Why did they even MAKE the product then?

krikit96

If greasing your scalp is supposed to be all bad for you, then why did they even BOTHER making scalp grease? I don't understand? Maybe it isn't good to block your pores with the thick heavy Blue grease or the Green grease, but it has to be beneficial SOMEHOW, right?:ohwell:

I gave myself a touch-up Sunday, and I feel like my scalp is getting dry by Wednesday... but my style is so cute and still lasting that I'm trying to hold it til Saturday at LEAST!

Since Joining LHCF a few weeks ago, I haven't used any grease on my scalp because I THOUGHT I was learning some stuff isn't good for your hair and isn't condusive to long hair growth. Somebody please tell me what the deal is???:wallbash:

Hello :) I'm a newbie so this is my lil ol advice. Maybe try using the castor oil hair grease. I think its made by Hollywood beauty or something like that. its in a green and white container. It doesn't have any mineral oil or petroleum in it and it is very light but it does the same thing as the old school blue or green grease. my favorite is the Burnt sugar pomade by Oyin hand made. A little goes a long way and it smells so good!!!. I find that if i DC regularly I don't have to put as much product on my scalp. I still like to add a little to my scalp if it feels dry but I don't know if other would recommend using any grease. Its working for me so far though. Hope this helps:wave:

texasbeautysupplycom_2018_83258068
burntsugar.jpg

Last edited:
What works for some doesn't work for others. I never rule out grease. I grew up with my mom using Dax (a majority of the time) and then Sulfur 8. I've always had long hair. Since being on the hair board I've used the Sulfur 8 off and on, and never had a problem.

Some swear by not using hair grease...others say it's the only thing that works to keep their scalp from getting itchy and dry.

I have to have something on my scalp...but instead of grease, I brought a small squeeze bottle with a nozzle, and filled it with grapeseed, avocado or sweet apricot oils.
It's much lighter and my scalp and hair seem to love it.

I did try using grease again...my scalp actually broke out. :perplexed

Just use what works best for you...and if that's grease, then so be it. But don't be afraid to try something else.

:look:

Just because they sell something, doesn't mean it's beneficial - they are still selling cigarettes, aren't they? :lol:

If your hair thrives with using grease, then use it. If your hair thrives not using grease, then don't use it. Only your head can make that decision for you.

Give Jojoba oil a try. It' s superlite (it's about the same consistency as sebum, your natural hair oil.) and you can use a little to get you pretty far.

ETA: the thing that's bad about most hair grease is the petrolatum, and mineral oil. They are very heavy on the hair and clog the pores. So I guess if you found a light grease without those ingredients, you'd be good to go.

:look:

Just because they sell something, doesn't mean it's beneficial - they are still selling cigarettes, aren't they? :lol:

If your hair thrives with using grease, then use it. If your hair thrives not using grease, then don't use it. Only your head can make that decision for you.

This is right here is the TRUTH!!! I wish more people on this board would understand this basic concept.

i use coconut grease mixed with either rosemary or cinnamon oil and i like and wont stop as long as u not over using it you should be fine!:yawn:

I wouldn't be suprised to find the grease companies are multi-billion dollar corporations. Most of them have cheap ingredients, and they can make a fortune off them, especially if they throw the words "gro" "moisturizer" or "anti-breakage" on the packaging.:rolleyes: Hence, the reason why they sell it.

Hello :) I'm a newbie so this is my lil ol advice. Maybe try using the castor oil hair grease. I think its made by Hollywood beauty or something like that. its in a green and white container. It doesn't have any mineral oil or petroleum in it and it is very light but it does the same thing as the old school blue or green grease. my favorite is the Burnt sugar pomade by Oyin hand made. A little goes a long way and it smells so good!!!. I find that if i DC regularly I don't have to put as much product on my scalp. I still like to add a little to my scalp if it feels dry but I don't know if other would recommend using any grease. Its working for me so far though. Hope this helps:wave:

texasbeautysupplycom_2018_83258068
burntsugar.jpg
I thought the hollywood castor oil did have mineral oil, sometime it can go by the name parrfin.
Soybean Oil, Safflower Oil, Castor Oil, Mineral Oil, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil, Methylparaben (and) Isopropylparaben (and) Isobutylaraben (and) Butylparaben, Fragrance, BHA, D&C Yellow #11, D&C Green #6.

I don't know this double posted..wait nevermind I hit the back key to add info.
sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did great with grease my whole life, but now I am too nervous to use it again. someone help me! I've been trapped into the organic thing. Africa's best hair grease seems to be loaded with great ingredients, but it has some questionable ones also. I wonder if I should test out grease again for a week, just for old times sake.

I did great with grease my whole life, but now I am too nervous to use it again. someone help me! I've been trapped into the organic thing. Africa's best hair grease seems to be loaded with great ingredients, but it has some questionable ones also. I wonder if I should test out grease again for a week, just for old times sake.

I don't think it'd hurt. I used to use grease for my dandruff problem ALL THE TIME, like, 4 times a day, and it never helped, imagine that:rolleyes: So it wasn't hard for me to give it up, now I just make sure to wash my hair at least every 5 days, and it's fine. I think, if there's no need for an oil on your scalp now, then why try to fix what ain't broke? If there is, then go ahead and try it out.

I thought the hollywood castor oil did have mineral oil, sometime it can go by the name parrfin.
Soybean Oil, Safflower Oil, Castor Oil, Mineral Oil, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil, Methylparaben (and) Isopropylparaben (and) Isobutylaraben (and) Butylparaben, Fragrance, BHA, D&C Yellow #11, D&C Green #6.

Wow thanks for the info! I'm still new to the product game and had no idea. so far it's working for me so i'll see how it goes but I will be looking out for the name in future products. :)

I don't think it'd hurt. I used to use grease for my dandruff problem ALL THE TIME, like, 4 times a day, and it never helped, imagine that:rolleyes: So it wasn't hard for me to give it up, now I just make sure to wash my hair at least every 5 days, and it's fine. I think, if there's no need for an oil on your scalp now, then why try to fix what ain't broke? If there is, then go ahead and try it out.
oh my scalp definitely need oil atleast everyday, since I gave up the grease i've tried an assortment of oils, now it's coconut oil. sometimes I just get lazy and ignore though.
the problem is that my scalp soaks up oil so quickly, almost like I never put it on there.

there's nothing wrong with grease. for the most part i use natural oils on my scalp twice a week. but i also have a jar of blue majic coconut oil grease that i love.

WHOA! I'm really excited, I just found some all natural grease, called Sophia's old fashioned grease from myhoneychild.com
I'm going to get some once my giovanni direct leave in conditioner runs out

Last edited by a moderator:
What works for some doesn't work for others. I never rule out grease. I grew up with my mom using Dax (a majority of the time) and then Sulfur 8. I've always had long hair. Since being on the hair board I've used the Sulfur 8 off and on, and never had a problem.

Same here- I still use Dax Kocatah, which has COCONUT OIL, which some folks on here are so crazy about and Suphur 8, which is the same product (SULPHUR) as some of these growth aids. My mom, grandma, and aunts always used these products growing up & they always had thick, healthy, medium to long hair & these were the staples my mom used my hair was longer. I also have some Softee Indian Hemp grease, but I hardly use it.

IMO, grease is the same as "oils" just in a different form- solid, rather than liquid. So, I don't see a difference.

BTW, I also don't buy into the "clogged scalp pores" theory, even though I do wash much more frequently since joining LHCF.

(The thumbnail is a pic of my hair in 2004, when I used to use grease every day)

*** I guess I should add the grease should be used like oils, SPARINGLY and not to "solve" scalp problems as Kelle mentioned in a previous post. I used to have the same issue.

Last edited:
Thanx Ladies... ITA w/ whoever said grease was just like an oil, only a solid rather than liquid... I dont have a scalp issue, just that it gets dry a few days after washing...I am a busy mom w/3 kids 4 and under and I may not be able to wash EVERY weekend:ohwell:

Thanks for all your opinions!:grin:

Thanx Ladies... ITA w/ whoever said grease was just like an oil, only a solid rather than liquid... I dont have a scalp issue, just that it gets dry a few days after washing...I am a busy mom w/3 kids 4 and under and I may not be able to wash EVERY weekend:ohwell:

Thanks for all your opinions!:grin:

Yes, this is an interesting thread!

I meant that I used to try to use grease to control my dandruff. Sulphur 8 helped to control the problem, but didn't solve it. I didn't mean to make is sound like you had scalp issues :spinning:! Sorry for the confusion. :grin:

Same here- I still use Dax Kocatah, which has COCONUT OIL, which some folks on here are so crazy about and Suphur 8, which is the same product (SULPHUR) as some of these growth aids. My mom, grandma, and aunts always used these products growing up & they always had thick, healthy, medium to long hair & these were the staples my mom used my hair was longer. I also have some Softee Indian Hemp grease, but I hardly use it.

IMO, grease is the same as "oils" just in a different form- solid, rather than liquid. So, I don't see a difference.

BTW, I also don't buy into the "clogged scalp pores" theory, even though I do wash much more frequently since joining LHCF.

(The thumbnail is a pic of my hair in 2004, when I used to use grease every day)

*** I guess I should add the grease should be used like oils, SPARINGLY and not to "solve" scalp problems as Kelle mentioned in a previous post. I used to have the same issue.

I've never bought into this theory either. Is this being measure by pimples on the scalp or something?

OP...there's no one good or bad thing for all people as much as many like to think. They make these products because they do work for some and for others they are economical. The irony is that things that are so called good for you are priced out of the range for many and/or aren't easily accessible.

=
. The irony is that things that are so called good for you are priced out of the range.

I agree... that is also true w/eating healthy as well. What the hell? Do they want all the people w/regular to low bank accounts to just suffer while the rich people have a chance to be healthy??? I'm trippin, ignore me.

I have always greased my scalp and actually never heard anything about grease being unhealthy until I got on the LHCF... My hair used to be mid back as a kid, and I don't even know what happened, around 12 years old my mom did a touch up and it was all gone after that.:sad:

My hair loves grease, and maybe I can replace it w/ORS Olive Oil...? Anybody ever used that? How'd it work if you did? I think I may try to get into the whole ORS line, the relaxer I did on myself turned out wonderful.

Anyways, If ORS Olive Oil is supposed to be used in place of hair grease, I may try that... The carrot oil was just OKAY, but I started itching after I tried it and I may end up giving that to my lil sisters...

I agree with doing what works for you. For me personally, all of my skin with the exception of my face is dry. I have to use lotion and oil on my body so why would my scalp not need it as well. I find that if I don't put something on my scalp it is dry and flaky just like my knees would be if I didn't moisturize them. I do try to use better quality products on my scalp but after reading all of the comments about not greasing the scalp, various products, etc. I wonder if the reason why many of us are doing so well with our hair growth is because we are paying more attention to it and making more of an effort to try to keep it healthy versus the answer being in a certain type of product or a certain routing. I think in the end it all boils down to what works for you, basically...."you do you":grin:

See, this is what I mean... People have been using grease for YEARS! Why all of a sudden is it bad, people have had long hair for years... Now, people are scared to use stuff that worked for them their whole lives...

Seriously, use whatever you want.

The first rule to get the most out of LHFC is - Take in what's written, but only do what YOUR hair needs. No what somebody else's hair needs.

If greasing your scalp is supposed to be all bad for you, then why did they even BOTHER making scalp grease?

I agree with JustKiya that not everything sold in stores is good for you eg cigarettes. :giggle: But I also agree that you should do what works for you. Your question above never crossed my mind at all as it seemed pretty obvious what it was made for: after I stopped using grease on my scalp at the age of 11, I just used it exclusively on my hair. It seemed like that's what it was made for: hair not scalp. :look:

Back