What Is Your Hair Type & Regimen?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I haven't seen a thread quite like this and I'm hoping that it can be helpful for others. Please participate!

1. Describe your hair in detail.
  • Basics: natural, relaxed, or texturized? porosity? density? strand thickness? curl size?
  • Other details: protein loving/hating? curls clumps easily? silky or coarse feeling? Whatever makes your hair, YOUR hair.

2. What is your regimen (not product specific)? Is it set or are you still experimenting?

3. What advice would you give someone with hair just like yours?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll go first.

1. Describe your hair in detail.
  • Basics: Natural, low porosity, normal density, very thick strands, 3c/4a (pencil to sharpie sized curls).
  • Other details: My hair can't handle much protein or glycerin and I must use gel to get curl clumpage. Without product I have a few silky sections, but it is mostly cottony with lots of sheen, but no shine. My hair is prone to product buildup and resistant to chemicals (color and relaxers). No matter how much gel I use, I never get crispy hair. In fact, it is the one product my hair seems to drink up.

2. What is your regimen (not product specific)? Is it set or are you still experimenting?

1-x weekly:
Prepoo with heat or overnight
Sulfate free shampoo
Protein free DC with heat (steam, heat cap, or hooded dryer)
Leave in my DC and seal/style with gel.

In between washes when if I need moisture, I mist my hair with a water based product, cover with a plastic cap and scarf, then let it absorb over night. I do a protein treatment every 4-8 weeks.

My regimen is set. I only experiment with products.

3. What advice would you give someone with hair just like yours?
  • Heat is your friend when it comes to conditioning. Use heat when prepooing, conditioning, and after applying leave ins.
  • Use protein sparingly
  • You'll need heavy products to weigh down and tame your hair when styling. I use a heavy gel because it can seal in moisture, smooth my strands, and lock in my styles.

Last edited: