Whose hair can't take strong proteins?

melodee

I have been having a time with protein treatments and conditioners. I did two aphogee treatments in a two month period, because I was seeing alot of breakage and I was always told that protein stops breakage in it's tracks. Well, my hair started breaking more. :confused:
I took a while to moisturize it, and then tried CH conditioner (along with her rec. regimen). Well, again my hair was hard and dry, even though I always used a moisturizing conditioner after. :mad: It felt so dry/hard when combing out my wet hair and it kept breaking.

I am laying off protein for a while.

Is there anyone else that can't use alot of protein, but still has strong hair?

Isis

Everyone's hair is different. If I have too much protein in my hair, it gets hard (while wet) and it will break. That's why I no longer use Infusium 23 as a leave-in - I used to when I first came to LHCF. That protein content is too much for my hair, while others can use it without a problem. I've never tried aphogee treatments because it hasn't been necessary. The heaviest protein I use is Keraphix and that is every few washes.

carolina_belle

You have to find what works best for your hair. I have fine, 4A hair that was often prone to breakage. Protein conditioners have been a life-saver, but I had to find the ones that work for me. Aphogee broke my hair out. It is much too strong for the strands. However, Emergencee and Keraphix have worked out fine. It is trial and error. The protein conditioners have been very important to my overall regimen and retaining length.

crazyabouthair

Maybe your hair is breaking because it's too dry, in which case it needs moisturizing treatments instead of protein. Try leaving the protein alone and use moisturizing deep conditioners a couple times a week for a few weeks and see if that helps.

northernbelle

I am still experimenting with respect to exactly how much protein my hair can withstand. My recent error was not using protein at all, because my hair seemed strong and did not appear to need it. However, I need to apply a protein reconstructor about once a month - without question.

As for your question, the strongest protein treatment I have applied to my hair is Joico K-Pak. I follow it with the Joico K-Pak Leave-In Protectant.

northernbelle

lavendarlover

I recently purchased the Cathy Howse conditioner, and I also went out and got an oil mositurizer per her recommendations. After only a couple of treatments, I began to notice that whenever I shampooed my hair, I had lots of strands just coming out. Once I stopped using it, I noticed that the breakage stopped. I now just use a moisturizing condish (Panten R&N) and it has only recently had protein added to it, so we will see how it affects my hair. The protein is low on the list on this one, so HOPEFULLY there won't be too many ill effects with the use of it. I have very fine strands as well. As long as my hair is growing and I'm not seeing damage, I probably will not use the UBH conditioner.

Mariaat40

Poohbear said:
Most fine-textured hair cannot take too much protein.

I've got fine hair and it can't take Aphogee. Too strong. I use Aubrey GPB and that works well for me.

Jewell

I have fine-textured hair and the strongest it can take is something like ORS Hair Mayo with the egg protein in it. I just have to make sure I slather a really thick moisturizing conditioner on after, or else my hair feels straw-like. After that, my hair is strengthened and moist. I have used Keraphix once a week, every week for 2 months now, and its great-I follow with Humectress.

L

lkg4healthyhair

carolina_belle said:
You have to find what works best for your hair. I have fine, 4A hair that was often prone to breakage. Protein conditioners have been a life-saver, but I had to find the ones that work for me. Aphogee broke my hair out. It is much too strong for the strands. However, Emergencee and Keraphix have worked out fine. It is trial and error. The protein conditioners have been very important to my overall regimen and retaining length.

This is the same for my 4a/b relaxed hair as well

buffalosoldier

Id NEVER use aphoghee but some other proteins I can use are GPB, jherri redding protein pac, elasta qp breakage control serum,

But I have to be careful cos I can get a lot of knots. ors hair mayo gave me dreads it was horrible.

I would definitely recommend nexxus emergencee though!

Honi

There is no board.
I can use Aphogee once in awhile but that's it. My hair is kinda fickle. It likes a specific amount of protein/moisture balance and will wild out on me if I give it too much.

AO GPB and Elasta QP intense has been the best find for me so far.

melodee

Lavendar,
ITA and I'm sorry I didn't respond to you concerning that conditioner for sale/trade. The reason was that I had received mine when I used it, I realized that I might not need another bottle after all. I meant to tell you, but it slipped my mind.:perplexed

So, to all my fine stranded ladies out there...careful of the type of protein treatments you use!

Allandra

I've never tried a strong protein. I've been using Aubrey Organics GPB since 2000. I have no plans on trying any strong proteins.