Why do black women get charged a arm and a leg for hair care products?

My Friend

During lunch I decided to go to a local international store I saw listed that carries JBCO. After locating the unmarked bottle, I asked the person behind the counter for the price and in matter of fact tone he said $29.95 :perplexed I was so :blush: shocked I repeated myself, " For this bottle?" Yes. "That makes black women hair grow long, that stuff is like gold" he replied. I mentioned to him that I bought it online for a much lower price and I didnt understand why he was charging so much :nono: He then said "Somebody will buy it". I then left the store.

The sad thing is somebody WILL buy it in their quest to grow long hair.

Also, if anyone here is a distributor, here's why your stores will not reorder quickly... they have been told "by someone" that they have something that black women will pay any amount of money for :nono: so they will have old dusty bottles on their shelves until they find that desperate customer.

God is Good :yep:

Once I returned to work I was ranting and raving under my breath about the price he wanted for JBCO. My co worker asked what was wrong.......

Me: "Hesitate, not wanting to go into why I'm putting JBCO on my hair but ok with her thinking I'm not regular :look:" Oh, I went to the store for some castor oil and it was too expensive.

Coworker: Really? Walgreens has it for cheap, where did you go?

Me: I went to an International market for a special kind that is suppose to be better for you.

Coworker: We use castor oil in my country too, he good for your here (Uses hand to pretend to pull poop out of butt) and it is also good for your hair (Uses hand to pretend pull hair out of head).

Me: :ha: :lachen:That's why I wanted it too. Did you use the Jamacian?

Coworker: Jamacian who? (English is her 4th language)

Me: In your country did you use Jamacian Castor oil?

Coworker: No. No Jamacian's in my country.

Me::lachen::lachen:What kind of castor oil did you use in your country?

Coworker: Nothing special. Regular from drug store. Our drug store like your walmart. You buy in the store in the same place you buy........exlax.

I then began to inquire about her hair habits and this is what she shared.

She always had hair to her hips as a teenager. She keeps it cut to midback now.
She used henna up until she left her mother's house at 18. (it was too messy for her to do alone).
She used castor oil on the ends of her up until 18.

I'm going to start using regular ole castor oil, since JBCO distributors in my area want to rip me off and my co and her entire country have gotten good results. :yep:

Last edited:

Natirelle

I hate it when the koreans have sh** over-priced, so I just shop around wisely. My new store is Target, my neighborhood target has a whole side of and aisle dedicated to natural hair. "
They have things such as Shea moisture, Tailid Wajji (sry if i spelled it wrong), Twisted sister, lots of Curls, Kinky curly and much more."
Now I dont have to ever go to a beauty supply store again, unless it
Sallys, I rarely shop there.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Black women are marketed because we will buy anything that will grow our hair. In fact, we are specially marketed to. I am speaking from my own experience, BTW. I've tried almost everything on the market. Plain castor oil will help you retain your growth. I've tried cooty cream, horse oil, ayervedic powders... This is from a product junkie trying to go in remission. They charge the big price because they know someone will buy.

Last edited:

My Friend

Black women are marketed because we will buy anything that will grow our hair. In fact, we are specially marketed to. I am speaking from my own experience, BTW. I've tried almost everything on the market. Plain castor oil will help you retain your growth. I've tried cooty cream, horse oil, ayervedic powders... This is from a product junkie trying to go in remission. They charge the big price because they know someone will buy.

Thank you!

Kash

Because most black women will buy and try any product that promises longer and/ or straighter hair.:look:

Natirelle

Another reason they do it, is because some of us "want" hair soo bad we will go to extreme and pay the ridiculous prices.We figure oh if its that expensive it must be good.

Instead of trying to figure out what to use how to use, learn how to take care your hair relaxed or natural.

My Friend

I know a business is about making money but enough is enough.....anyone know how to make castor oil at home?

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Just saw this on Castor Oil: Not Just for Sick Stomachs Anymore - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

For sure, no one should try to make castor oil by hand. The seeds of the castor bean are among the most deadly seeds on earth. As well as containing castor oil, the seeds of the castor bean plant also contain ricin -- a poison which is extremely toxic and most often fatal to insects, animals, and humans. In fact, nearly every type of animal is susceptible to ricin poisoning. Sap-sucking insects will die within 24 hours of eating castor bean foliage and the plant is fatally toxic to pets and livestock such as dogs, rabbits, horses, chickens, ducks, cattle, goats, sheep, and swine as well.

So I would rather stick to the Walmart/Target/local pharmacy brand than to try to make it.

Keen

Yes this is a common practice. I remember I used to buy this Indian cream recommended here for $3.95. a year later, it was $7.95. So I stop buying it. I loved the cream but I wasn't about to contribute to us being taken advantage of.

NicBenny

I actually picked up a bottle of JBCO in the beauty salon today and it was priced at $29.95. I have to think twice before spending that kind of money. No can do! I'm a products junkie, but thats a bit much for me.

LifeafterLHCF

Its sad like the other ladies have said its because we as black women will spend the car note to get that new remy lacefront and will spend the babys gerber food money to get some gel or other products.There are some deeper issues I see after taking my diversity course about the Korean/African American dynamic but they know ppl will pay

PocketVenus

Oh my goodness. I got a 16oz bottle of Now Foods castor oil for 6-7$ and I saw a 32 oz bottle of a different brand for 13$, at my local grocery store (fairway in nyc). I've been using the now foods castor oil for almost 4 months now and it works fantastically. $30 for 8oz is a rip.off. It's so sad how people are willing to take advantage of others...even if trying to make a profit.

EllePixie

That's crazy...I have never paid more that $10 for an 8oz bottle of JBCO. I would have showed him an online site and asked him why the heck I would pay that.

But...I also have to add the caveat that while black women's hair products are extremely overpriced, so are many targeted towards white women that promise to make their hair sleek, shiny and frizz free. Kerastase prices are RIDIC, and that's retail, not some dude at a random shop ripping people off.

Vashti

I have a 16 oz bottle of castor oil that only cost me around $13.00. So $29.99 is a rip off. Bought it in July and it's still only half way done. I NEVER go to Korean beauty supply stores anymore. Nothing against Koreans as a people but I've seen too much bullsh*t go down at those stores between us and them where I live. They're also really rude. :perplexed If I can't find my products at a grocery store or the drugstore I buy it online.

Noir

Hair products targeted to white women (although I buy them) are priced way higher than those targeted to us...Pureology, keratease, Ojon etc. My main issue is that a lot of 'our' products are full of junk, esp those sold at the BSS :(

LushLox

I hope to go to St Thomas, Jamaica at the end of the year where they make the oil and buy a few bottles dirt cheap.

blackbarbietea

I walk into the korean man's BSS. Wink at his sexy son which appropriately shows me to the section for ORS hair products. I grab a few things, a comb, hair wrap and an eyebrow tweezer and keep on steppin. ironically enough, the ORS products at the korean store are cheaper. And not to mention I get full service. :lick:

But yea, the korean BSS are redic.:nono: I only go for what I know is cheap and what i really NEED. They already know I'm not buying no jbco. I got a bottle of walgreenes castor oil sitting on my dresser now 8oz for $4. that's all i need.:yep:

bludaydreamr

^^ I've been to Jamaica twice two different places and haven't even see a bottle. Be careful the natives told me that the homemade versions have salt in it, I would only buy a brand I was familiar with. The last JBCO I've found wasn't even made in Jamaica I think its made in the states.

blackbarbietea

^^ I've been to Jamaica twice two different places and haven't even see a bottle. Be careful the natives told me that the homemade versions have salt in it, I would only buy a brand I was familiar with. The last JBCO I've found wasn't even made in Jamaica I think its made in the states.

That's false advertising then. it should be called. US SOIL BLACK CASTOR OIL.

DivaD04

Thanks My Friend.....I've never looked at it like that until now....for $16, I did buy an 8oz bottle from honey fig! even though it has lasted going on 2 yrs.....I won't buy another bottle that's over $4...okay maybe $5. I don't shop in bss that much unless I want to quickly pick something up.

Overpriced and out of line;
So like last week, I looked at some eco styler that looked 3/4 full in some containers and other were half or maybe 5/8 full....different colors, and just plain old looking. I wanted some but like the hair I wanted for twists, they were over priced for my taste. I'm pitching pennies and I refuse to spend over a dime when the product is not worth the cents in my pocket.

Last edited:

empressri

Um...the haircare industry makes money PERIOD, it's not just "black products" that are expensive. Ever went into sephora?? I've seen cheaper things with better ingredients compared to some of the crap in sephora.

VidaStarr

Um...the haircare industry makes money PERIOD, it's not just "black products" that are expensive. Ever went into sephora?? I've seen cheaper things with better ingredients compared to some of the crap in sephora.

Man exactly. People buy overpriced stuff because they associate cost with quality. "$29.95 to grow my hair? it MUST work!"