Why do some follow only certain parts of the Bible?

tmrskltn

I am very confused by this, i personally think that if your going to be serious about serving God, and u believe in the Bible, why not all of it? How can we pick parts ? I am not here to judge anyone, but would love to hear others opinions, I am currently stuck on a part that talks about a woman praying with her head uncovered, i really want to do what the Bible says but it can be a little confusing sometimes...and also it seems people will take one scripture and interpret it 20 different ways. Want this to stay civil, just looking for others thoughts. May God Bless us all in this quest for peace, and everlasting life .

It depends on what you mean by picking parts.

Some people make a distinction between old testament law and new testament law.
Others pay alot of attention to cultural differences.
Others just pick what they believe is relevant to them.

The last is wrong. The second depends. The first isnt wrong however in most ways following the new convenant fulfills the old convenant.

I am very confused by this, i personally think that if your going to be serious about serving God, and u believe in the Bible, why not all of it? How can we pick parts ? I am not here to judge anyone, but would love to hear others opinions, I am currently stuck on a part that talks about a woman praying with her head uncovered, i really want to do what the Bible says but it can be a little confusing sometimes...and also it seems people will take one scripture and interpret it 20 different ways. Want this to stay civil, just looking for others thoughts. May God Bless us all in this quest for peace, and everlasting life .

Personally I think there are some terrible translations of the bible out there. You really need to do your own research and find a great translation. Also STUDY the bible. Find out what the Greek and Hebrew meanings are of certain words so that you can get a better understanding of the scripture. The best English Translation is The King James Version which is translated directly from Greek and Hebrew.

Also I think it's VERY important that you learn the bible and have a holistic understanding if it. Sadly many people only follow parts of the bible they like and make excuses why they won't honor all of God's word like when it comes to premarital sex for example.

Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.

So basically when Jesus came back, it doesn’t mean that any laws before his time were null and void. It still applies. The only thing we don't have to do is sacrifice animals because Jesus spilled his blood so what we can all be redeemed. I hope that answers your question.

because they are hypocrites and/or lukewarm Christians. Period. Point. Blank.

“‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. Rev3:15-16

Whoever says 'I know him' but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him." 1 John 2:4

All Christians, myself included either are, were, or will be guilty of this at some point between birth and death. We have to learn to recognize it for what it is and seek help from both God, as well as other Christians who may be able to help us to stop these bad characteristics.

Context, history, the culture it was addressing...and the ability of the bible to translate to every culture in every place and time, to fit their needs... I wouldn't consider not covering one's head to be sinful.

Back