Why Did you Choose/Convert to Dominican Stylists and Products

kim1006

I first went to a Dominican salon because of someone I new when I was younger who now lives in to New York. When she returned to the area for a visit, her hair was long and luxurious. I always thought she and I had similar hair types and although my hair was very healthy with good length it was missing something, so I searched high and low for a Dominican salon in the area. After about a month or so of patronizing the salon, I noticed less hair shedding and my hair was much stronger, so I knew it was the products as well as the styling. I tried going back to AA salons for certain styles and immediately noticed the difference in my hair. One of the things I believe most Dominicans do much better than AAs is detangling the hair and again I believe the products are MUCH BETTER for my hair.

Last edited:

Solitude

Well when I lived in DC I went because everyone I met with beautiful hair went to them regularly. I also always loved the bounce I got from a rollerset, but it seemed like most AA stylist did not want to do sets. They just wanted to blow-fry and flat iron. Dominicans did wonders for my hair when I started my hair journey. They were also cheap, quick, and did what I asked only.

However, I do not like the Dominican shops here in Houston. Too rough. I have been a DIYer, but I am going back to my old AA stylist on Friday.

*CherryPie*

I decided to convert to dominican products because I saw a pretty and shiny bandwagon that I wanted to jump on. :lachen:

I have dominican products, and I don't even know what they're for (protein, or moisture?).
I can't understand them. They are just sitting here.

Glamiam

I love Dominican salons..I live in Nyc and most women with long relaxed hair go there for their wash and sets. I don't know what they do/use but they help retain alot of length.

*CherryPie*

The products are great, but I need to research them because i'm protein sensitive.

I love Dominican salons..I live in Nyc and most women with long relaxed hair go there for their wash and sets. I don't know what they do/use but they help retain alot of length.

naturallygoldie

I started going because they were cheaper than my AA stylist. My hair immediately got healthier and stronger. Most Dominican salons believe in healthy hair practices and their techniques worked for me. :)

FutureMD

I actually went to a Dominican stylist for about 18 months(moved to a place where the only Dominican salon is too far to be a good option, and working out makes straightening pointless) b/c I couldn't get to the person that I trusted to relax my hair(too far away). My hair did so well (and she gave me a great cut with long layers) that I kept going and wound up growing out my relaxer. I never let them relax my hair b/c I'd had bad experiences letting people I didn't know do it, so it started as a way to stretch out the relaxer.

I have to say, my hair did great, was never heat damaged, and my ends stayed perfect and retained length. I'd always had long hair, and it grows well, but it did better than usual I'd say. They cut my hair maybe to collar bone in late January (getting rid of hair damaged by another stylist) and by end of summer it was MBL again. (oh, and I got cuts in between that time too)

I know they aren't all the same, but if you have natural hair and want to get it straightened, they are the best at that that I've been to recently. I had no issues (as in natural being better or worse than relaxed) with the relaxer other than the fact that it was hard to keep people from overprocessing me.

I'd used their products before b/c they were low cost and seemed to work pretty well, although now I used more oil/butter based products.

I don't think there is any magic formula to make hair long but if your hair is blown straight, it doesn't tangle and it's easy to keep moisturized. The whole issue with curly or kinky hair is that it's hard for the oil that your follicle produces and for what you add to travel down the hair shaft. So if your hair is straight, anything you apply is easiliy smoothed onto the entire length of your hair. When it's not, you have to really work the product in there.

Also, when you comb or brush, you can just glide through, and the only hair that comes out of your head is what is shed. Nothing gets broken off.

So for my straightened hair, I could comb out shed hair morning and night, wrap the hair up, and yeah, it's easy to see why my hair retained all of its length. No scientific mysteries or magic there.

Makenzie

Never been to a Dominican salon, but I love Silicon Mix deep conditioner. Leaves my hair soft and silky. No tangles and does not weigh my hair down. Loved it so much I tried the Silicon Mix Pearl. Not impressed at all. After I use it up, I won't be purchasing it again.

janeemat

After reading this thread, I will be using all Domincan products on my 18wks post hair and blowing out my roots after my rollerset this wkend. My Silicon Mix and 10 n 1 will be right on time:grin:

nymane

Not all Dominican Salons are created equally, but my experience has been great with them. I love their techniques, the fact that they don't use direct heat on my hair and I love the way my current stylist applies my relaxer....and knows the difference between a cut and a trim. I only go every 5-6 months nowadays...

Last edited:

rwayda

I decided to convert to dominican products because I saw a pretty and shiny bandwagon that I wanted to jump on. :lachen:

I have dominican products, and I don't even know what they're for (protein, or moisture?).

Dominican hair products are indeed excellent products and are made for different types of hair care needs and textures, If you need any assistance with understanding the products you can email [email protected] just email the name of the products and she will help you with understanding the products and how to use them.

Last edited:

cutiebe2

http://roundbrushhair.com/

^^^^ love this site by JenniferMD

I have tons of Dominican stuff I am trying to work thorugh. I love Nacidit Coco so I will be repurchasing that

I love Chocolacio and have Emergencia, Miss Keys 10en1, Lacio Lacio, miel y leche, Bayena (whale) condish, plancha,

soooo many of products. I love the leave-ins too cant remember the names of some right now.
The also have rinses which are basically co-wash products

lilsparkle825

I was getting a weave taken down in 2007 and my hair was a mess afterwards. I was about 2-3 months post and my cousin did a disastrous job detangling so I went from full SL to EL/NL in about 20 minutes. I cried and asked her for a relaxer and she told me to go see the Dominicans down the street because I couldn't get a relaxer right after the uninstall. (Thank GOD she had enough sense to say that!!!) I went and they got my hair silky straight....I was hooked after that. About a month later I realized I could stop getting relaxers altogether and just go to the salon when I wanted to straighten my hair and thus my official transition began. I had a great stylist who I lucked upon and she convinced me that I could cut off little by little, which I did until I reached 12 months post and BC'd. I then made the decision to be mostly curly, but I go once every 4 months or so to get a blowout for my length check. I love the products they use on my hair, but the only one I own is Lacio Lacio, which I now take with me to the shop when I go because they have begun to use more "black" products. Their clientele is of the typical stuck-in-their-ways, addicted-to-grease-and-oil-sheen, heavy-helmet-hair variety. :( I stick with one stylist ALWAYS, who knows what I like.

kim1006

It is funny you mention your salon using more black products, I have noticed some dominicans transitioning more to using black products, which I don't believe is wise. Part of the draw to Dominicans is the Dominican and Italian products used. Most of us had used black/American hair products most of our lives and did not see any real difference in our hair until we transitioned to Dominican and Italian products. My hair used to shed really, really bad and my stylists would say things like "With all of this hair, no one will notice if some is missing". Well, I didn't like seeing my hair falling from my head!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I want to try to transition from AA products to Dom products and will be trying the ones you guys have listed. Thank you!

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

AlliCat

Great response. I feel the same way about my Lacio Lacio :lachen::lachen::lachen: