why do my hair strands look/feel like this?

celiabug

Some parts of my hair strands are thicker than other parts, like its not consistant. I dont know what that means. i cant explain it very well and i dont know whats causing it.. can anyone help me out with this. i feel like this could be a reason im having breakage issues.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
It means your cuticle layers have been chipped off. This happens from everyday wear and tear (combing putting in ponytails excessive heat, over processed hair, etc). Yes breakage can occur when the cuticle layers are damaged.

Are you relaxed or natural and What is your daily routine?

belldandy

do you flat iron your hair? i used to flat iron excessively and many of my strands felt like that...
are you relaxed?

celiabug

im natural and i usually where my hair in a bun everyday. i wear it out maybe once every 2 weeks. i straighten it like every other month.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
How often are you combing your hair, too much manipulation especially for naturals causes the chips in the cuticle layer becaue the coils are in constant contact with a comb that takes it unnaturally out of its shape. Try moisturizing and sealing and using your hands to manuever you hair into the bun. Use a soft bristle boars head brush to brush only the flyaways back. It takes some practive but it is possible.

celiabug

i comb my hair with a wide tooth comb everytime i wash it like every 2 days or sometimes 3. sometimes i use a rattail comb because i get sooo many knots. but only after its super detangled.

belldandy

perhaps it is the use of the rattail comb, or inappropiate technique with the times that you do use heat on your hair?

kblc06

You may just have thready textured hair. My hair is like this and it is not unhealthy- it's just that as it grows out of the scalp, the cuticle flattens and re-curves creating the spiral S shape that is distinctive of afro textured hair.

Sistaslick

You may just have thready textured hair. My hair is like this and it is not unhealthy- it's just that as it grows out of the scalp, the cuticle flattens and re-curves creating the spiral S shape that is distinctive of afro textured hair.

I agree with this as well. The shape of our follicles plays a major role in how the hair is shaped and textured as it emerges from the scalp. For many of us, the texture is not consistent even along the same strand-- and this is normal.

Changes along the strand can also be a dietary thing. Shifts in your diet affect the quality of your strands coming out. If you go through a period of illness for example, the hair that grows during that period can come out looking differently than say when you were at the peak of health. Taking supplements may also affect things. You can really see this happen with your nails. They both respond to changes in diet and health over time.

And as others have mentioned, damage could also easily play a role. Sometimes flat ironing and even smoothing during relaxing can stretch the hair fiber in parts along the strand to the point where its permanently thinned (and lengthened) in one section. Most times it isn't continuous along the entire strand.