I'd would never do a wash and go, that's just asking for it with my hair.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. :yep: 4A can be concerned because the curls are relatively easy to discern even from afar. 4B, it's not so much that way. That's not to say that 4Bs should disregard the notion of curl definition, but it does mean that it's not important since most can't tell anyway! :yep: But I will say, I do sport WNG every single day because I am stylistically challenged :ohwell:. It requires that I co-wash every day, too, but that's had a tremendously awesome effect on my hair's health in the past few months. :yep: Oh, and one other thing - even though I'm not as worried about definition, I sometimes feel that when 4B hair isn't well taken care of, it looks much worse than 4A or other hair types that are equally neglected, because 4B requires so much moisture. I've seen a lot of 4Bs looking tow up. That's why I'm so appreciative of Mwedzi and Nonie and Mscococface's pictures (hopefully when I get a digital camera for Christmas, I can add myself to this 4B esteemed list. :look:). There are tons more on nappturality that are very inspiring, too. :yep:

Last edited:
I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. :yep: 4A can be concerned because the curls are relatively easy to discern even from afar. 4B, it's not so much that way. But I will say, I do sport WNG every single day because I am stylistically challenged :ohwell:. It requires that I co-wash every day, too, but that's had a tremendously awesome effect on my hair's health in the past few months. :yep:

I guess I have my own variation of a wash and go. I cowash the night before. The I put in my moisturizer and put my hair into ponypuffs all over my head, slap on my satin bonnet and go to sleep. Fluff and wear in the morning.

I don't like to let my hair dry unmanipulted cause I'm scared :perplexed.

Yeah, and it has taken me a while to learn how to take care of my hair. It's hard to make sure that it's actually moisturized, and I have to keep fighting breakage and tiny knots.

I'm in need of a trim because my ends look raggedy because of all the mentioned reasons.

Last edited:
Your hair is gorgeous!

This is why I call myself 4A/B. A lot of people have tried to tell me that I'm strictly 4A, but there are plenty of areas in my head that look just like yours...there appears to be no pattern when dry with no product, but very coily when well moisturized and stretched.:yep:

Lauren your hair reminds me of my brothers hair. It's like the perfect mixture of 4a and 4b.

Oh no, the 4a vs. 4b debate has resurfaced!

Pookie I'll say that you might want to hold off on making conclusions based on that tiny coil. There are spots where my hair will do that, and I've found the world's tiniest coils around my edges. I mean, they are tiny. They make a coffee stirrer look big. But that's not the size of the kinks/coils on the rest of my head, for the most part. The others range from coffee stirrer size at the smallest, pen spring at the largest.

As to the never-ending 4a and 4b debate, Nonie and I always disagree. :) But I've tried more things on my hair than Nonie has (a superset of what she's tried, as far as I can tell) and I can say with high degree of certainty that my hair does not clump the way hers does in that pic of perfect spirals lying on her forehead. Some level of clumping, yes. Like that, nope. Not every 4b's hair is the same, same thing for 4as. This is a good example after many days of cowashing and/or water rinsing with no combing. This is one of the most clumping part of my hair at its maximum clumpage. At it moves closer to the root, fewer and fewer hairs form part of any coil clump.

who said anything about a debate??? i was trying to find coil twins!! :grin:

BTW, the pics were taken on my air-dried hair, of the section i purposely didn't relax last touch-up. and those were just the coils by my ears, on both sides of my head. my whole head isn't that way (the majority of my coils are closer to eyeliner pencil sized, or S shaped), but that's what those coils look like.

all i wanted to know was if i had coil buddies, and y'all tryin to have a world class debate! :lachen:

Wowww... and I thought mine were small.. I just wish there was a product out there that could allow us to define those tiny curls without it getting frizzy. That would look BEAUTIFUL!

... my itty bitty coils are already beautiful... :grin:

some of y'all are lightweight making me feel bad... :ohwell:

My coils look exactly like yours, poookie, for a good portion of my head
My nape has much less curl though

My hair looks just like hers also. The are a mother to detangle. And when i wash every 2 weeks the inside of my hair is filled with these. They suck and are why i did my corrective. I could never get them to me straight and Stay straight. I have made post in the past referring to them.

My coils look exactly like yours, poookie, for a good portion of my head
My nape has much less curl though

oh! are you talking about my nape in my siggy?
those are all relaxed pics! my new growth curls come in as small coils.

I have tiny coils like that, but they are not hardly that defined. I don't even this I have a real curl pattern. mine just look like a fuzz - no matter what curl product or gel or anything. your curl pattern is really cute.

oh! are you talking about my nape in my siggy?
those are all relaxed pics! my new growth curls come in as small coils.
On, no, I wasnt referring to your siggy, I knew those were relaxed hair pics
I was saying my nape does have that pretty coily hair like that
Mine barely coils :ohwell:

Back