Who still uses a pressing comb?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Electric flat irons just dont do it for me. Am i Alone? marcels or electric. I feel safe with electric and my hair gets straight.

Got any tips? Does anyone just press and not flat iron after?

Im trying to cut down on the heat and streamline my straightening process. Im thinking of air drying on rollers and then just pressing my hair with a little oil and wrapping it to reduce any poof.

Last edited:

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
Electric flat irons just dont do it for me. Am i Alone? Got any tips? Does anyone just press and not flat iron after?
Im trying to cut down on the heat and streamline my straightening process. Im thinking of air drying on rollers and then just pressing my hair with a little oil and wrapping it to reduce any poof.

my granny presses my hair and her hair. she gets it BONE straight too o_O

lol maybe ijust suck at flat ironing but as much as ihate getting my hair pressed (im a ducker) ilove how straight my hair gets with the pressing comb :drunk:

Irresistible

*raised hand*

I do wet pressing with 2 different combs on the fire

1 to dry
1 to press

I don't get my hair bone straight either, it always has some texture left. It's too much work for me to do all that anyway. Flat irons were hard to use for me-cause I'm just too used to pressing

eta , as of the last few years I only press once a year tho

Jewell

I use an electric adjustable pressing comb by Hot Tools (you can press a button and the teeth close in tighter to the hair to get a smoother press, depending on the hair's thickness). I like Marcel irons too, but haven't used one myself and I'm scared of it being too hot and doing heat damage. My grandma & mother used Marcel irons on an electric stove to press my hair as a child...but I have not tried or perfected that technique, though I believe that I would get a long-lasting press with Marcel irons or steam/heat flat irons.

I use flat irons (ceramic), but the next time I press I will either use a Maxiglide (I have the Miniglide with teeth, which works good), or traditional Marcel pressing comb in a ceramic Marcel iron stove I plan to get. The electric pressing comb I have is ok, but it is long and a bit cumbersome with the cord...and I can't get close to my edges without almost burning my scalp...so I use my Miniglide with the teeth for that.

I only press my hair once per year...so by the time I get to it this year I will have collected my new tools.

Last edited:

LynnieB

I think it was last summer/fall I bought mine. Some no name electric job I got at the BSS. I love it - works better than my flatiron. I wash/deep condition with Pantene's Frizzy to Smooth line, dry with or without blowdrier then straighten. I use Ultra Sheen satin press and it makes the hair really silky and resistant to reversion. It's not greasy at all, to me.

I do smallish sections although the sections are larger than I make for a flatiron and I use an old towel behind the hair as I run the comb down.

May upgrade to a heat adjustable one before spring so I'll get to try one more straight style before summer.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I think it was last summer/fall I bought mine. Some no name electric job I got at the BSS. I love it - works better than my flatiron. I wash/deep condition with Pantene's Frizzy to Smooth line, dry with or without blowdrier then straighten. I use Ultra Sheen satin press and it makes the hair really silky and resistant to reversion. It's not greasy at all, to me.

I do smallish sections although the sections are larger than I make for a flatiron and I use an old towel behind the hair as I run the comb down.

May upgrade to a heat adjustable one before spring so I'll get to try one more straight style before summer.

did you press your hair in you signature pic? how many passes you you use?

also when you dont blow dry how do you air dry? in braids or rollers?

i use pressing oil when i press and it isn't greasy to me either.the key is to use small amount per section. i was sweating heavily in my head last night and my roots didnt budge. i love the old school methods:yep:

and the towel is the key to getting the ends straight, i have a pressing towel just for this:look: i was thinking of making a pressing pad like in this video though

YouTube - The Natural Hair Pressing Pad

ilah

I use and electric hot comb. The last time I straightend my hair the shaft of my hair was bone straight but my ends were poofy, frizzy and all over the place. Maybe I needed to use a higher setting on my ends???? - Or maybe I need to bite the bullet and spend some money on that Maxi-Glide I've been seeing all over this forum....dang I don't wanna spend that money

When I was transitioning that hot comb was the business.

LynnieB

did you press your hair in you signature pic? how many passes you you use?

also when you dont blow dry how do you air dry? in braids or rollers?

i use pressing oil when i press and it isn't greasy to me either.the key is to use small amount per section. i was sweating heavily in my head last night and my roots didnt budge. i love the old school methods:yep:

and the towel is the key to getting the ends straight, i have a pressing towel just for this:look: i was thinking of making a pressing pad like in this video though

YouTube - The Natural Hair Pressing Pad

Yep Napp, my siggie hair was done with a pressing comb. I went back to old school. I've airdried in braids/twists and w/rollers. The rollers are a pain because it takes so dern long to roll the hair up then have to wait for it to dry :nono: but RS gets the ends nice and smooth so I don't really have to pay much more attention to them when I use the comb.

I do 2 slow passes and it gets the hair straight.

I hear you about the roots but if I use the right combo of products, reversion shows up only as a slight wave w/flatiron or hot comb. It never actually frizzes to a puff ball unless it gets soaking wet. I can get a press to last about 3 weeks if needbe before my scalp says enough. Gross I know but not nearly as bad as it sounds. I pincurl and use EVOO to maintain.

That pressing pad looks like a great idea!!! Not sure if I'd be coordinated enough to use it.

~~HoneyComb~~

I can get a press to last about 3 weeks if needbe before my scalp says enough. Gross I know but not nearly as bad as it sounds. .

Not gross at all.

The last couple of times I flat-ironed my hair, it lasted almost a month before I washed, and I could have gone longer--had no scalp issues and my hair didn't smell either. Both my DDs wash and flat-iron once a month, been doing it all their lives.

It takes to long to flat iron to wear it only 1 week and redo :lol:

I stretch flat-ironed hair as long as possible.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Yep Napp, my siggie hair was done with a pressing comb. I went back to old school. I've airdried in braids/twists and w/rollers. The rollers are a pain because it takes so dern long to roll the hair up then have to wait for it to dry :nono: but RS gets the ends nice and smooth so I don't really have to pay much more attention to them when I use the comb.

I do 2 slow passes and it gets the hair straight.

I hear you about the roots but if I use the right combo of products, reversion shows up only as a slight wave w/flatiron or hot comb. It never actually frizzes to a puff ball unless it gets soaking wet. I can get a press to last about 3 weeks if needbe before my scalp says enough. Gross I know but not nearly as bad as it sounds. I pincurl and use EVOO to maintain.

That pressing pad looks like a great idea!!! Not sure if I'd be coordinated enough to use it.

have you tried braiding halfway and rolersetting the rest? that way you can air dry in bigger sections and still have smooth ends. i would like to try this next time.

when my hair reverts it only reverts in a wave if i press my hair. when i flat iron only i get florida evans roots after a single night:lachen:. i have no idea why! but it ruins the style and shortens the life of my press.:nono: i would have to skip to week 3(see below)

Not gross at all.

The last couple of times I flat-ironed my hair, it lasted almost a month before I washed, and I could have gone longer--had no scalp issues and my hair didn't smell either. Both my DDs wash and flat-iron once a month, been doing it all their lives.

It takes to long to flat iron to wear it only 1 week and redo :lol:

I stretch flat-ironed hair as long as possible.

IA i usually do 3 weeks.
week 1-bone straight
week 2 wavy/curly
week 3 bantu knots/bun

my goal is to get it to stretch to that elusive week 4. i think i can do it this time.i was really light on the oils this time and the creme of nature argan oil is great for moisturizing and it doesnt weight my hair down at all plus it keeps my hair from getting "clumpy" when it gets oily.