Why baggying may have hurt my hair

Radianthealth

Over-porous hair is dry, and tends to develop split ends. The damaged cuticle is fragile, and the damage worsens as time goes by. The greater the damage, the more the cortex swells with water whenever the hair is washed, but the more water it loses when it dries. The repeated wetting and drying of the cortex gradually weakens the hair.

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_34.htm

Having my fine porous hair in and out of the baggy may have weakened it. I am not sure but I am going to try to focus on moderate moisture and protective styles.

What do you ladies think?:confused:

Yes, I wondered about that. It's not until I joined this forum did I hear that contstant moisture to the hair is healthy. I've always herad that too much water can cause breakage as you described. I guess it depend on the hair type. I suppose you can work to change the porosity of your hair (if that's possible).

I tried the baggy method for a week and it did not work for me... I found little hairs inside the haircap. I think my hair was too wet.... When I washed, I lost sooo much hair.

Now I just sleep with my satin cap, moisturize and hide the ends inside my hair....

I wanted to be like DarkEmpress and KiniKakes, but this is what works for me, and that's okay!:)

I have a question!!

For those who baggy, do you use lye or no-lye? It's possible that the ladies who use lye don't really react well with the baggying.:confused:

That is definately something to think about Trimbride and just may have been your culprit, I would have never thought of that. I use Lye relaxers and baggying is okay for me sometimes, but not daily.

Eiano said:
I have a question!!

For those who baggy, do you use lye or no-lye? It's possible that the ladies who use lye don't really react well with the baggying.:confused:

I use no-lye and i love the baggy. I have to say....I remember when I first started that, everyone used the baggy on dry hair...they just saturated their ponytail with any type of hair lotion (UBH Moisturizer, ORS Lotion,...etc) and coated it with EVOO or another oil type product. Hm:ohwell: i'm wonderin, maybe the baggy is a NO-NO on wet hair.

I am using lye relaxer and am loving the baggie method. I haven't seen on piece of hair in my baggie. What has helped me was not to put too much moisturer in the cap and I take the baggie off around 5:00 am and that allows my hair to dry before I style it.

I, too wonder what's going on with me. Tonight I lost more hair than usual during my wash. I've been baggying for 5 days straight. I'm wondering if I'm possibly using too much. What I may do is experiment. I'm starting fresh tonight with my weekly wash. I'll start baggying again on Tuesday, then skip every other day. I'll see how that works and report back.

Trimbride, I have very fine, porous hair as well. I used Porosity Control and Fermodyl Formula 07 Extra Strength for fine, porous hair. I will see how that works for me. My hair absolutely cannot deal with a lot of moisture. My hair just soaks it up and I have dry, dull-looking hair remaining.

Eiano, I've used No Lye relaxers all my life. I do sometimes wonder if that's the culprit. You know, I relaxed two weeks ago with Phyto Index I and my hair is extremely underprocessed, dull and dry looking. So I started using Porosity Control and did a light protein treatment. Luckily I didn't shed or break too much. Again, I'll monitor my progress. When I relax again, I think I'm going to try a Lye relaxer. You certainly asked a very good question, too!

Serenity_Peace said:
I, too wonder what's going on with me. Tonight I lost more hair than usual during my wash. I've been baggying for 5 days straight. I'm wondering if I'm possibly using too much. What I may do is experiment. I'm starting fresh tonight with my weekly wash. I'll start baggying again on

I baggy for weeks and what I notice is since I don't comb my hair when I baggy.....I just change the bag w/ more oil......all the hair the suppose to shed a day comes out when I wash....its a lil scary but maybe thats it for u??????

I use a lye relaxer. My hair is fine and very porous so I am sure the baggy caused a lot of breakage and is probably the reason my relaxed ends are so stringy.

I tend to go overboard so I would always put my soaking wet/moisturized hair into a baggy. I am pretty sure I shouldn't have done this. I think putting moisturizer on the dry hair and sealing with an oil and then baggying would have been better. My hair probably should have been moist instead of soaking wet.

I always over do things and think that more is better. In this case it wasn't.

What can you do you live and you learn:ohwell:

I remember when I first joined this board I always found it hard to believe that some members had setbacks. How could you have a setback with all this wonderful information at your disposal. I guess it is because everything doesn't work for everyone.

In the end I am grateful, this was a valuable learning experience. Hopefully I will finally find what works for me.:)

WillyGWifey said:
I baggy for weeks and what I notice is since I don't comb my hair when I baggy.....I just change the bag w/ more oil......all the hair the suppose to shed a day comes out when I wash....its a lil scary but maybe thats it for u??????

This could have been it. I know that you're supposed to lose a certain amount of hair a day. I don't lose that much hair even if I comb everything. A little breakage here or there, perhaps a few hairs in the comb, but nothing alarming. Maybe the hair I lost tonight was dead anyway. Well, at least I hope...:cool:

I aslo can't baggy. I use a no lye relaxer. My hair is wet generally most of the time because I generally bun my hair wet, plus I rinse when after I work out. Me and baggying on a daily basis just didn't get along.

Could have been too much moisture or maybe not the right kind my hair wanted...dunno.

-A

WillyGWifey said:
I use no-lye and i love the baggy. I have to say....I remember when I first started that, everyone used the baggy on dry hair...they just saturated their ponytail with any type of hair lotion (UBH Moisturizer, ORS Lotion,...etc) and coated it with EVOO or another oil type product. Hm:ohwell: i'm wonderin, maybe the baggy is a NO-NO on wet hair.

Yes, I think the best way to use the baggy is on "DRY" moisturized hair, not wet. This is the way I use it.

Arcadian said:
I aslo can't baggy. I use a no lye relaxer. My hair is wet generally most of the time because I generally bun my hair wet, plus I rinse when after I work out. Me and baggying on a daily basis just didn't get along.

Could have been too much moisture or maybe not the right kind my hair wanted...dunno.

-A

Yeah it seems that the baggy really doesn't work to well on wet hair...P.S. Can u be my workout buddy? :)

trimbride said:
Over-porous hair is dry, and tends to develop split ends. The damaged cuticle is fragile, and the damage worsens as time goes by. The greater the damage, the more the cortex swells with water whenever the hair is washed, but the more water it loses when it dries.

This makes total sense to me. My over-processed ends split no matter what I do, and did not respond well to the baggy. I think it was too much moisture. But my length is in much better condition (thanks, LHCF!) and as I cut away those ends, the hair that's left gets soft and moisturized with the baggy.

I noticed, though, that I have to use the baggy on dry (moisturized and sealed) hair, and I can't put anything extra in the bag. Also, baggying overnight is a no-no. Water is great, but too much water is a bad thing.

My hair is like yours, it is fine and porous. It has gotten better after I learned to pay attention to pH and use acidic conditioners and concentrate on balance rather than over-doing things.

i HAVE FINE POROUS HAIR AS WELL- i USE NO - LYE(ORS)- WET BAGGY WORKED GREAT IN THE BEGGINING WHEN MY HAIR WAS EXTREMELY THIRSTY AND DAMAGED. NOW MY HAIR HAS DEVELOPED SOME STRENGTH AND NORMALCY AND ONLY NEEDS DRY BAGGY WITH A MOISTURE PRODUCT. ALSO , I KEEP AN EVEN BALANCE OF PROTEIN AND MOISTURE.

I can't full baggy when I have new growth.... it makes it brittle and dry. I'd imagine it's because of the sweat and salt collecting at my scalp and on the new growth. I've had pretty good luck with baggying my ends. :) I tried the full and my hair doesn't like it as much. Even if I just put oil (my hair + moisture + bag = hell) it didn't work.

I think a main key is to keep a BALANCE of protein and moisture. I didn't get it at first but now I'm catching on. I just started "listening" to my hair. Everything really doesn't work for everybody... but with a little tweaking here and there you might find something that works for you. :D

Eiano said:
I have a question!!

Hmmm:scratchch :scratchch it probably wouldn't matter because I also had this problem years ago being a natural head. I did the baggy thing and I had little hairs inside the bag also.

Tsipy

I've been baggying at night, but I was starting to get breakage. I think I'm too heavy handed with my moisturizer, so I'm trying to use less, and to seal with a different oil.

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to focus on the protein moisture balance. I washed and DC my hair last night with a moisturizing conditioner. I did a final condition with porosity control. Hopefully this will help with my relaxed/overprocessed ends.:)

I agree with the notion that baggy-ing is best done on dry or slightly damp hair. For a while I was putting on the baggie right after washing and couldn't figure out why my hair was breaking. Well last night, I applied the moisturizer to dry hair and I can already tell there is an immediate difference versus doing it on wet hair.

Back