Who Here Uses Only Organic/Natural ...

B

ballet_bun

hair care products in their regimen? I'm thinking about making the switch, once I use up my current stash
lick.gif
. I have the following questions:

1. Did you notice a markable difference between the salon/... products vs. the organic/natural?(ie. product quality, improvement in the overall condition in your hair ... )

2. Increase in hair growth?

3. which organic/natural lines do you use and which do you avoid, and why?

Can't wait to hear from you!!!

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

not relaxed, but i mainly use 'organic' lines - as in no petroluem, mineral oil, isoproyl derivitives and whatnot.

most of the products i make myself (when in europe there's only so much products for black hair, hein?)... overall i have seen improvements in softness (hair is softer, not greasy), elasticity and it doesn't get dirty as much as it used to.

my favorate 'clean' products are MOP, LUSH, aubrey's, J/A/S/O/N/S in addition to stuff that i make for myself (mostly pomades and spritzes) - made from e.o.'s, base oils and butters.

yours

ana

Where in Europe are you? I live in Norway, and I can't find Aubrey Organics here. I will probably have to order it from the states.

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

Is there a place for us ladies on this side of the ocean to get/order Aubrey Organics? OR ... are we stuck ordering from the states?

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

Nonie ... thanks for posting that link. I guess if I had been paying attention, when I was at their site today, I would have seen in myself
nuts.gif

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

I have just started looking into organic hair products. It is funny, I would go into Wild Oats or other health/natural stores to buy organic produce but nothing else.
Anywhoo, I like the Aubrey and Giovanni line. I have not tried any of the Jason's (70% organic) products but I heard they were good too.

I only use natural products. I only use Aubrey Organics. I avoid mineral oil, petroleum oil, and any name I can't read or recognize.

I can not provide you with good feedback because I switched to natural products around the same time I went natural, therefore I can't tell you what percentage of my hair health can be attributed to natural products and what percentage can be attributed to natural hair.
smile.gif

I'm a product junky and have tried just about all of it.

I love Aubrey Organics. I also like Kemi Oyl's shea butter and conditioning spray...though I'm leary about how natural it is b/c it doesn't list the ingredients specifically. I also like Carol's Daughter. I'm going to try Elucence soon.

ETA: I just got my Elucence in the mail and found that it is no where near natural. Lots of preservatives and things just like you find at the store! I'm highly upset!

I went on a natural kick for a while sulfate free shampoos etc but my hair didnt really feel right...quite dry. I was using avalon lavendar shampoo and got to the point where I couldnt face using it anymore it was like hair abuse (makes a lovely shower gel though)
I would definitely use jasons sea kelp shampoo again though and I want to buy some avocado oil. My hair needs a mixture of products not just natural stuff. Mineral oil, 'cones' and petroleum dont phase me at all.

hair 3c

1. Did you notice a markable difference between the salon/... products vs. the organic/natural?(ie. product quality, improvement in the overall condition in your hair ... )

Depends. There are good salon products and good natural products. I don't use either exclusively.

2. Increase in hair growth?

None that I'm aware of.

3. which organic/natural lines do you use and which do you avoid, and why?

I don't use whole lines of products. I just stick with whatever works for me out of each line. I like:
Aubrey's GPB
Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey
Aveda Deep Penetrating Hair Revitalizer

I've used other products from each line that I either didn't care for or hated. Mostly, I just like buying natural butters (e.g shea, avocado, etc), fixed oils (e.g jojoba, castor, etc) in bulk and using them straight (usually), or mixed. And, essential oils (too many to list). I've used all these for several years and I would say they have improved the condition of my hair. Also:
1) They don't buildup on my hair like commercial products.
2) My hair feels softer and retains moisture longer than with most commercial products.
3) I *try* to be aware of what I'm putting on (and in) my body, and these make that task easier.
4) In the case of essential oils, some are known to stimulate growth e.g rosemary, lavendar, ylang ylang, cedarwood, clary sage and peppermint. I particularly love lavendar for its calming effect, and ylang ylang, which has an amazing scent.

hth

I'm not relaxed but in general I use all natural hair products. I did add in two un-natural products to my routine for the winter season. I went back to using ORS Olive Oil and I also added in Nexus Humectress into my hair conditioner mix.

Here was my all-natural routine.
Weekly shampoo: Dr. Bronners baby castile soap mixed with equal parts of warm water and veggie glycerin. I put this mix in a spray bottle and concentrate on squirting my roots.

Clarifying shampoo: Dr. Bronners Tea Tree castile soap mixed with an equal part of warm water in a spray bottle.

Weekly Conditioner: Aubreys Island Naturals.

Deep Conditioner: mixture of Caster Oil, Honey, Olive Oil, and Veggie Glycerin. Sorry I don't measure. I apply it to clean hair and sit under the dryer for 20 or 30 minutes. Sometimes I sleep in the mixture.

Protein Conditioner: Aubreys GPB

Styling products: Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter or Carols Daughter Mimosa Hair honey for shine.

Daily moisture: I would apply Burt's Bees Baby bee lotion to my ends whenever they felt a little dry.

Ballet Bun,
If you would like to try all natural products my advice to you is to read the labels. Sometimes natural product lines are not really natural. Many of them will contain SLS and other preservatives. Ya gotta read those packages!

I use Dr. Bonner's castile soap and Aubrey Organics conditioners and the organic jojoba oil, aloe vera gel. I also use organic unrefined coconut oil by Spectrum.

When I first started using organic shampoos and conditioners back in 2000, the first thing I noticed was that my hair airdried in like half or three-quarters of the normal time. I think I read some where that this was due to the fact that some of the chemicals in regular conditioners actually have to open up the cuticle or something like that (I could be wrong I don't remember the exact statement).

Also my hair doesn't feel dry or like straw anymore (which was due the the alcohol and SLS in non-organic hair products)

And i don't have any split ends.

AFashionSlave ...

I have been getting much better at reading labels. I have some AO products and my hair loves them. There's also a Shea Butter Poo and Conditioner that my hair loves, and the smell is great too.

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

I use Aubreys GPB and I use Avalon...these products work well and I used to be extremely anti-SLS but my favorite soap, Cetaphil has it in so, I figure it depends on the composite of the products...

I mainly use organic shampoos with the exception of my conditoners which are not all organic. I'm not really sure if the overall health and growth of my hair is due to organics products because I also cut out heat and I practice less hair manipulation.

I have tried the Giovanni line which are all good.
Aubdrey Organics, I've only used GBP and Jojoba/Aloe which are also good and highly recommed.
I've used Avalon organic shampoos which are okay.
My favorite of all organic shampoo is Shaman mango and mint moisturizing shampoos which is a subsidary company of Jason Naturals.

I love Black Seed!
smile.gif
It is all organic/natural, and since I have been using it, my hair has become a lot stronger. I use their pomade...and conditioning shampoo. It is not the only product that i'm using though. I'm also using KeraCare.

Erica78,

I have never heard of Black Seed. What is that? Is it a product or company? If so do you have the website?
Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Honey6928215 said:
Erica78,

I have never heard of Black Seed. What is that? Is it a product or company? If so do you have the website?
Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honey, This is a great line of hair care products. They leave out all of the harsh chemicals, and their products contain ingredients that are good for hair health.
drunk.gif
I have been using them for about 2 or 3 months now, and I'm sticking with them.
smile.gif

Their web address is http://www.amazingherbs.com

This link takes you directly to the hair products...
http://www.amazingherbs.com/blacseedskin.html

I don't think that they have the ingredients listed directly on the site, so I will list them for you.

The Daily Conditioning Hair Pomade contains: Black Seed Oil, Shea Butter, Castor Oil, Cocoa Butter, Coconut oil, and Microystalline Wax.

The Herbal Conditioning Shampoo contains... deionized water, Rosemary, Aloe Vera, Black Seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Cocoamide MEA, Sodium Laureth Sulfate (from the coconut oil), Glycol Disterate, Methyl Paraben.

If you decide to get the conditioning shampoo, you might also want to use a detangling shampoo along with it.

I haven't tried the honey shampoo yet.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
erica78 said:

The Herbal Conditioning Shampoo contains... deionized water, Rosemary, Aloe Vera, Black Seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Cocoamide MEA, Sodium Laureth Sulfate (from the coconut oil), Glycol Disterate, Methyl Paraben.

If you decide to get the conditioning shampoo, you might also want to use a detangling shampoo along with it.

I haven't tried the honey shampoo yet.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That shampoo may not be all that natural. Check out this link and read about some of those ingredients: http://www.aubrey-organics.com/about/treat_10synth.cfm

Thanks for the link DelightfulFlame. I did a search on the net about Methyl Paraben, but couldn't find any good definitions. Maybe I will just stick to the pomade which doesn't have the Methyl Paraben. Maybe I will try out the Camomile Luxurious Herbal Shampoo!

for the users of Dr. Bonners:

You guys don't find it drying. I tried it and discontinued use immediately.

Your welcome. That sulfate stuff is very drying. You probably want to stay away from all shampoos with that in there. It might even cut down on the need for detangling as much.

[ QUOTE ]
z3000zee said:
for the users of Dr. Bonners:

You guys don't find it drying. I tried it and discontinued use immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be drying unless you dilute it and maybe mixed it with a natural oil or butter that your hair may like. If you want to try a shampoo recipe, pm me and I'll send it to you.
smile.gif

Back